Closing Down Shop?

DeletedUser41523

Over the past few months we've had a rapid release of speed worlds, thousands of forum accounts collapse into guest accounts, and the player's council close down. I was just wondering if this is Inno preparing to close down shop here.

DeletedUser56207

Over the past few months we've had a rapid release of speed worlds, thousands of forum accounts collapse into guest accounts, and the player's council close down. I was just wondering if this is Inno preparing to close down shop here.

i can sense something happening as well, however, first sign of grepo going down would be removal of other local markets before international market closes down.

1saaa

Strategos
i guess we better start paying the bills then... as long as people continue to buy gold in large quantities Inno will probably keep the game going. but what they may do is give it less of there time (and resources) by removing less essential things to maximise profit. they know that people will continue to buy gold as long as they think it will help them win.

DeletedUser41523

With the worlds getting smaller and smaller every year, it’s gonna hit a point where people don’t buy gold because the game will be too dead to be worth it.

Mole man 420

Phrourach
With the worlds getting smaller and smaller every year, it’s gonna hit a point where people don’t buy gold because the game will be too dead to be worth it.
TSF youve known me for years in this game and have legit tried convincing me to olay over here on EN servers.. i finally a few months back because of this exact reason over on US servers. Worlds are ridiculously small.. your basically playing serious grep players only who spend way too much $$ and the world doesnt even expand past the 4 main oceans worth of ppl... the game is def dying and tbh if Inno cared theyd advertise again like back in 2012 with there commercials

DeletedUser41523

Tbf EN worlds are more competitive still. But yeah world size has definitely decreased.

DeletedUser46838

I remember when worlds had around 40K members (2 years ago, around Rhammus) and some people couldn't even go into the world due to the cap being 40K.

When you looked at the world's map, there were literally oceans 2-3 oceans outside of the core that were completely filled with cities. Now, when you look at the worlds now, they barely even cover the core. Signs that this tell us that Grepolis, if not Innogames themselves, are losing money at a gradual rate due to players leavin.g

DeletedUser54192

There's certainly a lack of advertising for Grepolis, compared to what there used to be. TV advertisements, website banners, etc. Recently, the only advertising that I have seen for Grepolis is a little still image hidden in inconspicuous places on a couple of mini game websites. In contrast, I see frequent advertisements for Warlords of Aeternum (Inno's newest game, and app-only, so far as I recall) in-game when playing other app games.

I think finally bringing out Domination was an attempt to increase player retention (for those bored of World Wonders). However adding a new, different endgame could also have been a great lynchpin for advertising Grepolis to bring a new influx of players. Unfortunately, they either missed (or decided not to take) this opportunity.

I really hope that Inno is not in preparation to close down this game (and by extension, it's community), but the evidence of decline is there.

DeletedUser56207

There's certainly a lack of advertising for Grepolis, compared to what there used to be. TV advertisements, website banners, etc. Recently, the only advertising that I have seen for Grepolis is a little still image hidden in inconspicuous places on a couple of mini game websites. In contrast, I see frequent advertisements for Warlords of Aeternum (Inno's newest game, and app-only, so far as I recall) in-game when playing other app games.

I think finally bringing out Domination was an attempt to increase player retention (for those bored of World Wonders). However adding a new, different endgame could also have been a great lynchpin for advertising Grepolis to bring a new influx of players. Unfortunately, they either missed (or decided not to take) this opportunity.

I really hope that Inno is not in preparation to close down this game (and by extension, it's community), but the evidence of decline is there.

they havent advertised domination anywhere at all, friend from gen 1 worlds told me they finished this new endgame otherwise i would not have known about it at all, so not exactly sure how making a new endgame helped them increase player base considering they havent advertised it anywhere...

DeletedUser54192

they havent advertised domination anywhere at all, friend from gen 1 worlds told me they finished this new endgame otherwise i would not have known about it at all, so not exactly sure how making a new endgame helped them increase player base considering they havent advertised it anywhere...
I was stating that it seemed like a move to increase player retention (i.e. reduce the number of players leaving the game), but that it could have been used to bring in more players if it had been advertised (which Inno either didn't consider, or decided not to do).

DeletedUser52860

there have been some news feed ads on facebook for domination that i have seen?

DeletedUser54192

• Mass-pacting is an issue, when it occurs in ways similar to En110 Leontini, where the majority of the top alliances were on the same side for a while (I don't know if they still are). The situation actually hasn't been as bad on En103/108, as while there have been a number of pacts going around, the main teams have been split into 2-3 hostile factions.
  • Domination was Inno's attempt to prevent these tactics from being viable. While the actions of certain alliances on En110 Leontini were disappointing, the apparent resulting stalemate in Domination percentages may be a strong deterrent for people considering trying to bring those tactics to Domination again.
  • The debate of whether premades are good or bad for the game is a long and controversial one. It can be tough to join the game, only to be hit hard by a larger and more-experienced team (as I experienced on En94, against HEROES). However:
    • Those hard-hitters aren't always premades.
    • Premades as a whole aren't this completely elitist club that only multi-year veterans can get into. Some are more restrictive than others, true.
    • Those who persevere through this bumpy introduction to the game will often benefit from the experience (despite some of my feelings at the time, I wouldn't go back and change the events of early En94, for a personal example).
Remember, this is a topic about what we make of Inno's actions, not a general "let's all moan about other people" thread. Take that to a trash talk thread somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser54775

This is issue is very relevant. We are facing the possible demise of the game and community and you are concentrating on your own feelings.

