Announcement Your New Moderator

DeletedUser46251

When was the wording in the rules changed to-
Threads which suggest, or allege, any cheating/botting/multi-accounting/etc... are prohibited on the Forums

Probably straight after Prateeks thread was taken down :D A thread which he never actually named anyone directly, he was mearly letting the community know about a cancer growing within the game.

The way in which it has been censored here, shows to me that this is a problem that Inno would rather hide, then tackle head on.

Fig, i know your trying to impress your new bosses, but you are very quickly alienating yourself like the rest of the mod team, with the over moderation of the forum without reason.

DeletedUser27128

When was the wording in the rules changed to-

Probably straight after Prateeks thread was taken down :D A thread which he never actually named anyone directly, he was mearly letting the community know about a cancer growing within the game.

Um yeah no. Is been there for years.

DeletedUser

Yes, exactly like that

200_s.gif

DeletedUser37468

The Moderator...

As a forum builder of many years, I was often asked "what makes a good moderator?"

Difficult question to answer, but as a guideline, I have always replied thus...

The moderator needs to be a multitude of things....the online equivalent to a NATO peacekeeper is essential, a sense of humour definitely needed, a skin thicker than an elephant yep need that too

But a moderator also needs to be moderate in their rulings....one offends or annoys them personally does not always men tht it annoys or offends the entire group as a whole...to be an effective and respected moderator you have to be able to set aside your own likes and dislikes and rule for the benefit of all and not themselves

I always asked my moderators when confronted with a questionable post to stop and think..."does this offend me?"..."will this offend everyone?"

It might offend you but until your inbox is loaded with complaints...at least 6 complaints...then no, it is not offending everyone...it might not sit comfortbly with you, but to the masses it's OK

When asked "how to I manage posts?"

I would always tell my moderators that if there is an infraction, contact the poster, give them a chance to change it, explain why it might be seen as wrong...be courteous at all times, the use of please/thank you is essential if you are going to keep your population happy...be too demanding and you will quickly lose respect and your population

If after 24 hours the post remains the same, then go in and edit...never delete any posts...edit them, leave a note as to why its edited and that if the poster has a problem to get in touch and it can be discussed quietly off thread

Being a new moderator is daunting, making that first swipe of the proverbial red pen is fraught with stressful decisions

But as long as you maintain composure and you remain fair and you remain open to discussion and compromise, then being a modertor can be a fun and rewarding job that gains respect from your population....if you go too hard, too fast then you will alienate and cause issues that quickly run out of control and before you know it, your population hates you and they leave in their droves....and you feel like , stressed out and deeply unhappy....and the owners of the forum lose revenue thanks to reduced traffic which is never a good thing