2nd Annual Halloween Horror Story Competition

Which horror story is the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

We are getting close to Halloween, and it wouldn't be a good one if we didn't have horror stories. This competition is open to everyone: goblins, penguins, giants, heros, toasts, smurfs, potatos, EVERYONE :).

The Competition

Write a short horror story about a night on Halloween. Be creative! Please leave the dull, bland, monotonous, and lackluster stories in the back of your closets and take us on a terrifying nightmare through your Halloween night.

The Prize
1st place Prize - 500
coinsv.png

2nd place Prize - 300
coinsv.png

3rd place Prize - 100
coinsv.png

The Rules

icon-bullet-orange-arrow_small.png
Must be 250-500 words long.
Must include a title for your story.
No profanity/insults/demeaning remarks/and the likes of any kind.
1 entry per player.
No plagiarism.
Be creative.
Must include characters with only the names of grepolis forumers (nicknames are accepted, but their forum name in-full must be said somewhere).

Example: You can have 3 characters in your horror story, and decide to name one Tyrion, one phoenixavier, and one Richard.

What will get me Disqualified?
Breaking any of the rules (except word count in a few cases).
Telling people which is your story.

Submission

Begin: Now (Saturday October 27th)
End: Sunday November 4th at 23:59:59 Forum server time

Send phoenixavier a private message with your submission. Please post your story in this thread, the thread is setup so all posts need approval.

Because the prize is gold, please include your in-game name with the submission.

Stories will be posted in this thread but kept anonymous and voted on for a week starting November 5th.

creds to [user]Eclipse[/user] for the format

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This thread will also remain opened for questions.I will be posting the submitted stories anonymously in the next posts, and move any questions i feel are important, to this post with the answer.

1. Can the story be written like a script? Yes, but i will only count the "Person A:" once, and not each time they speak. I also recommend that if the story is written like a script, that there are some short breaks that describe scenery and atmosphere and such.

2. Do the names have to be names on forum goers? Yes, it is part of the rules that your story must have characters with names from around the forum. To make it easier, you could also do this [noparse][user][/user][/noparse] whenever u mention someone's forum name. Ex. [noparse][user]phoenixavier[/user][/noparse] shows as [user]phoenixavier[/user]. However if this is done, their name must be spelled correctly, and not be a nickname of theirs: so [user]titan smurf[/user] does not work.

DeletedUser

A heavy, cloying mist had descended on the moors as all in the village locked their doors and settled in for All-Hallows Eve. There was a chill in the air that had nothing to do with the temperature, for there was evil in the mist. Nodcrush kept his musket close by his side, as Puthia sat by the fire and stirred the pot. There wasn’t much to be had, yet they’d often made do with less. She wished for a slab of pork to put in it, but meat of any kind had been hard to come by of late.

As the sun’s last rays faded and darkness took its hold things began to stir. Soft rustlings gave way to loud bumps and strange grunts. There was something in the darkness, something mean, something hungry, with eyes that glowed like red embers. Was is a witch? A demon? No, none of these. It was something far, far worse.

Suddenly a loud commotion could be heard coming from the house of their neighbor mrpenguin244. A crashing noise, then another, then a blood-curdling scream followed by …. silence. An eerie silence made all the worse by the mist. Nod grabbed his musket and strode towards the door, but Puthia held him back. “Don’t go out there.” she cried. Nod took her by the shoulders and gently moved her aside. “Don’t you fret none,” he said, “for I fear no man or beast” He pushed the door open and peered into the darkness. He could see nothing, but there were still faint sounds coming from the neighbor’s house. “Lock the door behind me,” he whispered to Puthia as strode into the mist.

A chill ran up his spine and all the hairs on the back of his neck stood up as he approached the smoldering pile of rubble that had been the home of his friend and neighbor. Of Pengie there was no sign. Nod feared the worst. Then he heard it. A loud grunt, coming out of the darkness to his left. He turned and saw the glowing red eyes of the boar as it rooted through the rubble. It was massive, with huge tusks that dripped blood. Penguin feathers hung from its mouth.

