Newspaper The Pharae times - issue 8 - written and edited by a hell hound

1saaa

Strategos
The pharae times
Contents:
Introduction
Hug This wars update
interview with That Guy
Interview with Jameslongst (when he responds)
Mercs VS true fear
Memes
conclusion

Introduction
Welcome to the least biased paper on the Pharae external forums ;) PM me with your bets on when this thread descends into trash talk. Quite a lot to cover this issue especially with the biggest surprise of the week (mercs collapse). On a serious note it would be amazing if the respectful discussion that ended up happening on the previous thread carried over to this one (leave your salt at the door please)!

Hug This war update
First off an update on Hug This' wars. Hug This has had two major engagements in this past week. the first one was a major engagement with Crusaders which went down on the tale end of last week. Crusaders lost 31 cities over the course of one OP and the aftershocks. Many crusaders players seem to be jumping ship to Old guard (next on the list?). My guess is that hugs will take the rest of the cities in 54 and the remaining crusaders players will be split up by neighbouring alliances. A shame but honestly it was going to happen eventually.

Also this week is another hugs OP on NONAME. By the time this paper is out NONAME will have probably overtaken True Fear in competition for the worst warscore against hugs reward ;) Well done guys! Those who get beaten down but still pick themselves back up are the true heroes of this server.

Interview with that guy
That guy is a former mercs leader who is now picking up the bits when mercs fell apart. he is currently leading the alliance Illuminaughty. Here is my interview with him on the fall of mercs:

Question 1: Mercenaries lost a lot of cities in a very short time. What do you think was the main reason contributing towards those loses?

Answer: We lost so many cities for two main reasons.

First, and more importantly, was because people weren't communicating what was happening to their cities. If you look at who lost cities, the majority of the losses happened to certain individuals. Instead of keeping a constant flow of updates, we mostly had to guess with what was happening. This obviously made it extremely difficult to properly defend these people and their cities. I wouldn't even call it defending so much as hoping that everything will be okay. It really was comparable to defending a ghost.

Second, I believe that we should've immediately started to internalize someone if they got hit and weren't posting or updating. With active players in control of the city, it certainly would've slowed down the rate at which we lost cities.

Had these two things been different, I do believe TF wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as much from us. Yes, we did lose a lot of cities, but if anything it was narrowing down the group to the players we had that were playing as a team. We were getting to a point where TF was going to be stopped because they'd only have active targets remaining but sadly the merge happened before that could.

Question 2: Speaking of the merge. What the hell happened over their?

Answer: Honestly, I'm not sure. I saw no mention of the merge anywhere in the forums before it happened outside of TF was trying to force us to merge. We were lead to believe that it was time to dig in and fight. To say the least, I'm disappointed that this happened. I'm beyond disappointed in those responsible for what happened. I know one thing is for sure though, I'm not going to lay down. This is wrong, I know it's wrong, Mercs leadership knows it's wrong, and TF knows that what they did was wrong. This will haunt them, not just in this server but every server to come.

Question 3: What are your plans for the rest of this server?

Answer: My plans are the same as they've always been: to win or get rimmed trying.

Question 4: Any final statements to direct towards True Fear or its leaders?

Answer: "Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
-John Donne

Not gonna lie i found the response to question 2 quite powerful. I also interviewed Jameslongst to get True Fears perspective on this issue. here are the answers he provided me with:

Question 1: What do you think is the main reason for your offensive success against mercs?

Answer: I have one of the best teams in the history of Grepo.

Question 2: question 2: Could you describe a bit about your merger (i am just going to use that word because i have no idea what else to call it) with mercs?

Answer: You have no idea what else to call it because I haven't told you what to call it yet. This whole server revolves around True Fear. What will we do? What haven't we done? Just try to keep up is all I can say...or ask Thizzle he will tell you what to think.

question 3: do you have any final statement you would like to make to mercs or this server in general?

Answer: Final statement? Am I going somewhere?

There isn't another team in grepo right now quite like True Fear. I love all of them very much. Everyone else can get bent.

I have to say that was a very interesting interview. A very very interesting one... Now onto the actual analysis!

1saaa

Strategos

Mercenaries VS. True Fear
So when this war began i and many others predicted that this was would be True Fear's final mistake. the thing that finally broke through what is otherwise a very tough team to kill. And, oh boy was i wrong. the final score was 44-5 to true fear. a score that shows that True Fear can attack. And they can attack well. True Fear have since taken in many of the former Mercenaries players letting them join Phoenix Centauri. Their is no doubt that this is a victory for True Fear from a pure numbers standpoint but if the interviews are anything to go by their was much more at play here.

