What a load of pony

Thane Badger

Phrourach
So after 16 months the epic struggle for Omega lurches from 6 players on World Wonder Islands getting mysteriously banned at the same time, to the final farce of one Berk deserting his alliance on a World Wonder Island to help another alliance cheat their way into the lowest place on the board.

Congratulations Innogames, you have confirmed to me that you designed the most pointless way to finish the game, thereby rendering the entire platform to be a complete waste of time.

Big slap on the back for the Cheating Turtles, wear your medals with pride. Enjoy the ghost server.

What a fitting way for the 1st generation worlds to end.

We may never see their like again.... do we even want to?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

After playing for 16 months, we all know the rules of the game and the conditions designed for the win. We all worked within those parameters and used everything we could to gain an advantage, up to and including some alliance swaps to accelerate a wonder in a competing alliance so you could fight another day, yes? So, while I certainly understand the frustration and rage, slinging terms like "Cheating Turtles" rings pretty hollow.

Knowing the rules and parameters of the game, Warlords prepared. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's been a long-fought world, but it certainly isn't over yet - unless more players rage-quit prior to the end.

If this is, indeed, the culmination, it's been a pleasure. Seriously - good game, good times, and good friends, among all alliances.

DeletedUser

Prepared my butt you convinced my team to desert to you, that is not a win! That is a shameless ploy to win, I will follow all of you from server to server with the proof of what happened, good luck ever winning much less surviving another world

and regno your account was not even yours, someone else did the work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yes you prepared.. For how long did you have that pony mole in Ownage?

It was some good fights, but it all ending this way, is just such an anticlimax.

People aren't ragequitting.. there is just not much point in playing any more. People have other things to do than to play in Omega.

DeletedUser

Yes, let it be known that I have not changed my account name on the forum. But I have not been simply watching from the peanut gallery.

After all of the spying, the switching of loyalties, the shifting pacts, the players banned for automated scripts (none of which were Warlords, mind you)... this isn't new. It's a war game. (with a stress on "game")

And look, I get the frustration. But there was no cheating here. Just gameplay, in all of its ugly glory.

DeletedUser

Enjoy your glory, and tell all of your alliance to enjoy simming omega

DeletedUser

What an underhanded way to win. I could take being beaten any other way than this. Just because it could be done this way does not make it right. I am not sure if I want to invest anymore time and money playing a game that can end like this

Thane Badger

Phrourach
After playing for 16 months, we all know the rules of the game and the conditions designed for the win. We all worked within those parameters and used everything we could to gain an advantage, up to and including some alliance swaps to accelerate a wonder in a competing alliance so you could fight another day, yes? So, while I certainly understand the frustration and rage, slinging terms like "Cheating Turtles" rings pretty hollow.

Knowing the rules and parameters of the game, Warlords prepared. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's been a long-fought world, but it certainly isn't over yet - unless more players rage-quit prior to the end.

If this is, indeed, the culmination, it's been a pleasure. Seriously - good game, good times, and good friends, among all alliances.

It's over. You killed it.... and probably the entire system. Grepolis was already dying, losing a few hundred more players isn't going to make things better.

Yes the "parameters" are full of holes. In any system ultimately the winning side has to take on the rest of the world in any way shape or form. Inducing players to screw over their own side so you can short circuit the road to "success" is the lowest way to "win" Yes you were Turtles, yes you cheated your way to the bottom of the pile.

Congratulations.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I totally understand everyone's frustration, but here's a little food for thought: gladiatorfredman wasn't our "mole" or long-term "spy". He decided to help us less than 50 hours ago because he was fed up with the ownage leadership. He launched a CS and received no assistance from his alliance or anyone else, and was absolutely furious. What kind of teamwork is that? You don't help out your own? So rather then just quit the game quietly, he wanted to throw a parting slap in the face. Can't say I blame him either, I'd be upset if my alliance hung me out to dry if I launched a CS and received no help.

We've always stuck with our core group of Warlords. We've had to deal with losing a plethora of strong players over the course of this world. But if there is one thing we haven't done, it's to flip flop back and forth with alliances to try and gain advantages.

I also take offense to the term "cheaters". Please explain how accepting a player who felt unwanted in his own alliance is cheating? Would you still call it cheating if he didn't own a WW city? Probably not. You probably wouldn't see it as that big of deal. But since this caused you guys to really get burned, you're going to sit back and rage quit, hurl insults and whine about it. It's a browser game, this isn't the Super Bowl or the World Series of Poker. You don't win a large sum of money or a platinum trophy for taking the world. So chill.