Nod moved a couple of steps nearer to get a better shot. He thought he moved silently, but the creature heard him, and turned. As Nod raised his musket the boar let loose a loud roar and charged. Nod fired but missed. He knew there would be no time to reload. He thought of Puthia, all alone back home. He had failed her, he thought. He reached for the knife in his belt. Just then Rooster Jones appeared out the darkness and threw a box of doughnuts in the pig’s path. It bought Nod the time he needed. He reloaded, took careful aim, and fired again. A short time later he, Puthia and Rooster were warming themselves by the fire. There was pork in the pot tonight.
I heard footfalls break the silence as something advanced on me. The footfalls were new to me. Loud indescribable strikes frequent like a drum that beat the joy out of the air, and swallowed everything so only the heavy thumps remained, thudding across the ground. I whipped round but there was nothing there.

It had been just the same routine day. Deliver the post, come home for lunch... beer. My head swam, but that was normal. My mind a colourful image shot with blood red stained the picture. My husband, [user]Nikpo[/user] looked at me, ashamed of the drunk whom he had married. He ignored me as I tried to snuggle closer to him, and left the room unaware of the footsteps. I phoned [user]jlcam[/user] to look for comfort, but to no avail, I put down the phone and decide to search for [user]Nikpo[/user]. I had to save him from the approaching terror.

I left the house, followed by hollow shouts of indignation from [user]Ralsi[/user]. I blundered out of the door, only to find a world soaked in blood, I ignored the obvious warning my brain yelled at me and ran out into the sea of blood. Faces, oblivious to the fact that something outside was massacring everyone in the city, watched me as I ran terrified into the street. I watched them dumbstruck as a woman turned to me, I seemed to know the beautiful lady but I was too scared to notice that she was [user]Agathena[/user] my childhood babysitter. She quickly turned away from me as if she hadn’t noticed me as I continued to flee from an imaginary creature.

The world seemed to twist around me as [user]Agathena[/user] seemed to morph right before my eyes into a petrifying, scarred beast with a tail of a serpent and claws of a scorpion. Her head, unbelievably twisting a hundred and eighty degrees to look at me, a great three eyed beast.
“[user]Nikpo[/user]!!” I screamed uselessly my hoarse voice failing me, as I fled. Footfalls behind me every step of the way.

I kept running as fast as I could the world morphing around me, my worst nightmares approaching me. A great roar echoed through the land, as I heard the immense voice of the beast, [user]harrycat [/user], behind me. His paws crashing against the ground confirming the footfalls I had heard before, as his. A loud voice reverberated around me,
“Get back here you worthless piece of scum,”
I tried to turn my head, but the pain in my neck denied it. I had to keep running from this creature. When I felt a blinding pain sear through me, a flash of red, and then no more. No more would I feel the pain of this world around me, the last thing I would remember was [user] Nikpo [/user] as he hugged me. His arms tight around me were the last thing I felt.

[user]Nikpo[/user] had watched me walk straight into the path of a bus.
Wavebreaker,phoenix and lane was driving to a party with the new guy druvi. No one really knew him but WB offred him a ride to "Jericho."
The ride was a really long and death metal music playing in the pickup truck was so annoying but it kept everyone silent.

After they passed the 60mile post WB stopped and checked the map to see weather they were on track but it seems to have being that they took a wrong turn at the very beginning and have lost there way,
then phoenix said
"nothing to worry mates lets just keep rolling on the same road and well end up somewhere eh?"

They all agreed and kept travelling on the same road.little late they saw aboard saying

"SJ's Farm'
1 mile out

They drove a mile and while they were about to pass the farm they ran out of gas.
so they thought that they will go into the farm and get a call to the cops for help.
So they went inside the wharehouse,
inside they all saw how ugly the warehouse was
it had broken windows all over and the curtains were full of dust and they were also torn and were hanging by thread.
there was a small hole in the roof where the sunlight crept in.
the noise of the creaking doors and windows made everyone take a look over there shoulders to see what it was.

