Inactive Topic A New War System

• Thread starter A Sense of Place
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I have a question, what happens when a leader just declares war on everyone? He does this so that he gets the "bonus" of battle points in-case someone from their own alliance attacks the other alliance. I think this could be "abuse" of the idea.

However, I do like the idea.
mm

DeletedUser

you've obviously put a great deal of work into this but I'm sorry to say I don't really like it. I don't like the idea of extra bps just for going to war, thats the point of the game! Nor do I like punishments. It is also open to abuse where alliances declare war on each other just to gain extra bp with no real intention of crushing the other alliance - like when allied players attack each other for bp.

The one thing I do like is keeping a spy in a city for more silver.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30636

Maybe change the percentage so it's not so wanted, maybe have some downsides of war also, if your really wanting to fight the other alliance then there should be disadvantage also. Because no matter where when war I actually happening things in countries are worse. Perhaps have all your players resource income declined, or have your farm villages mood lower due to being focused on the war and not helping them... Would add some balance

DeletedUser

I definitely like this idea. I agree however that there should be some deterrent to declaring war.

A 30% decrease in looted resources from cities that you are not at war with during a time of war might be adequate. Either that or a 10% decrease in the aggressor alliance's resource production and a 10% increase in the defending Alliance's resource production. In this way alliances would have to think twice before pushing the war button and gaining the war benefits.

DeletedUser

This is an old idea, but: I dont like it.

Yeah, it's a well-structured idea, but: The objectives are terrible. The objective of the wars I have been in was destroy the whole alliance of the enemy. Nobody want to stop after a few conquer.

I'm sorry, but it would be too big change.

DeletedUser

I absolutely LOVE the idea of the war feature. However, I think your idea of it is a little overly complex for a game like this. I would support the basic features of "war" including the following:

-War tab in alliance menu
-Leaders may declare war by typing in an alliance name (with option of reason)
-Alliances at war with each other are marked by a special color on the map with an icon above their cities
-Additional BP for any number of wars but enemy must be within 40% of your size, collectively*
-WAR STATS - in the "war" tab, BP offense/defense and conquered cities on each side are displayed

*Collectively- all allied enemies on one side of the war count towards the 60% of the opposing side's points. Also, once the advantage is implemented, it lasts as long as the opposition remains within 40% and disappears thereafter.

I think this simplified version would work very well, similar to Inno Games' Tribal Wars (with the addition of BP).

DeletedUser

I definitely like this idea. I agree however that there should be some deterrent to declaring war.

A 30% decrease in looted resources from cities that you are not at war with during a time of war might be adequate. In this way alliances would have to think twice before pushing the war button and gaining the war benefits.

This would be an awesome addition as well.

DeletedUser

I do not like this idea, it is to complex and would add a sense of disparity to smaller alliances.

This idea favors the common mistake of larger players all grouping together killing off the fun of any challenge in the game.

DeletedUser

Like the idea.

Give 4 options
Declare War (+10% to attacking units) - can only declare on 1 alliance at a time, while any alliance can declare on you. **could leave room to player made rules**
Declare Peace (+10% Defense to defending units)
Declare NAP (Does not allow players NAPed through the alliance the ability to actually attack one another)
Declare Ally (Can attack an alliance designated ally but with something like +10% military losses)

DeletedUser25660

As i said in an earlier version of your proposal, i don't agree. I somehow feel upset you decided to start another thread with this and discarded the no's you received and expect us to repeat ourselves.

I will not try to repeat myself, if i do, it's because the reasons are the same.
Therefore, to start, some reasons to no:

1. "When spying on a city, you have the option of keeping a spy in the city for as long as you like, providing a new spy report whenever you need it. However, to do this you must give a spy more than have of the silver in you targets cave. For example, if my opponent has 10000 silver in his/her cave, for my spy to stay there I must give it over 5000 silver everyday for it to remain unseen. If I am out of silver for any reason, I have the option to recall my spy before the day is over. If I give the spy coins but do not give it more than half, the spy is discovered and your cave loses the amount of silver in your target's cave."
So, we need to guess the silver amount... ok, when is the "discover" process made so i "give" the spy money? 0:00? 12:00? 15:45? Server time or GMT+0? What do you mean "give"? Do i send silver to somewhere? stack it in a new "long distance cave system"? And for what purpose as i can send spies whenever i choose?
Why would this complicated thing be implemented when everyone can send spies whenever they chose?

"Now we're getting to the juicy parts.". And indeed we are.

