Why the need for censorship ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Ok let's say we posted a date that DnD would be open again by. Then let's say we still can't come to a consensus on whether to open it or what the new rules and guidelines should be so we post again giving another date. People are gonna complain that we lied because we gave a false date. DnD won't be open tomorrow or the next day, but we are really working on it. It's hard to come up with a set of rules that allows you all to have enough freedom but also keeps you from going out of control. Different members of the senior staff have different opinions on the matter.

DeletedUser6029

OK, but that is the point. They were saying they were going to open it. Many folks wanted an exact date...they can't (and won't) give us one. I don't mind the fact that they have postponed it now that they have come clean on the lack of hurry. Actually I never really complained to awful much about it, because think about it.

Myself included, are stuck in our ways. We can discuss our differences but politics and religion being what they are, they get ermmmm rowdy. A D&D forum without those topics would be vanilla at best, and those of us who like to dig in and get down would be bored out of their minds. I get that kids are on here, and prior to the closing of the doors I griped about it being the mods who wanted to shut it down because it was to much hassle. I was quickly set straight on it isn't the mods but grepo proper (innogames) who want limitations on it. Can't blame them, can you imagine the occasional 10 year old coming in and
A) seeing a rather colorful topic or
B) has the audacity to make a comment not knowing how vicious we could be, and get slammed.

That being said, the mod team was screwed either way...if they do vanilla it, they lose the spice that made it so popular. If they don't vanilla it, they expose children to stuff that grepo as a "family" game doesn't want to be responsible for. The show of unrestrained rebellion lately (my part included, because I have done my share of raising HeLLo on another forum about another issue...and I am far from finished) How can they trust us to keep our word to maintain standards they will eventually find acceptable? No, I like the compromise that I think Phoenix came up with and it seems that Tyrion has embraced as well. Personally I like the compromise better.

edit: sorry baudin, didn't see your post as I was typing mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
-gasp- -shock- -horror- -indignation- -indigestion- How dare you disregard the post you couldn't see! But yeah that's another thing that's being thrown back and forth. Whether or not DnD is even necessary any more. It's clear we can't bring it back in the manner we had it before as that clearly didn't work. So if it is brought back it would have stricter rules which some of the more liberal posters wouldn't find agreeable. If we have alternatives and other places debates can be held why even bring back DnD? It's just another question we've been talking about. Also I would like to point out this lovely discussion that has been going on for like 5-6 posts. It's quite a refreshing change of pace.

DeletedUser6029

-gasp- -shock- -horror- -indignation- -indigestion- 1How dare you disregard the post you couldn't see! But yeah that's another thing that's being thrown back and forth. Whether or not DnD is even necessary any more. It's clear we can't bring it back in the manner we had it before as that clearly didn't work2. So if it is brought back it would have stricter rules which some of the more liberal posters wouldn't find agreeable. If we have alternatives and other places debates can be held why even bring back DnD? It's just another question we've been talking about. Also I would like to point out this lovely discussion that has been going on for like 5-6 posts. It's quite a refreshing change of pace3.

1 - funny :p
2 - that is crap. We thought it worked just fine ;)
3 - was that sarcasm?

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
1- It took me like a whole minute to think that up
2- You guys may have thought it was working fine but Inno didn't and members of the Mod team didn't either.
3- Nope I was super cereal, nobody losing their cool and getting heated is a good thing. It saddens me when people melt (in this situation everyone is made out of ice or something frozen with a low melting point)

DeletedUser

I thought my input was pretty unique and invaluable though baudin... :p

Also, DnD was no problem while Alpharius was a moderator there.. Unless there's a specific instance you can refer me to while he was moderator that I didn't notice when I was at my most active on this forum? I only ever saw a problem when a senor mod reported my post for flaming when I pretty obviously wasn't flaming anybody (I have no idea who this moderator is, so you're safe from my lovable wrath ;3).

Anyways, I can see why Blade wants this name back, and I can see why you guys decided to fix a problem you perceived. I believe I was the first person to have the super evil link in my signature calling all mods super duper ugly and bad, and would have gladly removed it had one of you kind moderators had simply asked me to.