They were all kinda scared but then lane said
"dudes lets find a damn phone and get out of this place because it gives me goosebumps"

They agreed and went on then they came into a room this room was different than the other parts of the warehouse it was very clean but smelly,the smell was like a rotten fish smell.
in the room they saw a phone and and druvi soon jumped and grabbed the phone as he did something cut his wrist.then they all started to run when they all saw a tall black figure it almost looked like a scarecrow with a torn hat on and a piece of cloth cowered his face where you only could see two shiny red eyes,he also wore rags to cover his body and one of his arms was a axe and in his other hand was druvi's other hand.

As WB and lane tried to break the door down and get out Phoenix and druvi kept staring at this weired figure.then at once the masked figure reached out for druvi and dragged him to a basement where the other 3 only heard druvi shout.
They all taught he was dead and broke a wood on the door and crept through it outside where then they saw 4 more guys coming up the road to the farm but this time they had being only coming for directions so the 3 hijacked there vehicle and left.
When the other 4 went into the farm they saw druvi's body in 2 and 1 guy puked seeing all the organs out as well.While they tried to call the cops the doors shut hard and WB,Phoenix and lane heard 4 other screech in the distance but they did not stop because they knew that the 4 more other guys are also victims of the maskedman.

DeletedUser

You and your best men are requested by the king himself Phoenixavier, you do not ask questions and continue to the kings chambers. There you are greeted by the kings most trusted administrator Tyrion who gives you your orders. He says the king is gravely ill and can not speak for himself, he has asked you and your best men to travel to Thanatos where its said the cure for all sickness resides. Your men slowly lose the glow from their faces, you tell Tyrion that you and your men will travel to Thanatos and find this cure for their king, unknowing of what dangers await.

Tyrion gives you permission to enter the armory and take whatever it is that you require to complete your task in a timely manner. Your men arm themselves and head toward the harbor to commission a ship for sail. Pushing through the crowds celebrating the festivals of Halloween, you manage to find a fleet of light ships docked, after speaking with their captains they agree to follow along.

Not long after leaving the city the tide turns vicious and the clouds begin to bellow out thunder toward your fleet, a crewmen yells out "Thanatos dead ahead!". You join your men on deck and see Thanatos is nothing but a ghost town, nothing but dead crops and fishing vessels and in the center of the ghost town lays the city temple, it is said the city villagers worshiped the king of the under world Hades, and on Halloween night they abandon the city for reasons still unknown. Your ship manages to dock along with one lone light ship but the others were sunk to the depths and the men claimed by Hades.

Upon entering the city your men are overcome with fear, you reach the steps of the temple and a handful of your men flee into the thick fog toward the ships. Not soon after you hear screams of pain ring out from the fog, you send a group of men to investigate while the rest carry on into the temple. You are greeted by a giant statue of Hades, one of your men spots in Hades scepter a vial, "That must be the cure" shouted your captain Alisonia. You soon begin to scale the statue to obtain the vial, once the vial is removed the temple begins to shake and the ground opens up with the hottest fires blasting from the pits of the underworld. Rising from the flames you see that its your men recently lost, they are no longer your men now, they are a hoard of the undead! You shout orders to them but falls on deaf ears! Your men fight to return to their ships but unsuccessfully, you are the only survivor as you sail away and watch your men feasting on one another as if they were lions feasting on their kill.

To be continued....
Money meant everything to the evil [user]Tyrion[/user], other than his wife. He earned luxury by catching the runaway slaves. He would chain them and collect reward on them. Often he would make them do fieldwork. He would sometimes, even auction free men as slaves.

But disaster came with the civil war. Also, Tyrion lost his wife due to childbirth. The unfortunate girl came into existence. Tyrion hated the girl, starved her to death, and make her do all the work. Yet he was never satisfied. Consequently the girl, [user]Princesslozza[/user] began to hate him and fled away.