What you are going to do to try to recruit new players? What you are going to do to stop the mega hugging that these leaders have made common practice?

DeletedUser36697

why bring in new people and have them (noobs) subjected to you?

DeletedUser54192

• I don't think it's quite a sudden "last legs" situation. The game has been in decline for a while, with Inno preferring to get involved with it's other games over this one. But the lack of a game close enough to Grepolis (at least to my knowledge), means that a lot of the regular players will probably stay here due to the community aspect, if nothing else, so long as no mimic competitor game turns up.
  • I suppose one thing to be done is for those criticising the tactics of existing alliances to step up and organise alliances that solve those problems. For example, I believe it's been suggested on multiple occasions that you set up a democratic, non-premade alliance to prove that it is a viable and positive strategy for the game as you say it is. Do you intend to follow through on this?

DeletedUser47953

I have run my own WE BE PIRATES alliance on several worlds and always have run it as a both elite group requiring strict rules of activity and also as a teaching group willing to take in new people, preferably experienced, but also noobs. However, the drop in playership has led to the same groups of players on Skype ruining each world with massive coalitions of alliances and what I call seed players all over the server who infiltrate any good alliance coming up. I’ve taken and controlled an ocean and a half, but the Empire players have shut me down for several servers since then. My last 2k gold probably won’t be spent if it is against the same people playing the same servers. Honestly, the last 400 millionaires who win every server with gold can have the game. In real life, I know they aren’t more than retirees and trust fund idiots who never earned a life. I’ll live a real life, not get my jollies spending 1k dollars a week with 200 friends to punish anyone insolent enough to make a top 20 alliance on 20 bucks a weeks. Sorry folks, you just don’t matter in real life. The devs let the game be bought and the vampires have taken over. The game was good until people ruined it by cheating. Skype isn’t cheating, but 300 players on Skype with spies in every alliance is. It’s not a game anymore.

DeletedUser51423

Once again I have to step in. Personal attacks are not acceptable anywhere on the forum, much less on threads that are actually trying to be constructive. Some posts have been removed and others edited. If you can't keep a civil conversation going here, you'll lose the thread. Please do not make me have to repeat myself again.

DeletedUser41523

Note: I've suggested most of these for the past year or so. But here's what I think would help.

Premades-
I've suggested this before. Make some worlds (not all) where the link and ability to choose your direction are disabled. You'd have to play with your hands dealt.

Player Base- Funnel everyone into an international server by summer of 2020. At this point the tiers on every respective servers are established. They're not changing unless a group quits. I can see why that would get stale on its own. But also a larger world means a deeper set of oceans, which means having a better chance for new players.

Casual Worlds- Simply put, if you're abandoning Hyperborea, take out the 20% limit and instead replace it with the mobile alarm only being set to silent push notifications. This would put everyone on equal ground.

World Types-
The best part about this game is its flexibility and variety of settings that are geared at all kinds of players. When a new account is registered, make it abundantly clear what kind of world they're joining. Maybe automatically drop them into the casual world with a note saying that they are in the casual world and can play another game setting.

They should also try to get the best of every language server to fight each other. Something like a world cup. There's a lot of competitive potential here if its done right.

Advertising- Arguably 2012-2014 was the game's peak in player count. No coincidence that ads ran at the same time.

DeletedUser54775

I have run my own WE BE PIRATES alliance on several worlds and always have run it as a both elite group requiring strict rules of activity and also as a teaching group willing to take in new people, preferably experienced, but also noobs. However, the drop in playership has led to the same groups of players on Skype ruining each world with massive coalitions of alliances and what I call seed players all over the server who infiltrate any good alliance coming up. I’ve taken and controlled an ocean and a half, but the Empire players have shut me down for several servers since then. My last 2k gold probably won’t be spent if it is against the same people playing the same servers. Honestly, the last 400 millionaires who win every server with gold can have the game. In real life, I know they aren’t more than retirees and trust fund idiots who never earned a life. I’ll live a real life, not get my jollies spending 1k dollars a week with 200 friends to punish anyone insolent enough to make a top 20 alliance on 20 bucks a weeks. Sorry folks, you just don’t matter in real life. The devs let the game be bought and the vampires have taken over. The game was good until people ruined it by cheating. Skype isn’t cheating, but 300 players on Skype with spies in every alliance is. It’s not a game anymore.

I agree with your assessment. I have been on those Skype rooms, so this is not something based on speculation.

Oddly, enough these people that you are making reference to get really sensitive when you point the obvious. They start to see personal attacks where there are none intended. However, when someone gets upset or starts to perceive comments as personal attack it is usually a sign that unconsciously they know that you are telling the truth. This is why it highly bothers them.