Also, if you wouldn't of had players in Barbarians running illegal script to gain an in game advantage, they probably never would of got banned in the first place. Stinks for you guys that their bans happened right near the beginning of the world wonder stage, but that's just your tough luck. Illegal script is just pathetic. That is real cheating. Inviting a player who felt unwanted by his alliance isn't. But keep telling yourself it is if it makes you feel better about the current situation.

And lastly.. Even without having players flip in and out of our alliance to dump favor, we were still an hour ahead on the construction of our Colossus. We probably would of finished ours first even if gladiatorfredman didn't leave ownage. Now if he were to of just left ownage and didn't join us, the ownage colossus would still be compromised. You'd have to refill it and start the construction all over again. But since he didn't just leave, he left and joined a team that cares about every member top to bottom regardless of number of cities or point total, you decide to rage at us.

DeletedUser

All I'll say is that it is quite clearly a gaping problem with Grepolis - players that leave an alliance during WW building to break a WW build is a fear all alliances would of been aware of.

If somehow the good bits of grepolis and other on-line multiplayer games (like Travian) were combined - there would be a very good game indeed. Grepolis, on it's own has still a lot of work to do.

Overall - Well done to everyone that stuck it out as long as this. And well done to Warlords, genuinely.

The player in question said in a PM to someone...

"Don't hate the player, hate the game".

I think we can do both - but the game is the biggest culprit.

Ultimately, I think the server had run it's course, in my opinion. But, the problem is this....

On every server you play from now on - as before - you have to wonder, in 16 months time will we see this kind of action again - a player breaking their alliance build by leaving the alliance - which the rules of the game do not prevent.

It's just open to abuse, and for me is such a fundamental problem. I'd rather find a game where my gold purchases are not so vulnerable.

Warlords 1 vs Innogames -1

DeletedUser

Yeah, I totally understand everyone's frustration, but here's a little food for thought: gladiatorfredman wasn't our "mole" or long-term "spy". He decided to help us less than 50 hours ago because he was fed up with the ownage leadership. He launched a CS and received no assistance from his alliance or anyone else, and was absolutely furious. What kind of teamwork is that? You don't help out your own? So rather then just quit the game quietly, he wanted to throw a parting slap in the face. Can't say I blame him either, I'd be upset if my alliance hung me out to dry if I launched a CS and received no help.

We've always stuck with our core group of Warlords. We've had to deal with losing a plethora of strong players over the course of this world. But if there is one thing we haven't done, it's to flip flop back and forth with alliances to try and gain advantages.

I also take offense to the term "cheaters". Please explain how accepting a player who felt unwanted in his own alliance is cheating? Would you still call it cheating if he didn't own a WW city? Probably not. You probably wouldn't see it as that big of deal. But since this caused you guys to really get burned, you're going to sit back and rage quit, hurl insults and whine about it. It's a browser game, this isn't the Super Bowl or the World Series of Poker. You don't win a large sum of money or a platinum trophy for taking the world. So chill.

Also, if you wouldn't of had players in Barbarians running illegal script to gain an in game advantage, they probably never would of got banned in the first place. Stinks for you guys that their bans happened right near the beginning of the world wonder stage, but that's just your tough luck. Illegal script is just pathetic. That is real cheating. Inviting a player who felt unwanted by his alliance isn't. But keep telling yourself it is if it makes you feel better about the current situation.

And lastly.. Even without having players flip in and out of our alliance to dump favor, we were still an hour ahead on the construction of our Colossus. We probably would of finished ours first even if gladiatorfredman didn't leave ownage. Now if he were to of just left ownage and didn't join us, the ownage colossus would still be compromised. You'd have to refill it and start the construction all over again. But since he didn't just leave, he left and joined a team that cares about every member top to bottom regardless of number of cities or point total, you decide to rage at us.

you all asked me to join a week ago so do not go there, I supported that man and sunk over 4000 ls at your leader.
He was fed up with not getting his way not the leadership. And fyi I know we were ahead of you. That is why he did it, all of the truth came out after he jumped. No big deal, justify it anyway you want, you win by give up default.

Thane Badger

Phrourach
Well I don't see the point of him launching a CS at that stage of the game anyway.

Seems like he's a real cry baby and you fed off him to your advantage.