2. "You can declare war on another alliance, giving a more tactical feel to war, and make sure your enemy is punished for losing."
Ok, let's see. Alliance A plans 2 attack B. They prepare all their attack forces make the plan and they declare war for let's say 10.000 ABP. They send the war invitation and wait for B to accept. Now B, not being noobs, they know what's up, so they do the same, prepare the attacking force, make a plan. but not accept the war invitation right away. Why, because they're not stupid. So they wait let's say 12 hours so they are ready for launching at the time T. and quickly 1 minute before time T, they accept the war declaration, then send all their attacks. Alliance A falls under their own scheme because B gets the ABP in the first hours, before A even knew what happened. Case closed for A.
Ok, you will say A will only make "serious" war declaration. By that meaning only big ABP, or other conditions are met. But that's like marriage, A will ask to be in a "relationship" with B for maybe a long long time. Imagine C, asked by A to be their ally, involved in a long long thing they didn't even asked. Probably they'll go no way.
Maybe, just maybe, alliances do switch sides. Don't tell me it didn't happened before. But won't happen again as they'll be stuck in a war for as long it will take place. What misery....
My point is: lots of changes, lots of problems but for what reason?

3. Here comes the reason. Punishments and gains. Or gains and punishments.
"When you win a war, your opponent needs some sort of punishment for their loss. For a punishment, you can choose one of the following:
>Forced Diplomacy- The losing alliance(s) cannot attack a winner alliance for 1 week, and cannot declare war for 1 month.
>City Takeover- The losing alliance cannot conquer a city for 3 days, and cannot colonize for 2 days.
>Troop Limit- The soldier population of the losing alliance(s) cities is at a maximum of 700."

Forced Diplomacy - Ok, so alliance B, loosers, are now punished to not fight back. Lovely. Usually people do want to fight back, but no-no, they will not be able to do so. Because a message like "you cannot attack this alliance, they're the bosses, they owned you, now you sit in your place and eat your pain in silence. you looser." will pop up? Don' like this.
City Takeover - Better, they lost and now they can't even expand for a while? Shot in the leg they are for playing a game.
Troop limited - now this is interesting. They can't even rebuild. Great, now A can attack them without them being able to actually defend.
Should an alliance accept the eventuality of punishments? Yes, if they want to risk being their last presence on the game's world...

As said previously to the initial proposal of this, making war is not a "Gentlemen agreement". War tends to create angry mob, dislike, resentiments. And adding the "gentlemen" part doesn't quite suits war.

4. Abuse prevention. Is there really none?

Ok, let's see A and B alliances are palls. You know, really good friendly alliance. And A and B have ghost players. THey decide they DO want to take over their own dead weight. Why not make some great bp from this? So, A and B decide to create a war for bonuses. Yep, A send their dead list to B and B sends their dead list to A. They create the war declaration based on let's say 150.000 bp. Then, they start attacking dead players. They get 50% more abp attacking the other alliance dead players than they normally would by attacking their own players. They also keep the score internally, how many abp each one has (in order to not end the war before each get the most possible), and what towns are cleared. The war ends, offcourse they didn't set any punishments, they're palls and palls don't do that! And now, they killed troops worth of 100.000 bp but got 150.000 because of the "war declaration benefits". Satisfied, each alliance now sends the list of the cleared towns to the other alliance, and internally take over the dead players.
Rinse and repeat. Each time A and B have dead players or want some free bp, they just "create a war" and abuse the world as they please.
Prevention? None.
Abuse? A lot.

Having said the above, i don't want 2 write more. My fingers hurt. Let's not ruin the game with this, at least in current form. Please.

^^ This, especially item 4. Alliance A and alliance B making 'against-spirit' agreements , 'pseudo-wars', so as to gain easy Bps.

Can't believe this post was ignored. :rolleyes: Until this is addressed, NO from me.

DeletedUser

To be honest, however it needs a lot of work before it can be even considered to be used by the devs, it is one of the greatest idea's for grepo I've ever seen.

DeletedUser47369

I think its a good idea but would be a major change for Grepo

Looks like a new game .

DeletedUser26772

I like this idea in general. I think there should be benefits to declaring and quickly winning a war, and strong punishments for being annoying and declaring a war which you then proceed to lose, within well-defined constraints and time periods. Points are probably more meaningful than the gross number of cities taken in one direction or the other.

I also like the idea of a war having a finite time period and objective. We have too many perpetual cold wars that accomplish nothing. Really declaring a war would help. But we should also keep in mind bully alliances that got big first, trying to beat up on newer smaller alliances (especially early on in a world) so the risks of declaring war as a bully are substantial. There should also be substantial penalties if you declare (and lose) a lot of wars because you are just obnoxious. And huge upsides if you get attacked and declared on for no good reason and win, especially by a much larger alliance.

Another thought -- random undeclared attacks should be penalized, they just favor those who are online all the time. A war might have a finite and not-too-short timeframe, like 2 weeks or until a major objectie is achieved.

DeletedUser

I share the reservations of Kuriants and qubitsized. Although this idea well presented it will actually have the effect of the institutionalisation of conflict and reduce it rather enhance gameplay in Grepolis. I don't deny that it is well thought out but I don't agree with it.