Ideas for a no-gold world and how to make it happen.

Corvidaan

Phrourach
I agree.

I left this game because it was just becoming increasingly focused on gold. The whole game revolved around gold with no other factors influencing victory. When I realised that my alliance (no spenders) and myself (also no money) couldn’t compete with big golders it was time to quit.

Nothing to do with it being a browser game from 2010 that no sane individual can play for more than 3 years.

Milkarat

Chiliarch
in theory yes, but you gotta remember that more than 80% of the grepo community these days are exlusively trading gold, maybe that number is even higher these days, so there is only a small minority that actually spends money to buy gold, and that 1% of heavy spenders makes game "viable" for inno to keep the servers turned on for now at least, so im fairly sure that if it was pay per month vast majority would not even want to join the world making the experiement/test unfortuantely a waste of their time..
its a numbers game.. back when there were 5-10-15k active players that were genuinely invested into playing getting half of them to pay 5-15$ a month for a no gold world would be doable, right now even if half of the current players opt in for that kind of arrangement it will still be significantly less $ per world than compared to what that 1% of heavy golders spend during only 1 world...
On this note, Worlds have around 1000 players and 80% are gold trading for the next world. So really there is only 200 people playing each world. Games dead, look for an alternative and share it here so we can all test it out!

Lethal-Bacon

Polemarch
On this note, Worlds have around 1000 players and 80% are gold trading for the next world. So really there is only 200 people playing each world. Games dead, look for an alternative and share it here so we can all test it out!
exactly vast majority play to either sim/half *** or to trade, so once the first month of the world is done and most of those get conquered/quit you see basically what individual world population really is..

as for the game, there are no browser alternative games to grepolis.. this is very unique, discussing/promoting other games and linking to them on this forum or in game would probably result in perma ban so i would not recommend.

On that note since im no longer playing EN worlds i dont care if they ban me... sooo.. closest game i played to grepolis is called Ikariam.. it was released probably around similar time as grepo or maybe few years before/after but its equally dead as this game so i would not recommend it.
even at the high of it, it never had more than 5-15k people playing each world where grepo had between 40-60k in first couple of years and really nice amount of people up to like 2016/2017.

I think someone had an idea to "Re-Launch" Grepolis 2.0 when Inno games kills it finally or a re-skin of sorts but i dont know how that would work since majority of people would stop playing it for real and making it viable while not shitty(instant gold features) would make it extremely expensive to maintain not to mention **** ton of marketing $ to get the word out somehow.. and if Inno isnt interested in doing either of those things, why should some individuals ?

Malbeck.

Hoplite
I agree.

I left this game because it was just becoming increasingly focused on gold. The whole game revolved around gold with no other factors influencing victory. When I realised that my alliance (no spenders) and myself (also no money) couldn’t compete with big golders it was time to quit.

Nothing to do with it being a browser game from 2010 that no sane individual can play for more than 3 years.
That's why fast worlds are better

VIRTUALSELF

Strategos
I think someone had an idea to "Re-Launch" Grepolis 2.0 when Inno games kills it finally or a re-skin of sorts but i dont know how that would work since majority of people would stop playing it for real and making it viable while not shitty(instant gold features) would make it extremely expensive to maintain not to mention **** ton of marketing $ to get the word out somehow.. and if Inno isnt interested in doing either of those things, why should some individuals ?
This will never happen. They relanched TribalWars to TW2, and those servers has 5-10 players on .en now while TW1 still has 5k players a server.

oiecanadienne

Chiliarch
Consider getting a job. Not only will it help you fund your hobbies, it will make you realize this one in particular is a toxic waste of time

Darkfyre

Hoplite
Dude, it sucks to win too, mostly, cauze you knowz you at least partially boughts it, not really won it. Iz not really a yay me moment unless youz completely delusional. Iz another reazonz I suggest monthly fee. Thenz, I WILL KNOWZ BEYOND DOUBT I REALLY WONZ. Me an my girl feelz the same bouts this, tooz. Its kinda fun to play, but it could beez sooooo much betterz. All it needz iz evenness. Then, winz or losez you earned it. I mean seriously, plenty of people knowz how to spend plenty of money on plenty of thingz. Iz not an accomplishment. Like, at all.
I love coming back every once in a while to see these threads. Y’all should just try not being poor

Last edited:

Darkfyre

Hoplite
And to be honest buggy an canadienne, I feel sorry for ya'll. Me an my girl may not givez the sh*t about free playerz cauze we believez in peoplez getting paid for their work, but not giving the sh*t an blatantly insulting them iz two different thingz. Soze the thing iz, I just KNOWZ youz both single loser momz basement trollz, cauze they are legit the only kinda peoplez who'd be simultaneously playing a game like this an treating peoplez like that.

wdj40

Hipparchus
exactly vast majority play to either sim/half *** or to trade, so once the first month of the world is done and most of those get conquered/quit you see basically what individual world population really is..

as for the game, there are no browser alternative games to grepolis.. this is very unique, discussing/promoting other games and linking to them on this forum or in game would probably result in perma ban so i would not recommend.

On that note since im no longer playing EN worlds i dont care if they ban me... sooo.. closest game i played to grepolis is called Ikariam.. it was released probably around similar time as grepo or maybe few years before/after but its equally dead as this game so i would not recommend it.
even at the high of it, it never had more than 5-15k people playing each world where grepo had between 40-60k in first couple of years and really nice amount of people up to like 2016/2017.

lol I have suggested & wondered why they never made a Grepolis 2 :(

VIRTUALSELF

Strategos
Because they already launched a TribalWars 2, and it failed horribly. If TW2 is even open yet, it only has 10-20 players pr. server where TW1 still has +2k players on each .en server

Lethal-Bacon

Polemarch
Technically Grepolis had its "2.0" update around 2016 when they updated the graphics and changed a lot about the game, maybe it was enough for them to market it as "new" game/experience lol

kdaroks

Peltast
I’d play a gold free world with a one of entry fee.
Been a while seeing as I had to register again in the forum, but the buzz killer was that silly app, my wife’s sleep became more important than gutless players just spamming.

Marshs

Phrourach
I believe a no-gold world could be quite cool. There are problems with that approach such as how would the world earn money for the devs? I was hoping you could help me with ideas for this.

I have some ideas and one of them is a pay-to-enter system where the players pay to play on the world in order to substitute for the gold. What such a number should be is a question for the devs. Perhaps they could take an average money spent per player and have that as it's entry fee. Ideas?

Marshs

Phrourach
think that a no=gold world would be interesting. Skill becomes important. Yes there would have to be a fee as there is no such thing as a free lunch. Think a lot would be interested if the fee was not too high.