While wandering in the streets, she met [user]halloweenking[/user], who decided to marry her. Soon, a child [user]Phoenixavier[/user] was sitting in their laps. But Phoenix developed more muscles than brain, spending most of his time playing baseball, got distracted from the studies and failed. Annoyed, her mother now kept him under watch.

One day halloweenking's boss was coming to visit them. Princesslozza asked Phoenix, "Go get the finest quality brain available, for your dad's boss". Phoenix took out his cycle and marched towards the shop. But he met his friend, who requested him to play baseball. When the match ended, it already got dark. He rushed to shops, but they were closed. Afraid of his mother, he decided to take the brain out of his uncle who expired recently. He went home, brought a spade and dug out his uncle's grave....

At the dinner, the boss was appreciating, "What a fine quality of brain!". Soon it was the time for him to depart. Phoenix went into his room, finally relieved. But a voice made him tremble, "Where is my brain?" . Phoenix whispered, “Get lost!”. His uncle’s ghost entered the room. He asked again, "Where is my brain?". Phoenix shouted, “We ate it”. The uncle sighed.

The next day, Phoenix was lying dead on the bed. His head was smashed and brain missing. Halloweenking died of heart-attack. Princesslozza shocked by all this ran into woods. She settled there in a cottage. She wanted to revenge her fate.She started to worship Hades. People started fearing her. But Lozza's aim was still hidden.

Soon small girls started disappearing. Villagers scanned the forest, some brave ones even went near her home. But no one could find anything. Yet, they noticed one thing. Princesslozza was now younger.

Then came the night, when the [user]Lane[/user]’s daughter rose up, and started to move out of the house enchanted. Lane yelled for help. Villagers gathered and started whispering. But Lane saw a bright light shining in the other part of forest. It came from lozza’s ward. Having caught attention, she began to run. Lane took out his gun and fired a shot, making her fall down. The angry villagers dragged her to the field and burnt her alive.

She screamed a curse, "Whenever a women standing in front of a mirror on a Halloween night,will appreciate her beauty, she will suffer death". God give peace to those who lost their lives!
At the end of October even in Grepolis
A festival always starts.
About ghosts and goblins and scary things
and even some body parts.

So how does someone mix Grepolis with Halloween,
All of you might ask.
So with this competition now open,
I will attempt this task.

My story begins with [user] Saska[/user],
who was looking to play on the net.
Some game that he could play with others
and the real world he could forget.

So he finds Grepolis a multimedia game,
created for all to play.
[user] Saska[/user] creates an account and set up his city
and plays all night and day.

Playing every day, his eyes grow weary,
It totally numbs his mind.
He players 24 hours a day, taking city after city,
while sitting on his behind.

So logging into Grepolis again,
on a dark and weary night.
[user] Saska[/user] could not believe what he saw
it gave him such a fright.

His cities gone, nothing was showing,
except some pumpkins floating.
Now this was strange he now thought,
why arent my cities showing?

Strangely enough the pumpkins talked,
each one saying 'Pick me'
'For if you click on me' each pumpkin said,
'I will reveal a city.'

So with each pumpkin he clicked,
a city of [user] Saska[/user]'s would show.
Around the map he clicked madly,
in the light of the computer screens glow.

He clicked so fast but saw a timer,
it's timer was counting down.
He clicked on every pumpkin,
hoping each would reveal a town.

His computer laughed, or so he thought,
'I am sure that isnt right.'
They seemed to have a life of their own,
these pumpkins put up a fight.

The pumpkins got larger with each click,
bigger and bigger they became.
They looked like they were coming out at him,
This wasnt his Grepolis game.

'Am I losing my mind?' he asked himself,
as the pumpkins came to life.
They ate his screen then PC and then his desk,
the destruction they brought was rife.

His whole PC station was one big pumpkin,
it had a life of its own.
Bigger and bigger it it now got,
he was amazed how fast it had grown.

The pumpkin now looked at him
and flashed an evil grin.
'You have played me so long and ignored your life,'
'and now you must pay for that sin.'

[user] Saska[/user] let out a scream 'No!, this isnt real!'
as the pumpkin came at him.
The pumpkin opened its mouth to swallow him up,
his situation looked terribly grim.