I didn't put the link in my signature cuz I hate mods, I actually am fond of most of you, but, I don't like you changing my signature without telling me what the hell is going on. I was only interested in that forum as i'm in MS and it gave the kool kids and shiny DnD section which I have no time to post in now anyways. (i also leik my meat the player thrad there and u all shuld be able to it cuz I love it :))

Blame Baudin for that post cuz he deleted my other one which had better grammar, form, and was much more concise.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Alright I apologize for not allowing everyone to see your post Raurio, everyone really would have benefited from reading it and I have just deprived so many of the forum goers from the enlightenment it would have given them. Also I apologize for the lack of message in regards to the signature issue. I'll gladly discuss it at greater length with anyone in PM's. As for the actual problems with DnD when various people modded it I have very little first hand knowledge cause it was before my Mod time. I know the reasons it was shut down but those have been stated before and most of us already know it.

DeletedUser6029

I thought my input was pretty unique and invaluable though baudin... :p

Also, DnD was no problem while Alpharius was a moderator there.. Unless there's a specific instance you can refer me to while he was moderator that I didn't notice when I was at my most active on this forum? I only ever saw a problem when a senor mod reported my post for flaming when I pretty obviously wasn't flaming anybody (I have no idea who this moderator is, so you're safe from my lovable wrath ;3).

Anyways, I can see why Blade wants this name back, and I can see why you guys decided to fix a problem you perceived. I believe I was the first person to have the super evil link in my signature calling all mods super duper ugly and bad, and would have gladly removed it had one of you kind moderators had simply asked me to.

I didn't put the link in my signature cuz I hate mods, I actually am fond of most of you, but, I don't like you changing my signature without telling me what the hell is going on. I was only interested in that forum as i'm in MS and it gave the kool kids and shiny DnD section which I have no time to post in now anyways. (i also leik my meat the player thrad there and u all shuld be able to it cuz I love it :))

Blame Baudin for that post cuz he deleted my other one which had better grammar, form, and was much more concise.

ahhh but see Raurio....loved ya even if you were a serious PIA....that is the problem. I liked Alpha as a mod overall...even as a person as I got to know him....but modding D&D, I had a HUGE problem with. He was biased. And I think that that would be the key huge problem any mod would have had modding that forum. He did get a bit better, but it still brings the valid point of who would be the best mod. Even if they were to have multiple mods at various areas of "views" even the mods would begin to fight over what was acceptable and what wasn't.

DeletedUser

ahhh but see Raurio....loved ya even if you were a serious PIA....that is the problem. I liked Alpha as a mod overall...even as a person as I got to know him....but modding D&D, I had a HUGE problem with. He was biased. And I think that that would be the key huge problem any mod would have had modding that forum. He did get a bit better, but it still brings the valid point of who would be the best mod. Even if they were to have multiple mods at various areas of "views" even the mods would begin to fight over what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Of course he was biased as any person would be in a section that's purely about perspective. I remember I had gotten a infraction from him for making a crack about 4/20 he misinterpreted as me "blahing illicit drugs or somwat." In that situation you message the moderator who has shown a limited perspective on whatever and tell them to prepare their donkey for something unpleasant.

Was your gripe with moderating, or the moderating of Aurave btw?

(OFF-TOPIC, TANGENT TOPIC ALERT, MERP MERP MERP MERP MERP MERP MERP)

DeletedUser6029

Of course he was biased as any person would be in a section that's purely about perspective. I remember I had gotten a infraction from him for making a crack about 4/20 he misinterpreted as me "blahing illicit drugs or somwat." In that situation you message the moderator who has shown a limited perspective on whatever and tell them to prepare their donkey for something unpleasant.

Was your gripe with moderating, or the moderating of Aurave btw?

