Passed City Governments

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser54886

I would think the advantage of forming a "Government" which could have a series of effects on every city you own would be sufficient... I would probably keep the governments more in era though communist doesn't really fit...

You could make it that the capital always has a colony ship... or some special effect like this this would mean it is always the centre of your nation...

Theocracy - The Statue increase favor production in any city by 20% and all myth units cost 10% less favour to build but 20% more resources 5% increase in silver production.

Democracy - All cities construct buildings and recruit units 10% faster and cheaper but resource gathering is all 5% slower.

Monarchy - The production of resources is 20% faster in all cities but research takes 50% longer.

Oligarchy - Heroes cost 20% less to recruit and 10% less to level 10% decrease in silver production.

Aristocracy - Resource gathering rates are 5% slower, but warehouse capacity is double and each city gains 250 extra population.

Dictatorship - The strength of all land units is increased by 10% but they cost 5% longer and more to train.

Empire - The strength and speed of all sea units is increased by 5% but wood production is decreased by 5%.

City States - (Initial Position) No change to standards rules, no anarchy when changing from this government form to another or losing your capital, player may remain in this form if they wish...

Anarchy - No resource gathering, No construction, No recruitment, Soldiers will not attack or defend your cities during this period (24 hours when changing government)

DeletedUser31385

Anarchy - No resource gathering, No construction, No recruitment, Soldiers will not attack or defend your cities during this period (24 hours when changing government)

By "soldiers will not attack", do you mean that you can't attack others or that you can't be attacked.

Also, I feel the capital should be more valuable than a regular city (specific bonuses available to just the capital). I have removed communistic. I will leave Mythocracy though (that one is just something I came up with).

I decided on increased building levels and new researches for capitals. However, if a capital gets conquered... the player is subject to same punishments that he/she would receive for changing the government.

DeletedUser54192

Loving the idea overall. Might be a bit hard to get the hang of quickly, but I would say it could be a good long-term improvement. However if enough players weren't in favour of it, perhaps it could become another world setting, i.e. it only appears in certain worlds, in the same way as morale is only used in certain worlds.

Dictatorship- Your people despise you and thus your city will be conquered 12.5% faster.
If someone else has already asked and been answered, I apologise. But how would this situation work in a Revolt world? Would the blue revolt be 12.5% shorter, meaning that red revolt turns up more quickly? That's often a disadvantage in terms of getting support to your city in time, but if the enemy doesn't know that you have chosen Dictatorship for your city, it could work in the defender's favour.

2 examples of how it would favour the defender in this case:
- The enemy has a 23-24 hour CS time, and wants to only send once they know that they have successfully started a revolt. Suddenly they've started a revolt, but their CS can't make it in time, through no fault of their own.
- The enemy launches their CS before the revolt attack lands, again intended to land 23-24 hours after the revolt attack. This time, they can't recall the CS, and it is guaranteed to bounce off the enemy city because the target city won't be in red revolt at that stage.

Still, I love the idea. I just happened to notice this, and wonder how it would work for revolt, as that is the main type of server that I play in.

DeletedUser31385

Loving the idea overall. Might be a bit hard to get the hang of quickly, but I would say it could be a good long-term improvement. However if enough players weren't in favour of it, perhaps it could become another world setting, i.e. it only appears in certain worlds, in the same way as morale is only used in certain worlds.

If someone else has already asked and been answered, I apologise. But how would this situation work in a Revolt world? Would the blue revolt be 12.5% shorter, meaning that red revolt turns up more quickly? That's often a disadvantage in terms of getting support to your city in time, but if the enemy doesn't know that you have chosen Dictatorship for your city, it could work in the defender's favour.

2 examples of how it would favour the defender in this case:
- The enemy has a 23-24 hour CS time, and wants to only send once they know that they have successfully started a revolt. Suddenly they've started a revolt, but their CS can't make it in time, through no fault of their own.
- The enemy launches their CS before the revolt attack lands, again intended to land 23-24 hours after the revolt attack. This time, they can't recall the CS, and it is guaranteed to bounce off the enemy city because the target city won't be in red revolt at that stage.

Still, I love the idea. I just happened to notice this, and wonder how it would work for revolt, as that is the main type of server that I play in.
Yes, the blue revolt would be 12.5% shorter.

I suggested some researches. I would like to have 6-9 researches total. Here is what I have come up with as of this point:

1. Improved Weapons - Your soldiers' weapons are more efficient thus your troops strength is increased by 10%.
  2. Imperial Guard - Your city guard is reinforced with an additional 10 warriors per farm level.
  3. Reinforced Hulls - Your ships hulls are reinforced with bronze and are thus harder to destroy. Your naval troops strength is increased by 10%.
  4. Irrigation - Your city can provide for 500 more residents.

Last edited:

DeletedUser54192

Yes, the blue revolt would be 12.5% shorter.

Will you be able to see the type of government in a spy report? Because otherwise, the punishment for dictatorship can be a benefit at times, in terms of ruining enemy plans based on long CS travel times, as the enemy won't know the you have chosen Dictatorship. It works very well in conquest, as there is only one time window to actually change, but with revolt, it seems like moving the red revolt window could have a positive or negative effect for the defender. I suppose as we see more and more people just using short range CSs, it would be fine, but it still seems odd to have a punishment that could actually benefit the defender under certain circumstances.