So my opinion remains the same. talking about rotating players doesn't wash either For most of the game The Northern Alliance held their own with 30 active players while the rest of you circumvented the 80 players limit with your franchises of 3 or 4 groups of the same name and constantly rotated players as you needed them. Funny how as such a happy family it shrunk and shrunk and shrunk.

As for looking after your own players. What a joke! I had Keironus and oldaccord come to me after being shafted by Warlords asking me to take over their cities on and around your World Wonders Islands.

So don't paint yourselves up. A lot of players that quit Warlords said you were a bunch of Nazis and they were your concentration camp workforce. A little extreme I thought but that's how they felt.

I highly doubt you would have reduced yourself to this if your could win anyway and I know you were trying to induce people to desert before this because they told me about it.

Keep digging a bigger hole.

Last edited:

DeletedUser22780

I know we were ahead of you. That is why he did it, all of the truth came out after he jumped. No big deal, justify it anyway you want, you win by give up default.

Gulp Gulp, you were ahead.

DeletedUser

Indeed it seems the changing of alliance in the last minute can ruin everything.
I was there for almost 14 months, and with this end it really seems a waste of time. I would have understood when Warlords had won it without this 'incident', i certainly would also accept the Barbarians winning. But .. that ?!

Maybe (!) if the rules were changed in a way that it is impossible to leave an alliance, without having a majority of said alliance agreeing to that.

Otherwise that kind of gameplay is ruined.
In any forthcoming world, we might experience the same, it's seems it's just human nature to stab in the back (SW)

DeletedUser

The rules need addressing...

Maybe (!) if the rules were changed in a way that it is impossible to leave an alliance, without having a majority of said alliance agreeing to that.

- that would be the starter for me, and if it is in WW phase, no joining another alliance within say 48hrs... (something for Inno to think about)....

maybe this has already been addressed in newer versions?

Being a seascape based world I can understand the need to own the whole island.

Thane Badger

Phrourach
It would be an idea that once world wonders start and the world closes to new players that all changes to alliances cease until one alliance gains the first 4 wonders.

That would also stop people from joining an alliance for 20 minutes, sending all their resources/casting favor and leaving again.

That was an inspired tactic though, I should get some kind of recruiter award for that.

DeletedUser

- that would be the starter for me, and if it is in WW phase, no joining another alliance within say 48hrs... (something for Inno to think about)....

maybe this has already been addressed in newer versions?

Being a seascape based world I can understand the need to own the whole island.

Or maybe leaving an alliance can be done, by whoever (thrown out, or leave by own will), but it will take some time to do that - like being kicked out becoming effective immediately, but leaving by own will taking longer, and give the alliance time to make up for the loss. Maybe like 2 months or so depending on the server speed. That way most players will think twice before joining 'just so', or leaving.

@ Thane
"joining an alliance for 20 minutes, sending all their resources/casting favor and leaving again"
maybe the Grep team invents such an award to be published lol

DeletedUser

I do hope that it does get addressed because no matter how you look at it, that was a sad way for a game to come to an end. I know all games must but hell ownage was trying to keep the game going. Starting fresh is rough!!! Oh and PS if Leadership was so bad in ownage how come they are all following me????

DeletedUser

Some genuinely good responses here now - agreed that there is a major flaw in the game, and suggestions about an inability to leave an alliance when World Wonders begins might work. Another option would be that a player leaving an alliance of their own accord (not being kicked) would give up any cities held on an alliance Wonder island currently built or under construction, with a grace period wherein that city is protected from outside claim for X days, thus allowing the alliance to retain the property.

And yes, Thane, the idea to swap alliances to increase favor was inspired, but what I take exception to is your use of creativity being lauded to further your goals, while crying "cheat" when we take advantage of an opportunity that is well within the rules.

This world has run its course. In the end, when any single alliance looks to control 4 wonders, that alliance stands alone. Where does it end? It will continue until player attrition finally results in an even more meaningless win. Either way it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

So, I agree that this exposes a serious flaw. I agree that it would have been nice to win without a player having this much power. We nearly won in December, when Barbarians and GMW teamed up on a (quite spectacular) operation. We rallied, we landed our own CS and defended it, and we were well on our way to winning again, until again the alliances banded together in a creative use of strategy to thwart us. We countered, and it worked out for us.

I have genuine feelings of respect for the active players in this world that spent so much time over the past 16 months fighting, employing strategy, offering friendly (and sometimes not-so-friendly) banter, and otherwise having fun. I doubt I will pick up this game in another world, but if there are other, better games out there, I would hope to find them and see some of you there in the future. Perhaps, even, on the same side.