Map browser (ohyes, another one)

DeletedUser20248

Yes, another map browser :)
But imho one with its own usefulness..es.

Key features :
-Drag and zoom the map (realtime, hence map browser),
-Search for town / player / alliance names,
-Click an island to see its towns and those on surrounding islands,
-Hover over a town to see its information,
-Hover for more than a second to see a points history graph,
-Click the town to pin the town info,
-Browse through the history of towns (up to 28 days) using the slider or pgup/pgdn.

http://vic.lfs.net/grepolis/

BIG NOTE : I wanted to experiment with (very) modern browser features. As a result, this site will currently only work on FireFox, Chrome and (the latest version of) Safari. This is not a kick in the nuts of users of other browsers. It's just the current situation. Other browsers will catch up soon enough.

Small Note 1 : performance of the site may in the beginning be a bit slow, because almost noone is using it atm. and that causes the caches not to be populated. When some more people start using the map, everything will become quicker due to proper caching.
EDIT - actually since i wrote this post, some improvements have been made and imo performance is pretty good now, always. So ignore this one ...

Small Note 2 : the data for the worlds is updated every 3 hours.

Small Note 3 : be careful with requesting loads of towns (e.g. more than 2000). The site will manage, but it'll just become pretty slow, depending on the amount of towns and your computer's computing power.

Final Notes : I will not add worlds for other languages. Sorry. I can add new worlds for EN or NL though, as they become available.
It's also very likely that I'll not add any more features. This was a fun project, but I have to move on to other things now. If you find a showstopper bug though, do let me know and I'll look into it.

I find the browser very useful to scout my own part of the world I'm on. It gives you a good impression of who is around you and what everyone's up to. The points graph and history feature also shows you how active someone has been lately (unless a town has been fully expanded for a while). This all helps greatly with finding your next target as well.
The browser also saves you from having to individually look up players at grepostats, because the main information about each town is right there when you hover over one.

Ok, enough text I think. I hope the map will be useful to people other than myself :)

PS, the disclaimer text at the bottom of the site is just about the same as used on grepostats, so I assume that's ok. If not, will a mod please let me know what should be updated for the site to be acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The best browser based map of grepolis I have seen. Great work. One suggestion for mouseover feature, instead of showing how town build is in last few days .. you should show how person's point is increased in last few weeks. It will help find whether it is active or not better than city points.

Yogesh

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Wow, this is by far the best mapping browser I've seen so far. +rep.

DeletedUser

can we only do one player or alliance at a time - great work

could you make the slider bars so that you can "step" by one each time...absolutely fascinating to see transitional time

DeletedUser20248

can we only do one player or alliance at a time - great work

could you make the slider bars so that you can "step" by one each time...absolutely fascinating to see transitional time
When you enter a name, a new input field will appear automatically. There can be 5 inputs max. (per search category).
Use the PgUp and PgDn keys to cycle through the days.
See you on track. :cool:

such a small world :p

DeletedUser

it seems to be running slower and slower - i am using chrome along with grepolis - it constantly eat up my memory and eventually i can no longer scroll around

is this because of server overload or something i am not aware of

DeletedUser20248

there is one thing about load times that sucks. But this should improve in about two hours.

But as for the map becoming so slow that moving around is no longer possible .. hmm, I haven't experienced that so far. Unless the number of visible towns is very high.

You can try reloading the map and see what happens. You can click the link icon top-right of the screen to copy a link to your current map situation and use that to reload your map.

DeletedUser20248

Ok the two hours was a bit optimistic.
I have to close the site down, for a day I think, to work on this. The database doesn't like one particular aspect of how I'm storing data, so I have to improve that.

DeletedUser

I've been using this site numerous times since I came across it (about a week ago). The only problem I've had with it is when trying to load an alliance in epsilon, but that was because that alliance had 9,000+ towns, And even then it eventually loaded.

Once again thanks for your effort in making this great/awesome/epic mapping program. It's very helpful.

DeletedUser20248

JUST came back from work :) I'l switch it on again tonight.