First off: Mercenaries clearly had a problem with lack of communication. And, he is right. it is the same people who lost all the cities to True Fear and it seems the same people picking up all the slack. honestly it is partially mercenaries fault for keeping those kind of players around. Second thing i would like to point out: A lot of the cities mercs lost to True Fear were in 45 (to my knowledge). I may be wrong on this but i checked the map fairly frequently and every time i saw that little pocket inside 45 shrink more and more until it was gone.

Another thing to take into account is the surprise of the attack. Their was a pre-arranged NAP of some kind between mercs and true fear. this then collapsed as true fear slammed mercs with a surprise attack out of nowhere.

Over all i would contribute mercenaries fall to a lack of communication from players, a really sneaky pearl harbour style attack on mercenaries and some really dirty diplo stuff similar to alecta nemesis to crush an alliance from the inside. Despite many potentially questionable methods this is still a win for True Fear. no doubt about it. But, i really think that this choice is going to haunt True Fear as this server continues. As that guy said: "This is wrong, I know it's wrong, Mercs leadership knows it's wrong, and TF knows that what they did was wrong. This will haunt them, not just in this server but every server to come." I think NONAME and Hounds should be taking notes. They may be next... But, that is just fruitless speculation of True Fear's next move. For all i know the war against mercs could have been an attempt from True Fear's part to have a full on slugfest or maybe they were annoyed that mercs left the kettle on? I don't know! Okay?! Also, special shout out to Just old me for painting 33 CS' on his wall. I don't know how he fits them all on their.

Memes
As usual feel free to skip this section and remember that it is all just some friendly fun :D

Guess who is who ;)

I really hope i don't get hate for this one...

If you read the Leontini externals you know exactly what i am talking about

A few of those beat a dead horse so please don't come after me :D

Conclusion
A bit of a step down from last issues ridiculous amount of interviews and memes but still fairly chunky nonetheless. I hope you enjoyed and i will happily have a discussion with anyone who wants to. I am ALWAYS open for a PM no matter who the player. I hope this thread can continue to be civil discussion.

1saaa

DeletedUser13524

For the sake of adding comments to this paper instead of the previous one.

Good paper. Good memes. I like the memes. Yes, they're basically the same thing every time but gdi I'm a simple man amused by simple things.

DeletedUser54407

Nice paper! Enjoyable read this one and informative :D

Just on the point of the True Fear/Mercs 'betrayal', if you violate the terms set down by a NAP agreement, don't be surprised if you get attacked. If True Fear hadn't attacked Mercs, it would have been a sign of weakness.

DeletedUser56426

You showed weakness when you went and started attacking right after support had been sent your way. If you weren't weak, you'd have attacked us when we had our forces at home. That's not just weak, that's poor sportsmanship.

Also, how exactly did we break the NAP? Tell me exactly how, because I checked and I didn't see any part of the NAP we allegedly broke. Please correct me if I missed one thing, but to us it seemed you blindsided us because we refused to merge our top 20 players into your alliance.

DeletedUser54407

Also, how exactly did we break the NAP? Tell me exactly how, because I checked and I didn't see any part of the NAP we allegedly broke. Please correct me if I missed one thing, but to us it seemed you blindsided us because we refused to merge our top 20 players into your alliance.

I'm not one of the Leaders of True Fear - far from it - so all this is what I've been told. The NAP said for you to not take cities in O45. Since you(r Alliance) didn't respect those rules, appropriate action was taken.

I'm sorry you thought it was poor sportsmanship but, at the end of the day, if you violate the terms of a NAP, what do you expect?

DeletedUser56439

I'm not one of the Leaders of True Fear - far from it - so all this is what I've been told. The NAP said for you to not take cities in O45. Since you(r Alliance) didn't respect those rules, appropriate action was taken.

I'm sorry you thought it was poor sportsmanship but, at the end of the day, if you violate the terms of a NAP, what do you expect?

Is that what James is telling you. I am sure a quick look through any GRCR tools will show you that was not the case.

jameslongst

Strategos
Is that what James is telling you. I am sure a quick look through any GRCR tools will show you that was not the case.

The NAP was contingent on you not recruiting or expanding in 045. You didn't merge the fallen posiedon's lame crew in 045? You're gonna tell me you didn't recruit players in 045? These things didn't happen right in front of our eyes?

Get over the salt friends, its over. I'm sorry we had that misunderstanding but its all been settled. Be at peace.

DeletedUser56439

The NAP was contingent on you not recruiting or expanding in 045. You didn't merge the fallen posiedon's lame crew in 045? You're gonna tell me you didn't recruit players in 045? These things didn't happen right in front of our eyes?

Get over the salt friends, its over. I'm sorry we had that misunderstanding but its all been settled. Be at peace.

Now the conditions have changed from not taking cities in 045 to not being able to recruit players as well? I also seem to remember the Nap included TF were to stay away from 055. Did they?

