Passed City Governments

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser31385

I would only have it that you see the government if you spy the capital... and yes - that would mean some times the defender gains an adavantage...this offsets the advantages the attacker may get from their government type...
Duly noted.
---
I will look at the researches tomorrow. I will come up with something so that way we have 9 researches.

DeletedUser54886

Agreed!

I think it best to incorporate all the feedback and re-write the post, as we did with the Persian Invasion one... it reduces the complexity of the idea if it is well structured and written up that way...

DeletedUser54192

Agreed!

I think it best to incorporate all the feedback and re-write the post, as we did with the Persian Invasion one... it reduces the complexity of the idea if it is well structured and written up that way...
Figtree is editing all the additions/changes into the original post, so while it may make a few of the older posts a bit confusing, the current version of the idea is all in one place for people to read.

DeletedUser54886

Yeah - I saw he was doing that - but to be honest I find that confusing... its like having the end of the book on the first page... those stories are annoying!

DeletedUser31385

I will be working on this idea more during the weekend. Sorry, I had something come up and I didn't have time to deal with adding more to this idea.

dianices

Phrourach
Loving the idea overall. Might be a bit hard to get the hang of quickly, but I would say it could be a good long-term improvement. However if enough players weren't in favour of it, perhaps it could become another world setting, i.e. it only appears in certain worlds, in the same way as morale is only used in certain worlds.

If someone else has already asked and been answered, I apologise. But how would this situation work in a Revolt world? Would the blue revolt be 12.5% shorter, meaning that red revolt turns up more quickly? That's often a disadvantage in terms of getting support to your city in time, but if the enemy doesn't know that you have chosen Dictatorship for your city, it could work in the defender's favour.

2 examples of how it would favour the defender in this case:
- The enemy has a 23-24 hour CS time, and wants to only send once they know that they have successfully started a revolt. Suddenly they've started a revolt, but their CS can't make it in time, through no fault of their own.
- The enemy launches their CS before the revolt attack lands, again intended to land 23-24 hours after the revolt attack. This time, they can't recall the CS, and it is guaranteed to bounce off the enemy city because the target city won't be in red revolt at that stage.

Still, I love the idea. I just happened to notice this, and wonder how it would work for revolt, as that is the main type of server that I play in.

weeelll, yeah, but dictators can be benevolent too, are we ruling that out?

DeletedUser54192

weeelll, yeah, but dictators can be benevolent too, are we ruling that out?
True, but this is meant to be the disadvantage of choosing that type of government, whereas there are scenarios where the supposed disadvantage of Dictatorship is actually an advantage on revolt worlds. Although now that you mention it, not all dictators are hated/feared. Perhaps it could be called Tyranny instead?

dianices

Phrourach
that's not out of the mythos. tyranny WAS a form of government in that region during those times, almost every form of government in and near ancient greece had a few varieties to them. it was just a matter of what direction you took it, kind of like "FABLE"

and there's an idea, why not have a city government depend on choices, like say the island quests we have now? each decision has an effect on the direction your capital takes and any resulting benefits or consequences

DeletedUser31385

True, but this is meant to be the disadvantage of choosing that type of government, whereas there are scenarios where the supposed disadvantage of Dictatorship is actually an advantage on revolt worlds. Although now that you mention it, not all dictators are hated/feared. Perhaps it could be called Tyranny instead?
I will make that change.

that's not out of the mythos. tyranny WAS a form of government in that region during those times, almost every form of government in and near ancient greece had a few varieties to them. it was just a matter of what direction you took it, kind of like "FABLE"

and there's an idea, why not have a city government depend on choices, like say the island quests we have now? each decision has an effect on the direction your capital takes and any resulting benefits or consequences
Should there be a kind of... I don't know... reputation system based upon the choices a player makes in regards to island quests that would have effects on the government?

dianices

Phrourach
there's ways reputation can be manipulated, but of the systems i know, one deals with factions and rewards in gaining reputation with those factions. the other is determined by your choices towards one limit of good versus another limit of evil, again, with rewards, AND restrictions.......according to which reputation is stronger.

an example would be impaling citizens suspected of treason. some choices would become more available, some not as easily, and some actions would take more time and produce less, while others would take less time and produce more. this could also have an effect on the outcome of combat, sort of the way luck and morale do, but based on how you govern, not the difference in experience.

