Deliberation Gift troops between cities you own.

DeletedUser

Proposal: My request is simple. Could there be a way to send troops between your cities. Not as in support but as in the city you send to should be able to keeps the troops forever or until you give them to another of your cities. I'm sure any commander would agree the ability to split your forces and make them join another army that need them would be a great tactical advantage.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?: No

Reason: Some islands are better for troops and some are better for ships. So it is a pain when you have 200 troops but can't get ships the transport them or protect them.

Details: When you click on one of your cities on the options that appear (like support or trade) there should be another one that says 'reinforce' or something like that.

Visual Aids: None

Balance: None that I can think of

Abuse Prevention: Of course you should only be able to do this for cities you own/conquered

Summary: Be able to give ownership of your troops to another of your cities. What this option would be called in the game is still up for debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser18132

Yeah, so you could make a 20000 sling+300 LS attack. Not gonna happen, so I say no.

DeletedUser

lol @ 20k slingers, no exaggeration there at all. :p

How about instead of 'reinforce', you can relocate your land and naval units? The relocation can only work if there is sufficient free farm space in the targetted city, and if you are doing this with myth units; that the relevant god is also worshipped. For example, if you have 1k slingers in City A, and you want to put them into City B; if the free space in B is less than 1k, it wont work. You could send some of the slingers, but it will have to be based on how much free space there is, and only that many can be sent over. If the city is off island, transports will be required which will also need to use up some of that farm space. This could be useful if you don't want to suicide everything on allies when you have to change builds for a new strategy or situation, and you could even do this with other players.

DeletedUser

Perhaps, abuse prevention would be is that you can go into negative farmspace, where every hour, you will lose the amount of negative farm space you posses in farm space of troops...

Other than that, it can be easily abused.

DeletedUser

How could it be abused?
Idea: It will only be able with your own cities, and it will take time to get them there. SO you can see how much farming space you got left, and just like training troops or building buildings, you will not be able to proceed the farm cap.
Also, if you want to relocate them in a city on another island, you will need transport ships and the time of getting there will just be the travel time of your transpors or fast transport

DeletedUser

W Arms is correct good idea if discussed well enough.

DeletedUser

Yeah, so you could make a 20000 sling+300 LS attack. Not gonna happen, so I say no.

I have seen a city with 20K Biremes in it so it will be very fare for attacker to get 10,000 LS in 1 city. (I know this wont happen though).

DeletedUser

I'd be against this idea.

Someone may have a 12 hour trip to attack an enemy from their main cities. With this idea, they would be able to found a new city next to their enemy, gold up the farm a bit, and constantly 'relocate' troops to that city. Bye bye travel times, hello constant attacks.

The reason given in the OP for this idea is "it is a pain when you have 200 troops but can't get ships the transport them or protect them". The answer to this is not to ruin the game with a major update that removes travel times from the equation for competent players.. no, the answer to this issue of "it is a pain" is to learn resource management. If you have 200 troops but no ships, start using the market. Trade with farming villages, send resources to yourself from your other cities, etc. There are plenty of ways to adjust your resources and start making the ships, there is absolutely no reason for this idea to happen.

DeletedUser

Yea i agree with corinthian, it can be abused easily. You can relocate offensive troops from your cities behind the linesto the front, and this way have a constant supply of troops with virtually no travel times... +rep for the idea though.

DeletedUser

I'd be against this idea.

Someone may have a 12 hour trip to attack an enemy from their main cities. With this idea, they would be able to found a new city next to their enemy, gold up the farm a bit, and constantly 'relocate' troops to that city. Bye bye travel times, hello constant attacks.

You can fix this by placing a 'cooling period' of a certain amount of time or place a cap on the number of transfers of units and ships between cities; a message could pop up saying that the troops and sailors need sleep and cannot keep moving between cities. They would still require the relative travel time to get between those cities if they were going to support or attack them based on the slowest unit speed, so it's not as if you can insta-teleport 20k slingers into a city and keep hammering someone.

This could be beneficial as it will save a lot of players culture points for clearing farms on defensive islands, or having to change strategy due to unforeseen circumstances in a world. If I want to clear 8 farms on a newly captured island, why should I have to research slingers/horsemen/hoplites when I only want to build biremes or land defense, only to undo that research later? This would be easily solved by transferring units from another city that has them already trained and ready to go, making the game less tedious and playing more efficient.

DeletedUser

That's it? No more feedback, or the OP considering the discussion and changing his first post?

...And people then complain about IG not adding enough on each subsequent update.

DeletedUser

I'de like to thank you all for finding ways to add my original idea I guess all we can do now is wait for a response from the moderator for this part of the forums.

DeletedUser

hmmm I can only see this working if you have the free farm spaces when sending troops to combine with your other troops for an attack.

No from me.

DeletedUser

hmmm I can only see this working if you have the free farm spaces when sending troops to combine with your other troops for an attack.

No from me.

Agreed on the farm space point, I think I did state that in an earlier post; you can only move those units to another city if there is enough free space, and transports have to be included (unless it's on the same island). The farm space cap would stop people amassing insane amounts of offense or defense in one city, same with a limited amount of transfers per-city in a given 24 hour period which could stop people from making huge queues of units to transfer to a city to continually hammer someone.

DeletedUser

Would love to HAVE it, but would hate for my enemies to have it.

Corinthian II nails it: it eliminates travel time for ATTACKS (yes, the troops still have to travel to newly-founded city, but the enemy doesn't see that travel. They only get the 20-minute warning); and also it eliminates naval defense, as all the attacks can be sent over land via the newly-founded city.

DeletedUser

^ Just pick your bias, also you forgot to list that what applies to offense also applies to defense, so the same scenario can apply in reverse, unless you put a cap on the number of transfers in a given period of time as I said earlier to prevent serious abuse. Apparently that point seemed to shoot past a few peoples heads. Perhaps then we can stop looking through the lens of what is only in our own interests and actually try to see that this idea has a beneficial value to gameplay in general. NOT having the ability to exchange troops/ships between cities means you have to waste CP, resources, and farm space changing around builds due to circumstances beyond your control, or having to clear farms to get a decent income of resources on an island you would naturally just plan for defense, unless you're going to expect that players everywhere will only play offense to fix this problem, or have a crystal ball to be able to predict the future. This doesn't even factor in that you would have to suicide units, particularly transports on an ally to clear up space for a bireme wall or LS nuke.

On the point of eliminating travel times: unless we're going to assume that people everywhere are millionaires who are going to spend $500 to gold-build up cities in a day to 'surprise' their enemies on a regular basis, that counter-point of eliminating travel time is not as strong as one would think on closer inspection. It might encourage colonization (which could be seen as a good thing), but enemies would see this coming from a mile away and change strategies, unless they are incredibly dense; in which case they would be asking for it.

If you have a better suggestion to the problem I just outlined, I am all ears; otherwise the argument here is just between picking your preference and not about solving the outlined issues... if someone could suggest a better compromise than what I have, then that would be a step in the right direction.