With a final scream he let out a shout,
'No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' he heard himself yell.
Drenched in sweat he woke up to see,
that is was a nightmare as far as he could tell.

Everything was fine, he was logged in,
his game was running okay.
He had fallen asleep while planning an attack,
to be launched later that day.

The only pumpkins seen around
were ones on the Grepolis screen.
'I really need to get out more'
'There is a world out there to be seen.'

Logging out and shutting his PC down,
he had been playing quite a while.
The last thing [user] Saska[/user] saw before he died,
was that evil pumpkin's smile.

DeletedUser

The earth shook, walls crumbled and the population ran for their lives. The tremor, thankfully, ceased after a few terrible minutes that felt like hours. People gathered at the temple and gave thanks and prayed for Athena’s protection. Although everything seemed well again, and everyone carried on with their daily business, an air of foreboding swept the city of AllSaints. What had they done to anger Poseidon?

A mist ridden night fell upon them, laced with thick patches of drifting fog obscuring the horizon from the lookouts. "Lights!" called out [user]StrikeHard[/user]. "Where did they come from?" asked [user]Idontnow[/user]. So short was the distance that the first eerie tell tale flaming flicker of approaching lightships gave them little time to call for more defence. Moments later [user]Idontnow[/user] identified the source of the fleet. "Impossible. That can't be right." said [user]Treachery[/user], "Motnahp is too far away. They can’t be from there.". [user]Idontnow[/user] interrupted, "Forget that for now, many reinforcements won't arrive in time. All our allies are under attack too."

Time was passing all too quickly for the comfort of the officers as they argued over tactics and timings to thwart this deadly onslaught. They couldn't agree upon the source of this attack. The timings didn't add up. No fleet of lightships could travel that fast from Motnahp, even with enhanced navigation and favourable winds. There was no wind.

"Where's the commander? We need a decision right now, before it's too late." said [user]Treachery[/user]. In haste they elected [user]Idontnow[/user] as acting commander then set about preparing and launching a bold counter attack on Motnahp. In the meantime land forces and biremes were arriving from nearby cities in small numbers. Things began to look more hopeful.

As the hours melted away, anxiety increased in the city. The mists thickened and the glowing spots of light gradually increased in number. [user]Idontnow[/user] knew this was a dangerous phenomenon. He knew ships that travel faster than a closing mist thickens hide the true numbers that make up a fleet.

All anyone could do had been done. Or had it?

Battle was about to engage when the fleet disappeared in a howling tempest. All the people rejoiced at their good fortune, but this jubilation was short lived as news of their own fleet arrived. It, also, had disappeared. No trace of Motnahp could be found either.

The following evening, a strange merchantman called 'Motnahp' arrived in port. On seeing the name, [user]Idontnow[/user] inquired of the merchant from whence he came and his reply was as strange as his being. "Far. Beyond your imagination." In the morning, as the merchant boarded his vessel to depart, a small boy stood on a large quarried stone on the quayside bending double so he could view his world upside down. The ship slipped its moorings and drifted from the quay. As it gradually moved out the boy read aloud the inverted name in the watery reflection of its stern.

In that one word, the merchantman vanished.

DeletedUser

Just a last minute addition, in the event of a tie anywhere, some kind of solution will be determined :)

DeletedUser

Time to announce the winners :)

To begin, I would like to thank those of you that submitted an entry. I enjoyed reading them, and had my favorite (but will keep that to myself :p). I would also like to thank those of you that helped determine the winner :p (thank jeebus i didnt have a tie lol).

First Place: [user]BasilBarfly[/user] your 500 gold will be awarded to your ingame account :).

Second Place: [user]Hasan Naqvi[/user] your 300 gold will be awarded to your ingame account :).

Third Place: [user]Hassan al-Sabbah[/user] your 100 gold will be awarded to your ingame account :).

For those of you interested in these kind of things, I am open to suggestions on topics we could do. If you have any ideas, please post them here.