Favorite Mythical Units

What are your favorite mythical units?

• Total voters

DeletedUser

What are your favorite mythical units?

This is a multiple choice poll. You may select more than one option.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

argh... i clicked minotaur instead of manticore accidentally! minotaurs suck :(

DeletedUser

Manticores are the most affective for breaking sieges if there are way too much biremes :D

Aicy

Strategos
Mhmm... Defensive Mythical units suck cuz they can only support cities that worship the same God.

DeletedUser345

Mhmm... Defensive Mythical units suck cuz they can only support cities that worship the same God.

If you get your cities right, all land as Athena and naval as poseidon then you can send defensive troops to the land cities and just stock up the naval ones with loads of defense.

DeletedUser

You couldn't be more wrong. Add in the pop of transports and Manticores win.

Add them and you are also wrong.

Using medusa with a fast transport ship with bunks (twice as fast and just a bit worse at space than normal transport ship) you get, reported to pop slot:
medusa: 18 sharp attack
manticore: 21 sharp attack

Now, don't jump right up telling me you won by 17%. Let's look at more numbers.

Offense / mana. That's right, how much offense you get for each mana point you spend.
medusa: 0.112
manticore: 0.052
That's right, for same offense power you need more than 2 times more mana for manticores. More precisely, 2.17 times more mana, so 2.17 more time to get your manticore power.

Cummulated defense with transport ship / pop slot. Now, we add all 3 type of defenses and report them to pop slots for that unit (with boat for medusa):
medusa: 60.7
manticore: 20
Uh, manticore are 3 times worse in defending than medusas. 3 times. No more on this subject.

Defense / mana. The same as attack, but for defense here. Pointless to write as already we see manticore results above. But still:
medusa: 0.380
manticore: 0.049
Can't say anthing here except manticore don't do defense. Just offense.

So, the only gain here is in attack power for manticore, not even as big as you thought (17%) but that comes at a way bigger mana cost, 2.17 more mana is required. And that means 2 times more time to replenish the manticore nuke. For me best nukes = efficient & fast replenishable.

I would agree with the fact that he might be wrong, or you might be wrong, but i simply don't agree he is to be ruled out so easily as you did.

DeletedUser

Add them and you are also wrong.

Using medusa with a fast transport ship with bunks (twice as fast and just a bit worse at space than normal transport ship) you get, reported to pop slot:
medusa: 18 sharp attack
manticore: 21 sharp attack

Now, don't jump right up telling me you won by 17%. Let's look at more numbers.

Offense / mana. That's right, how much offense you get for each mana point you spend.
medusa: 0.112
manticore: 0.052
That's right, for same offense power you need more than 2 times more mana for manticores. More precisely, 2.17 times more mana, so 2.17 more time to get your manticore power.

Cummulated defense with transport ship / pop slot. Now, we add all 3 type of defenses and report them to pop slots for that unit (with boat for medusa):
medusa: 60.7
manticore: 20
Uh, manticore are 3 times worse in defending than medusas. 3 times. No more on this subject.

Defense / mana. The same as attack, but for defense here. Pointless to write as already we see manticore results above. But still:
medusa: 0.380
manticore: 0.049
Can't say anthing here except manticore don't do defense. Just offense.

So, the only gain here is in attack power for manticore, not even as big as you thought (17%) but that comes at a way bigger mana cost, 2.17 more mana is required. And that means 2 times more time to replenish the manticore nuke. For me best nukes = efficient & fast replenishable.

I would agree with the fact that he might be wrong, or you might be wrong, but i simply don't agree he is to be ruled out so easily as you did.

^
Too complicated 0.o

DeletedUser

Does no one like harpies no more?

O that must explain why I get much earthquakes and lighting bolts from noobs

DeletedUser

I'm sorry... But why are you going into favour costs..? He said per pop space Mudusa wins... Not favor... And Manticore wins... So I was right... And I like dot dot dotting... :D

Indeed, if you only look at one single thing, then yes, you win. But i remind you the title is "favorite mythical units" not "favorite attack units". The player stated that medusas are best pop ration. You assumed then he reffers to and only to attack power. There your blah-blah.
Sorry you didn't liked my point *sniff*.... Hope you read it again.... 'Cose is realy nice you know...
And numbers are your friend.
Sure you can say manticores are best. Then dot-dot-dotting :p
But that because you only look at one single aspect. Your manticore nuke, once destroyed, will take more than 2 times more to rebuild than the medusa nuke. Because of the favor gain ratio you didn't liked :D. And that for 17% bigger power. And if your manticores are attacked while at home, bye bye full manticore nuke.
2 times faster recover and able to defend very well (in fact only pegasus defend better) that's why he said medusas are best given pop ratio.

^
Too complicated 0.o

well, never said it's easy. but (i hope) it's true. And i don't like to just say "that unit is the best! yeah!" without finding some proof.

Does no one like harpies no more?

O that must explain why I get much earthquakes and lighting bolts from noobs

and no attacks?
then, they are indeed noobs...

Aicy

Strategos
Yeah, well, if you're going to do that I, personally, think you should add in their speed and such and the relative time in which the player being attacked by the Mantis/Mudasas would have to get support from their alliance yada yada yada. You say to include every bit of information but you haven't added in things like speed and loot! ;D

DeletedUser

Yeah, well, if you're going to do that I, personally, think you should add in their speed and such and the relative time in which the player being attacked by the Mantis/Mudasas would have to get support from their alliance yada yada yada. You say to include every bit of information but you haven't added in things like speed and loot! ;D

totaly true. thanks you for pointing this out. and giving me a chance to run some more numbers :p

so, to answer your request, here we go.
1. For speed:
I mentioned i computed with fast transport ships because they are, well, fast, and the loss in transport to normal transport ship is little if you're using bunks.
So, the medusas in the ships with medusas will travel at speed 15. With cartography you can get 10% faster, so 16.5.
The manticore travel at 22. So 33% faster. A good gain of speed and the unit flies over the naval blocade going straight to the troops.
medusa: 15 (16.5 with cartography)
manticore: 22
The flying gain comes at a cost. It's quite easy to spot a manticore nuke as it travels faster than other attacks. And the attacked target can dodge as it doesn't risks loosing the wall. Indeed less time to act (6 hours instead of 8 for examlpe), but easier to spot. If you mix the manticores with any other naval unit, then the speed is slower, so you gain only from pure manticore nukes.
Unfortunately going over the naval blocade means you still have to deal with the ships if you want to take over the town as you would do with non-flying units.
So, you gain speed at the cost of the target knowing what you sent without an owl spell.

2. For carying capacity
If you're in for capacity over population slot, then:
medusa: 17
manticore: 8
Manticores have less than half of carying capacity of medusas, reported to their population slots. Manticore fly so they can easily attack different islands towns. But for farming inland, why not use horsemen? They have a 24 carying capacity, much better than both units and cost no mana.

Now, after all the above numbers, i remind you i said "if you only look at one single thing". That means you should look at more than one aspect. I never said i include every bit of information, i said i include more aspects than simply the attack value.
I admit i didn't included aspects regarding "what unit looks more neat" or "i like the manticore's brown color more than the green of medusas", or "i'm affraid of snakes so i don't like medusas" :D