(OFF-TOPIC, TANGENT TOPIC ALERT, MERP MERP MERP MERP MERP MERP MERP)

probably a little of both. There was more leeway given to those who had similar disdain for the conservative / religious side, which brings us back to the discussion of how would it work, who would mod it............
PS....I always email the mods I am about to let loose. Not one to hide behind my opinions. What you see with me is what you get.

DeletedUser

Thanks for the response Adam, but it didn't seem to take into account Jarp's compromise...

DeletedUser

and it shouldnt :p players can input any ideas or compromises they feel fit the given situation to staff. However the staff discuss it amongst themselves. part of the joys on being staff. not all discussions need to be discussed with the players... in fact the only ones i believe should be discussed with players are factors that change game play. which leaves out the forums 100%.

though if you want to be involved you can always apply to be a moderator.

DeletedUser17088

But then you would become an evil entity with the sole purpose of ruining other peoples enjoyment :D

DeletedUser

OK, but that is the point. They were saying they were going to open it. Many folks wanted an exact date...they can't (and won't) give us one. I don't mind the fact that they have postponed it now that they have come clean on the lack of hurry. Actually I never really complained to awful much about it, because think about it.

Myself included, are stuck in our ways. We can discuss our differences but politics and religion being what they are, they get ermmmm rowdy. A D&D forum without those topics would be vanilla at best, and those of us who like to dig in and get down would be bored out of their minds. I get that kids are on here, and prior to the closing of the doors I griped about it being the mods who wanted to shut it down because it was to much hassle. I was quickly set straight on it isn't the mods but grepo proper (innogames) who want limitations on it. Can't blame them, can you imagine the occasional 10 year old coming in and
A) seeing a rather colorful topic or
B) has the audacity to make a comment not knowing how vicious we could be, and get slammed.

That being said, the mod team was screwed either way...if they do vanilla it, they lose the spice that made it so popular. If they don't vanilla it, they expose children to stuff that grepo as a "family" game doesn't want to be responsible for. The show of unrestrained rebellion lately (my part included, because I have done my share of raising HeLLo on another forum about another issue...and I am far from finished) How can they trust us to keep our word to maintain standards they will eventually find acceptable? No, I like the compromise that I think Phoenix came up with and it seems that Tyrion has embraced as well. Personally I like the compromise better.

edit: sorry baudin, didn't see your post as I was typing mine.

Best post so far.

Its the truth that was obvious but no one seemed to want to say.

+rep

Edited to add:
I might consider putting in an application to be a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4577

But then you would become an evil entity with the sole purpose of ruining other peoples enjoyment
- That was pretty much my sole reason to become a mod again... ;)

DeletedUser

I am scared that they would make DnD 18+. I am 14 but debates are my absoulute favorite thing to do, no matter the content.

DeletedUser

theres an idea.

can a website have a DnD that is visible to different tiers of user ??

So an 18+ account can see perhaps more vigorous arguements with the odd swear word perhaps, whereas the 15, 13 and 11- grades dont see those replies at all.

That might be the best solution.

DeletedUser

theres an idea.

can a website have a DnD that is visible to different tiers of user ??

So an 18+ account can see perhaps more vigorous arguements with the odd swear word perhaps, whereas the 15, 13 and 11- grades dont see those replies at all.

That might be the best solution.

That would just promote rule breaking, even I would be tempted to make a new account. Some 13-17 year olds are mature enough to handle a mature topic and respond well, it would be unfair to them.

And if they honestly feel offended by the content (I doubt they would, public schools are much worse than any forum) they will just not go into the section again.

DeletedUser6029

I am scared that they would make DnD 18+. I am 14 but debates are my absoulute favorite thing to do, no matter the content.

That was discussed as an option by us debators, and it was thrown out. Innogames felt very strongly that this was a family forum, and it was good for all ages.

DeletedUser

That was discussed as an option by us debators, and it was thrown out. Innogames felt very strongly that this was a family forum, and it was good for all ages.

I think Inno games was right.

I'm quite young, and I think I'm generally quite capable of being in a debate.

No, I'm not quite as young as 9, like I said on Skype.

Status
Not open for further replies.