DeletedUser31385

Will you be able to see the type of government in a spy report? Because otherwise, the punishment for dictatorship can be a benefit at times, in terms of ruining enemy plans based on long CS travel times, as the enemy won't know the you have chosen Dictatorship. It works very well in conquest, as there is only one time window to actually change, but with revolt, it seems like moving the red revolt window could have a positive or negative effect for the defender. I suppose as we see more and more people just using short range CSs, it would be fine, but it still seems odd to have a punishment that could actually benefit the defender under certain circumstances.

Yes... I will add that you can see what government a player has in spy reports and attack reports in which the attacking player won.

DeletedUser54192

That sounds good, and should counter the anarchy issue as well as help with simulations for attacking cities with governments that benefit defence in some way.

DeletedUser31385

That sounds good, and should counter the anarchy issue as well as help with simulations for attacking cities with governments that benefit defence in some way.
Would you have any suggestions for additional researches?

DeletedUser54192

The researches are just for the capital city, correct? Just trying to make sure I understand each bit correctly.

DeletedUser54192

Yes, they are for just the capital.
Okay, thanks. :)

Would you have any suggestions for additional researches?
I hadn't thought of any before, but I came up with two now:
  • Ritual Sacrifice - The priests sacrifice a domestic animal to the gods when the city is in danger, increasing the defensive strength of all mythical units in the city by 10%.
  • Stealth - Your spies receive additional training in the art of travelling unnoticed, and thus move 20% faster.

I don't know if the percentages are particularly balanced for those. I didn't want to make a stackable duplicate of Divine Selection, hence why I limited the benefit of Ritual Sacrifice to defensive strength. I'll see if I can think of some more soon.

DeletedUser31385

I will look into those researches later.

I explained how this balance would work:

The further a city is from the capital, the less benefit it receives.
  • Cities located within 24 hours (divided by unit speed) of the capital by colony ship will have 100% benefit.
  • Every additional 2 hours would result in -1% benefit/punishment. A city 224 hours away from the capital (on a world with unit speed 1) would have no benefit or punishment.

DeletedUser54192

I will look into those researches later.

I explained how this balance would work:

The further a city is from the capital, the less benefit it receives.
  • Cities located within 24 hours (divided by unit speed) of the capital by colony ship will have 100% benefit.
  • Every additional 2 hours would result in -1% benefit/punishment. A city 224 hours away from the capital (on a world with unit speed 1) would have no benefit or punishment.
Nice balance idea. Although by percentages, I meant the initial percentages for the research. A capital city with Level 35 wall, Tower, Phalanx, Divine Selection, Improved Weapons, Imperial Guard, Ritual Sacrifice, Leonidas and then either Oligarchy or Mythocracy would be the ultimate DLU turtle, and extremely hard to ever take. I know it's meant to be hard to take the capital, but I feel that these benefits, when stacked, could be a little too powerful.

DeletedUser31385

Nice balance idea. Although by percentages, I meant the initial percentages for the research. A capital city with Level 35 wall, Tower, Phalanx, Divine Selection, Improved Weapons, Imperial Guard, Ritual Sacrifice, Leonidas and then either Oligarchy or Mythocracy would be the ultimate DLU turtle, and extremely hard to ever take. I know it's meant to be hard to take the capital, but I feel that these benefits, when stacked, could be a little too powerful.
I scaled those back by 50%.

I changed the percentages for Oligarchy and Monarchy to 10% from 15% so they wouldn't be too powerful. Mythocracy shouldn't be extremely powerful.

DeletedUser54192

Ah, okay. That sounds good. :)

And yes. I possibly overestimated the power level of Mythocracy. Just that I know defences using myth units can be considerably more efficient than just plain DLU. But I suppose the difficulty of making large numbers of myths balances that by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31385

Ah, okay. That sounds good. :)

And yes. I possibly overestimated the power level of Mythocracy. Just that I know defences using myth units can be considerably more efficient than just plain DLU. But I suppose the difficulty of making large numbers of myths balances that by itself.
That and the fact that 2.5 favor lost for every dead myth unit would result in -150 favor if a nuke of 60 manticore died. If the player is decently large, it would only hurt them for a short amount of time.

DeletedUser54192

True, yes. I forgot about the downside.

Do you need any more ideas for researches?

DeletedUser54192

Yes... I could use a few please
  • Master architect - Your buildings have been designed to be more durable than normal. Catapults are 5% weaker against your walls and the stone hail effect is 10% weaker against your buildings.
  • Skilled physicians - The physicians in your city are quicker in restoring the health of their patients. You may activate the militia every 2 hours, instead of every 3 hours.
I'm not quite sure if the level of effect is right on either bonus, but those are 2 other ideas that I could come up with. The militia would be a small boost, but would add up if you were under constant attack for a long period of time, or had regular skirmishes that were sometimes too close to each other for the militia to finish its cooldown. The bonus against catapults was something I was toying with, but I don't know if it would be too powerful.

DeletedUser54886

Yes... I will add that you can see what government a player has in spy reports and attack reports in which the attacking player won.
I would only have it that you see the government if you spy the capital... and yes - that would mean some times the defender gains an adavantage...this offsets the advantages the attacker may get from their government type...

Status
Not open for further replies.