DeletedUser31385

there's ways reputation can be manipulated, but of the systems i know, one deals with factions and rewards in gaining reputation with those factions. the other is determined by your choices towards one limit of good versus another limit of evil, again, with rewards, AND restrictions.......according to which reputation is stronger.

an example would be impaling citizens suspected of treason. some choices would become more available, some not as easily, and some actions would take more time and produce less, while others would take less time and produce more. this could also have an effect on the outcome of combat, sort of the way luck and morale do, but based on how you govern, not the difference in experience.
Quests would be +1/-1, +2/-2, or something else. There could be other actions involved as far as gaining/losing rep.

DeletedUser54495

So... the capital city is like a super city?

Question: If you have senate 26 and all the buildings maxed as a capital city, if you demolish senate to 25 what happens? do youu lose all the capital city buildings?

DeletedUser31385

So... the capital city is like a super city?

Question: If you have senate 26 and all the buildings maxed as a capital city, if you demolish senate to 25 what happens? do youu lose all the capital city buildings?
It functions as any other building. You just can't upgrade the other buildings that require level 26 senate.

DeletedUser54495

Not sure if we are quite on the same page, so I will elaborate:

1. I upgrade the senate in one of my cities to 26

2. I then proceed to upgrade
  • Warehouse to 50
  • Timber Camp to 50
  • Quarry to 50
  • Silver Mine to 50
  • Farm to 60
  • Marketplace to 40
  • Barracks to 40
  • Harbor to 40
  • Temple to 36
  • Academy to 45
  • City Wall to 35
3. Later I want to change my capital city so I demolish my senate to 25

What happens? Do all those buildings get demolished as well to their non-capital city max levels? Or do they stay at those high levels?

DeletedUser31385

Not sure if we are quite on the same page, so I will elaborate:

1. I upgrade the senate in one of my cities to 26

2. I then proceed to upgrade
  • Warehouse to 50
  • Timber Camp to 50
  • Quarry to 50
  • Silver Mine to 50
  • Farm to 60
  • Marketplace to 40
  • Barracks to 40
  • Harbor to 40
  • Temple to 36
  • Academy to 45
  • City Wall to 35
3. Later I want to change my capital city so I demolish my senate to 25

What happens? Do all those buildings get demolished as well to their non-capital city max levels? Or do they stay at those high levels?
They would just stay the same. It is like you have a harbor and the senate level goes down to 13. You just cant upgrade the harbor. The harbor itself wont go down in level.

DeletedUser54192

They would just stay the same. It is like you have a harbor and the senate level goes down to 13. You just cant upgrade the harbor. The harbor itself wont go down in level.
I assume that the researches in the academy would remain as well?

DeletedUser54192

Yes, they would.
I think I see Kannerak's concern. What would stop players from selecting a capital city, building up the extra levels to those buildings, then switching their capital to another city and repeating the process? It seems like a fairly easy way to fortify a core island. For instance, you could turn a few core islands into complete fortresses just with the Level 35 wall, Tower, and the extra researches from the academy, and still be able to have your capital somewhere else after that.

DeletedUser31385

I think I see Kannerak's concern. What would stop players from selecting a capital city, building up the extra levels to those buildings, then switching their capital to another city and repeating the process? It seems like a fairly easy way to fortify a core island. For instance, you could turn a few core islands into complete fortresses just with the Level 35 wall, Tower, and the extra researches from the academy, and still be able to have your capital somewhere else after that.
Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.