8th Farming Village

DeletedUser

Q 1072 - What is the best mix of troops & catapults to take the last FV? Is it worth it? I know that as a straight-up exercise it's worth it because farming one more village produces more resources. However, I can "Farm" other smaller cities on my island by attacking. So, the question becomes, do I get the 8th village, or am I better off retaining those offensive troops for attack?

DeletedUser

What I did is just mass attack with Horsemen, and a few Cats just to knock down the wall a bit.

I'd suggest 250 Horsemen which would deliver optimum kill/loss.

With that you would only lose 79 Horsemen

But I would recommend building an Offensive army first by farming Cities around yourself. They always bring into a good influx of resources which can help to build up your Army fast.

So first farm the Cities around you, and then when you have the Army get the 8th FV.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Around 140 horsemen is enough. I always wait until I have phalanx researched. No catapults, unless you want to get rid of them.

DeletedUser

You shouldn't use catapults, they make no difference to the attack, only subsequent attacks if you reduce the wall, but you should be taking the FV in one go so it is pointless. Use more horsemen to reduce your overall losses.

DeletedUser

Actually, catapults do seem to make a difference[*], but in this case I agree it's better to use only horsemen, especially if you don't want to research catapults.

[*] Try the simulator. Defense: 100 swormen, level 20 wall. Attack with 100 slingers (2300 total attack) and you kill 28 swordmen. Attack with 23 catapults (2300 total attack) and you kill 43 swordmen and destroy 4 wall levels. The damage done by the catapults alone is even more than what the 100 slingers would have done with the resulting level 16 wall.

DeletedUser

True, but it isn't an accurate comparison (calculations below were done with Conscription researched).

100 Slingers = 100 population = resource cost of 4950/9000/3600 = total resource cost of 17550
23 Catapults = 345 population = resource cost of 24840/24840/24840 = total resource cost of 74520

As you can see from above, slingers are much more efficient than catapults in terms of population and cost. Also, a full clear in one battle will always be better than several attacks, even if the catapults reduced the wall, it isn't an effective approach for conquering the 8th Farming Village.

Now let's compare slingers with horsemen.*

624 Slingers = 624 population = resource cost of 30888/56160/22464 = total resource cost of 109512
168 Horsemen = 504 population = resource cost of 36288/18144/54432 = total resource cost of 108864

*Note that these are the minimum values required to conquer the 8th FV. By adding more troops (of the respective type) you will be increasing the ratio and reduce your losses.

DeletedUser

Yes, regarding efficiency you are right, slingers are better. I was just trying to see if it's true that catapults don't help lowering the wall in the current battle. It might be the case (cause we don't know how the different units interact), but it appears that the effect of adding catapults (instead of the equivalent attack power in slingers) is beneficial for the current battle, not only for the future. Now, whether or not it's worth it, that's a different question.

DeletedUser

Unless it has been ninja-changed, catapults that reduce the wall do not take effect in the current battle (as the wall reduction appears to occur last in the battle formula). As you can see, if you have equivalent attack values for catapults and slingers the resource cost of catapults is massive in comparison. Catapults are not meant to be the primary ranged attacking unit, which is illustrated above (since to get the same result it is much more expensive) and should be used as a 'supporting' unit instead to compliment your main attacking force.

It's not worth hitting the FV with catapults to reduce the wall then use a regular attack because it will still be more expensive, more time consuming and generate more losses than a single nuke.

DeletedUser

How about if I decide to use a super army of 200 cats... will it work?

DeletedUser

Yes, 200 cats will probably remove the walls. However horsemen would have the village captured a few months sooner.

DeletedUser

slingers

i conquered my 8th farming village simply with 200 slingers

DeletedUser19043

Does something happen when you conquer all eight farming villages?

DeletedUser

Nothing in particular apart from getting another farming village and more income.

DeletedUser

Hmmmm...

I was reading this thread and don't know what I missed. I was all set to plan taking the 8th FV on some of my 26 cities based on this information. So, I attacked with 200 slingers. They only took out 1/3 of the defenders.

Comments???

######################

My results are:

Attacking units

200 Slingers
-200 (lost)

City wall: 20 (-0)

Defender

150 Sworsmen
-49 (killed)

150 Archers
-49 (killed)

75 Hopites
-24 (killed)

DeletedUser22431

I suspect what jobo9 means is that he sent a much larger attack and lost 217 slingers
Either that or he had already wiped out some of the defence with a previous attack.
It isn't possible to wipe out all of the forces in the 8th village with just 217 slingers

DeletedUser

Well, although that makes sense, what he said was...

i conquered my 8th farming village simply with 200 slingers

I'm coming off a week of pain killers and several visits to the ER, so I'm sure it's affecting my comprehension, but can someone articulate (a) what DOES it take to conquer the 8th FV, and (b) is it worth it?

DeletedUser

For my 8th farming village I, for whatever reason (don't ask why, I don't remember why) I sent 3 harpies. Maybe I just wanted to kill them off, I don't know anymore. Anyway -
Attacking units
3 Harpies

City wall: 20 (-0)
Defender
150 Swords - 8 killed
150 Archers - 8 killed
75 Hops - 4 killed

So then I sent out a bunch of troops because there is so much conflicting info in the forums on what is needed to take an 8th village. so I sent (and lost) -
Swords -230 - 41 killed
Slingers - 219 - 67 killed
Archers - 235 - 72 killed
Hops - 230 - 39 killed
Horses - 209 - 57 killed
Chariots - 204 - 37 killed

And I do believe it is worth it if you are needing to support other cities.

DeletedUser

Swords -230 - 41 killed
Slingers - 219 - 67 killed
Archers - 235 - 72 killed
Hops - 230 - 39 killed
Horses - 209 - 57 killed
Chariots - 204 - 37 killed

And I do believe it is worth it if you are needing to support other cities.

So, did you take it with this? I've read here that others have sent 200 catapults? It looks like a diversified mix will do it, but at this point in my game most cities are specialized, so I'll need to kill a bunch of troops and ships to re-org to get what you post here. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it. Maybe on my next conquored city I'll experiment.