A moral Conundrum

Lunatekhh

Hoplite
Hello grepo folks!

So i find myself in a moral conundrum ingame, and i was hoping you guys could spot me with your thoughts/opinions/advice. Im sure this situation isnt unique to my grepo experience.

So my alliance had a pact with another(lets call them alliance X). So this `Alliance X` was at war with `Alliance Y`. A leader of alliance X had a successful op on him done by Alliance Y and a result he activated VM said his goodbyes and disappeared. A couple of his fellow leaders quit immediately after and joined Alliance Y. The founder of alliance X(with a full roster of members) decided to dissolve the alliance. This obviously distasteful series of events has led to some of the members of the new defunct alliance X to ghost. Some of these players wanted to join our alliance. We absorbed the few that we could, but reached the member limit quickly and couldnt accept them all.

So the conundrum im finding myself in, is that these now homeless ex allies who havnt ghosted, how exactly do we deal with them. We are not interested in an expansion alliance or another pact with anyone. I dont want be an opportunistic rear orifice and start targeting ex allies when they're down. I also dont want be the chump allowing these easy springboard cities for our rival alliances to target in our neighborhood. The problem is that this is a war game, so the war aspect demands ruthless decisive action. My responsibilities towards my own team-mates demands the same. Yet it IS a game. There are real people on the otherside, and they've just suffered an unfortunate turn of events.

How would you guys deal with this?

Rachel.L

Phrourach
I think you answered your own question. WAR GAME.
First responsibility is to your team. It's a game and you want to be nice but if you want to win the war, or just survive, your team is the priority. You did not put these people in this unfortunate situation and it is not your responsibility to dig them out. The people with whom you are concerned have REAL LIFE issues and any game problems are of little consequence. Keep perspective.

You can NAP with the remaining X if they form a group, you can help if they are attacked by Y (this assumes you are at war with Y), or you can eat them (better you than the enemy). But your time and resources go to the team first.

Lunatekhh

Hoplite
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for answering. You're right i kind of did realize what i feel to be a correct response. as soon as i posted here. Ive allowed the members of the now defunct Alliance X a couple of days to find new roofs, after which it is game as usual. While you are absolutely correct of course on perspective about the game being maintained, but at same time grepo is a unique game in the amount of commitment it requires over a period of time. haha, i cant help but feel for those on the other end.

Darth Akula

Lochagos
Rachel probably has most correct answer but other options are to include:

1) Make a feeder alliance to your own and as people checkout in your main, move over other from feeder

2) Tell them go to Alliance Y and let them deal with it (Y feeder possible)

3) Tell them make their own team from what remains (alliance Z) and diplo as needed with the new map and now new strategies that will have to be implemented.

A lot of this depends on location location location & number of players x number of cities. Let's say AY was nowhere near you (do 45 SW edge vs 54 NE edge and you're SW45). Event happens, now you both are VERY close to each other at center of map (500x500) and the only "buffer" is the leftovers. As Rachel pointed out, your duty is to your team first. To protect them and give them the best possible scenarios you can as they believe you can (hence why you're their leader and they listen because they believe in you and your decisions). Well, IMO, your BEST option is to let them remain a buffer, and either eat them or essentially let AY eat them. Which means a bigger AY and a smaller you. With this new map, you're going to war with AY soon. There's no way around it. You'll have to fight. It makes sense to do so. So would you let an enemy grow bigger and stronger purposefully? No. So eat them. Fast. Faster than AY can. And then wall up the FL with cities and defenses and have your war.

^ Course that's just 1 scenario. Many can be played out.

If the numbers were small and/or location to AY is still distant. Still go for best scenario for your team but look to be "nicer" to the leftovers essentially. Either way, the writing it on the wall for them. Just a matter of who is going to capitalize first on the opportunity. Be smart. In war, the smart survive and win, not necessarily the strongest. But it helps being both ;)

Lunatekhh

Hoplite
Hey Darth,

yes the feeder couldve been a good solution. I didnt opt for that since this server im playing is an Olympus one. So 2nd alliance would just end up as support for the endgame scenario, as opposed to being in the run themselves. I wouldnt want to be in the position to choose who gets a go in the main alliance and who's supporting through the extension..

I agree, it does help being both strong and smart. :D

I love how grepo makes one think and not just about the in-game strategy XD

Darth Akula

Lochagos
You got it. It sounds like you're newer to leadership in this game? If so, after this world you're in, I'd suggest try to tag along with a "known" team. Like Bedtime Squad or other "big name" teams with big named leaders/players. This way you can learn from them and take what you like and add it to your leadership style/strategy in later worlds.

Lunatekhh

Hoplite
haha, not quite. I played in beta and you could say we did well there. was in gamma and eplsilon, sigma and thebes for a bit as well :D but it never hurts to sound out what others think :)

back on the game after YEARS though! Game population was a lot larger back then, as was alliance cap(500 in beta), so some of these questions wouldnt rise back then..