My Perspective on Why the Game is Dying.

• Thread starter DeletedUser39031
  • Start date

DeletedUser39031

This isn't be all and end all just an honest opinion of someone who has played since 1.26 (aka Good ole Days). As we all know Grepo is on a downward path and it's probably not long before its scrapped or something similar to that as many players leave and not enough fill up the numbers.
But why do people stop playing games?
1. The game is exploitable
2. The game is boring
For Grepolis, the players can only affect option 2 although both are present. Now boredom in Grepo comes from a few areas, I'm going to use my last 3 worlds as an example: Paros, Sinope and Golgi. Out of those worlds, I enjoyed Paros the despite having to leave because I didn't have the time to deal with being attacked, whereas the other two were/are boring me to death. The difference between these worlds is that Paros had the Top 3 alliances fighting it out with each other constantly (usually 2/3 vs 1) with I'd say 1 small pact each that still acted as its own alliance. On the other hand Sinope and Golgi, had these clumps of 1000 vs 1000 players with approximately 10 alliances sharing forums and all answering to one main alliance which is extremely boring in my and others opinions. There are two causes of such evil in my opinion,
-Eviction Notice: This isn't a hate thread, but as far as I'm aware they pioneered this strategy and were on both Sinope and Golgi a large amount of their players were there
-World Wonders: Encourage alliances to pact and use the stupid rotational situation

How the players can stop this?
Impossible, so long as players are taking this game and the digital crown symbol too seriously, and putting it over their own enjoyment (to be fair they may have fun doing pacts).

Just an opinion

DeletedUser41523

Im noticing a trend with revolt players claiming this is dying. I haven't heard many conq players chime in. But I have to reitterate, actual stats claim that the game is fine. It's more likely that the game is losing its luster for you because you're on severs that mass pact. This may be due to the slow world release. Lots of respected teams build up and don't want to fight...yes I may or may not be eating my words on slowing down the world release. If this is what's happening then it might be necessary to speed it up.

DeletedUser39031

Im noticing a trend with revolt players claiming this is dying. I haven't heard many conq players chime in. But I have to reitterate, actual stats claim that the game is fine. It's more likely that the game is losing its luster for you because you're on severs that mass pact. This may be due to the slow world release. Lots of respected teams build up and don't want to fight...yes I may or may not be eating my words on slowing down the world release. If this is what's happening then it might be necessary to speed it up.
Was actually going to mention how the conquest worlds seem to not be as bad, might have to start playing conquest again

DeletedUser41523

In my experience conq worlds have a more fun community and environment. No offense to revolt players. Also it might be need to pact in revolt that causes this, one good mass op and youre probably done in revolt. You don't see many teams find their footing again once the punches start landing from all directions. In Conq, once you're developed you can reasonably fight off the world if need be or find a suitable partner over a month or so. its not as big play as revolt.

DeletedUser29066

I keep hearing players advocating a change to the end game, saying WW is boring and not a true test of who the best alliance is. Unfortunately none of the proposed alternatives have been adopted or even gained much traction. What if instead of doing away with WW stage Inno were to come up with a means of enhancing it in a way that would make it more competitive? Right now it's a race to see who can pour in the most resources and favor, leading to the maxing out of temples, resource production, and building merchant shops. Cities on WW islands are turned into fortresses with lots of DLU and high walls. Players can send resources for construction and favor to accelerate it. How about we add to the requirements .. not just resources and favor, but also Battle Points and Culture Points. The building of Wonders would now require 4 elements:

1. Resources
2. Favor
3. Battle Points
4. Culture Points

This would probably not do much to keep the WW island cities from turtling up, but might force the cities on the front lines to keep fighting to gain needed BP. If players choose to run festivals, games and plays for their CP it will cut into the resources they can send to the Wonders. Gold spent on games is gold they can't use for something else unless they buy even more, which should make Inno even happier. I'm not sure how many BP/CP should be required, but something commensurate with the amount of resources would certainly seem fair. I'm sure there are ways it could be abused .. like alliance players attacking each other for BP. Anyway, just a thought. If I get enough positive feedback I'll go ahead and format it and propose it as an idea in a separate thread.