The farther you stay away from talking about taking in players the better is it for you James. You took in a alliance that Mercs were at War with or have you forgotten about Alpha Centauri who did have some cities in 055.

I am at peace buddy you should be too rather than manipulating the situation and nit picking, why don't you just drop the act and say it how it is.

DeletedUser38766

Lana i´m not sure how experienced you are at this game but i´m pretty sure your´s perspective will change as well through time. And you will actually start understanding better why and what we actually talking here. You will understand both perspectives better and will know what works better and why...I have actually shared here some very good link that explain all that MRA problem as well, but well well who know, who knows :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser56426

I guess this reveals James' perspective on players and that they're just cities to him, since recruiting is apparently the exact same as taking cities. Glad we finally have that settled!

DeletedUser54407

I guess this reveals James' perspective on players and that they're just cities to him, since recruiting is apparently the exact same as taking cities. Glad we finally have that settled!

Well, if the NAP said no recruiting of players in O45 and no taking cities in O45, or if it said just one of those two... both were broken so the NAP was broken.

DeletedUser56348

Lana i´m not sure how experienced you are at this game but i´m pretty sure your´s perspective will change as well through time. And you will actually start understanding better why and what we actually talking here. You will understand both perspectives better and will know what works better and why...I have actually shared here some very good link that explain all that MRA problem as well, but well well who know, who knows :)

I know absolutely nothing. Total noob here :D
In all seriousness tho, that picture was part of a team building exercise at work teaching ppl to respect other peoples points of view..... always 2 sides to every story....:rolleyes:
And like everyone, my perspective is shaped by my own game experiences past and present, just like everyones has been. No right or wrong in many cases when it comes to a debate

DeletedUser56426

I read through the NAP in our forums several times, it only mentioned taking cities. Besides, if you really want to say we broke the pact by recruiting, then you broke it too and really don't have any room to talk as far as recruitment goes since you recruited in o55. The act of trying to recruit the top 20 mercs players then became a declaration of war since it's comparable to trying to take our cities. But please, continue to excuse your actions by trying to make Mercs look like the bad guy.

DeletedUser56439

Well, if the NAP said no recruiting of players in O45 and no taking cities in O45, or if it said just one of those two... both were broken so the NAP was broken.

Just beating a dead horse at this point. TF players will believe what they believe I doubt me or anyone here is going to change that.

DeletedUser54407

I read through the NAP in our forums several times, it only mentioned taking cities. Besides, if you really want to say we broke the pact by recruiting, then you broke it too and really don't have any room to talk as far as recruitment goes since you recruited in o55. The act of trying to recruit the top 20 mercs players then became a declaration of war since it's comparable to trying to take our cities. But please, continue to excuse your actions by trying to make Mercs look like the bad guy.

I must admit, you seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to paint anybody as the bad guy, I'm just giving you an opinion from a foot-soldier. Firstly, I just want to stress that all I knew before war broke out was that there was a NAP with Mercs. I didn't know the terms - Leadership did. But, I do know that Mercs took cities in O45. And yes, True Fear took some in O55 - on islands where they already had cities which I believe was allowed but perhaps it wasn't? But, when you say "excuse your actions", it's as if you think your own actions had nothing to do with it. All I know is that Mercs took cities in O45 while the NAP was active. That breaks the NAP and means that you are fair game.

Just beating a dead horse at this point. TF players will believe what they believe I doubt me or anyone here is going to change that.

The thing that will change minds is hard evidence. Just like anything - if somebody produces clear evidence contrary to my belief, I am more than happy to let go of that belief. But, that's half the problem with the Externals (and I am not blameless in this!): People believe something and it dissolves into a childish squabble of trying to shout louder.

At the end of the day, True Fear and Mercs had a war, True Fear were strategic (hit semi-actives and O45 settled players before longer-range strikes took cities in the Merc core to cause maximum damage and to demoralise the rest of Merc) and then a deal was reached.

DeletedUser56439

The thing that will change minds is hard evidence. Just like anything - if somebody produces clear evidence contrary to my belief, I am more than happy to let go of that belief. But, that's half the problem with the Externals (and I am not blameless in this!): People believe something and it dissolves into a childish squabble of trying to shout louder.

At the end of the day, True Fear and Mercs had a war, True Fear were strategic (hit semi-actives and O45 settled players before longer-range strikes took cities in the Merc core to cause maximum damage and to demoralise the rest of Merc) and then a deal was reached

Lets just agree to disagree

jameslongst

Strategos

Ya Lana maybe ONE DAY you can UNDERSTAND how smart they are being...how wise and even handed. Maybe one day.

You keep reading thru that NAP buddy...plenty of light on the rim? Want me to turn the overhead on?

DeletedUser56426

I'd say I got under your skin a bit Summer James! But, to answer your question, we hardly see any sun over here :( it's always raining here