DeletedUser37468

Something else that would greatly emprove the enjoyment of the game...and I know this will step on toes but it has to be said.....when players start getting personal with attacks via PM or some other infraction is found out and it is reported to the game mods...sometimes it feels like the issues are not being taken seriously and there is a perspective of favouritism

Abdera has been awful

It has made the average kindergarten look positively wonderful

There have been many issues relating to player actions, behaviour etc that have been reported to mods and nothing seems to be done...even when it is the same player being offensive over and over again

If a game is going to survive there has to be respect for all players

When you can see someone is attacking another player verbally and that continues regardless of reporting to the mods...then that leaves a bad taste in the mouth

Maybe there needs to be some new mods...possibly less biased and less swayable by questionable excuses for bad behaviour

If people are being called all sorts of derogatory terms and have forwarded the evidence and nothing happens to the offending player...or worse, they continue being offensive and mention that they have had a slap on the wrist within that offensive behaviour...then something needs to change in the disciplinary side of the game

Having mods without teeth and who are seemingly intimidated by in-game bullies will make players think twice about continuing to play

DeletedUser41523

Trash talking motivates me to play harder. I usually take what is said and make a mental note of it. Also I like that the mods don't over regulate the forums.

Here's one thing i'm noticing. It appears to be the same few crews clashing in the same few worlds because the worlds get big and end quickly now due to high activity. Which can be amazing. The problem is that I can see this making it harder for newer players and leaders to establish a foot hold. Worlds need to actually be released more OR WW needs to have its requirements increased. The latter would also be more fun too, I remember in US Troy we actually got into a pretty intense war but then WW came up on us and everyone stopped to prep for it. 6 months in the current system just isn't enough time to play the game.

DeletedUser43011

I think a huge thing that demotivates and puts players off is the....... over balanced buy as many myths tokens as you can before the next even comes around culture thats been brought in, trying to land a CS and fend it off from bought myths by the 100s has become quite impossible.

In doing this Inno has changed the way many people play, the amount of siege attempts drops down because people know full well its too costly to try hold it thus creating boredom and stagnant worlds.

The only benefit those bought myths have is hunting other peoples bought myths.

i could be wrong

DeletedUser22708

I think a huge thing that demotivates and puts players off is the....... over balanced buy as many myths tokens as you can before the next even comes around culture thats been brought in, trying to land a CS and fend it off from bought myths by the 100s has become quite impossible.

In doing this Inno has changed the way many people play, the amount of siege attempts drops down because people know full well its too costly to try hold it thus creating boredom and stagnant worlds.

The only benefit those bought myths have is hunting other peoples bought myths.

i could be wrong

This and instabuy are the 2 major reasons why this game is going down the toilet. That demeter event is just finished and we got a new one coming up in less than a month...

Innogames advertising Grepolis as free is like I would be selling really cheap airplane tickets, but once you board the plane you find out you have to sit in the luggage compartment.

DeletedUser39031

This and instabuy are the 2 major reasons why this game is going down the toilet. That demeter event is just finished and we got a new one coming up in less than a month...

Innogames advertising Grepolis as free is like I would be selling really cheap airplane tickets, but once you board the plane you find out you have to sit in the luggage compartment.
The thing is none of these exploits are going to go away, hence why the only way the game will improve (for revolt players anyway) is if the actual players make the change, hence the problem

DeletedUser50768

You might want to check Golgi again in 2-3 days beacuse stuff is about to go down...

Ranga1

Strategos
Might want to check it from the start, sinope yes 1 side of 338 alliances VS another with 338 alliances, but golgi is far from that, not even close. Peaks and troughs, games go through evolutions. If it lasts long enough it will change and go back to having more wars and less coalitions.

DeletedUser39031

Might want to check it from the start, sinope yes 1 side of 338 alliances VS another with 338 alliances, but golgi is far from that, not even close. Peaks and troughs, games go through evolutions. If it lasts long enough it will change and go back to having more wars and less coalitions.
No Brakes is already forming a coalition mate

DeletedUser39031

You must be special sort of retarded huh?
As a matter of fact I'm in the leadership of an alliance which is basically answering to NB, whose recruitment is done by NB, wish I knew this before I merged my own alliance into it.

But this thread isn't about any one world, but the general trend of at least revolt worlds as far as I'm aware

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser41523

This seems to happen in a decent speed revolt world. Maybe Baudin should open a a fast no morale conq then when it fills up in a month or less, open up a 2/3 revolt.

DeletedUser

Maybe they'll let us vote on the settings we want like before. If they start doing that on a more regular basis we might get better participation, but don't hold your breath.

I surely hope they do so... I want to see an another fast conquest world

DeletedUser43011

I'm pretty certain Baudin or Richard have some say or recommendation