A Short And Sound Plan To Save Grepolis

DeletedUser41523

I've played Grepolis for 11 years, starting as a kid and growing into an adult during that time. This game has been good to me, I've met a lot of great people through here, some of whom I'm real life friends with now even. Hands down, despite its flaws, this is the best multiplayer game that I've ever played. That said, the game has changed, its clear that new players and even many returning players cannot keep up with the times. The game is much faster now than it was in 2013, it should be adjusted to account for that. While I'm sure that for the diehards, these opinions won't be popular, its necessary in order to actually preserve and grow the game. Here's my list of suggestions to ensure that we still have Grep in 2030.

Extended Protection: When we had the original protection periods in the game, a 3 speed server took about 3 weeks to hit conquest. Now a days, you'll be at conquest 5-10 days after starting a speed 2. The speed of the game increased, but the protection periods didn't. A week, even if you're fully committed, isn't enough to learn how to play the game well. The protection period really should be upward of 14 days, which would be an easy fix. In addition, there should probably be another week or two of no conquest combat. Fact is that losing your main city right out of the gate won't inspire you to stick a world out. Especially if you're a newer player.

Hephaestus' Blessing: The fact that this isn't active on every world, despite being popular, is really crazy. Helping players establish built cities faster will only keep them around for longer periods, especially when city losses start to pile up or when it comes time to build WW cores.

Advertising: Plain and simple, this game would be a lot better if the maps were bigger. It opens up game play options beyond joining the best premade that will let you in. You do that by advertising. This game could still be huge if it invested into advertising. Its kind of like choosing which college party you want to attend, you going to the one with 3 dudes circle jerking around an empty keg or a lively party with plenty of people at it? Choice is pretty obvious for me, probably is for most other people here too. Grep has the brand and recognition to be huge if it only attempted to do so.

These would be my three fixes off the top of my head that would help maintain Grepolis for a decade. Inno already knows its gonna be releasing Grepolis 2.0 at some point so it may as well just maintain this game.

Albozzz

Chiliarch
07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

TheLastCrusader

Phrourach
I've played Grepolis for 11 years, starting as a kid and growing into an adult during that time. This game has been good to me, I've met a lot of great people through here, some of whom I'm real life friends with now even. Hands down, despite its flaws, this is the best multiplayer game that I've ever played. That said, the game has changed, its clear that new players and even many returning players cannot keep up with the times. The game is much faster now than it was in 2013, it should be adjusted to account for that. While I'm sure that for the diehards, these opinions won't be popular, its necessary in order to actually preserve and grow the game. Here's my list of suggestions to ensure that we still have Grep in 2030.

Extended Protection: When we had the original protection periods in the game, a 3 speed server took about 3 weeks to hit conquest. Now a days, you'll be at conquest 5-10 days after starting a speed 2. The speed of the game increased, but the protection periods didn't. A week, even if you're fully committed, isn't enough to learn how to play the game well. The protection period really should be upward of 14 days, which would be an easy fix. In addition, there should probably be another week or two of no conquest combat. Fact is that losing your main city right out of the gate won't inspire you to stick a world out. Especially if you're a newer player.

Hephaestus' Blessing: The fact that this isn't active on every world, despite being popular, is really crazy. Helping players establish built cities faster will only keep them around for longer periods, especially when city losses start to pile up or when it comes time to build WW cores.

Advertising: Plain and simple, this game would be a lot better if the maps were bigger. It opens up game play options beyond joining the best premade that will let you in. You do that by advertising. This game could still be huge if it invested into advertising. Its kind of like choosing which college party you want to attend, you going to the one with 3 dudes circle jerking around an empty keg or a lively party with plenty of people at it? Choice is pretty obvious for me, is for most other people here too. Grep has the brand and recognition to be huge if it only attempted to do so.

These would be my three fixes off the top of my head that would help maintain Grepolis for a decade. Inno already knows its gonna be releasing Grepolis 2.0 at some point so it may as well just maintain this game.
The problem with extended protection is that the veterans would absolutely hate it. A better idea would to be just to make a few worlds like this that are for beginners ,and then space out the worlds for the "veterans". This would also make the worlds for the "veterans" more competitive and fun. Also it might be a good idea to make it so the worlds that are intended for the beginners have a cap on how high you're grepolis score can be too join. I know people could just create new accounts to join but I know some people are attached to their name as well as there are a few others who would respect if its a considered a noob world they wouldn't join giving the new players a chance to grow.

DeletedUser41523

That wouldn’t really cause veterans to stay off of beginners worlds or cause beginners to stay off of veterans worlds though. Even if you locked veterans out of beginners worlds, some would just make new accounts. There’s also the fact that these worlds come months apart so veterans/new players would just. It also wouldn’t actually teach anyone anything.

Really the options are slow the game way down to 2013 Grep. Or at least give new players enough time to learn some of the game and get 5+ towns.

It might not be a bad idea to take that one world’s option to have an unconquerable city and apply it to somebody’s main city for a couple of months. Or if somebody restarts/gets rimmed, they start with a copy of their largest city.

As for the veterans. You could all just break BP early like always.

Zarun-

Strategos
Save grepolis by closing conquest and running revolt worlds exclusively :) Nearly double the playerbase overnight.

Now that's a good question, which is the bigger money maker? Have seen lots of big spender on revolts, but only played one cq. It wasn't very gold heavy if I remember.

(not serious btw)

NutsNBoltz

Strategos

Advertising: Plain and simple, this game would be a lot better if the maps were bigger. It opens up game play options beyond joining the best premade that will let you in. You do that by advertising. This game could still be huge if it invested into advertising. Its kind of like choosing which college party you want to attend, you going to the one with 3 dudes circle jerking around an empty keg or a lively party with plenty of people at it? Choice is pretty obvious for me, probably is for most other people here too. Grep has the brand and recognition to be huge if it only attempted to do so.

To be honest brother, I disagree. We agree on advertising, that's how I found out about this game it it was brought back. But extending protection to 2 weeks? Not interested, especially since founding isn't conducive to good alliance growth. I get that a newer player maybe should be able to active an extended bp if its a new account, but that's only reason I see to do it.

For the blessing, it's popular because people would MUCH rather found and fall back than fight and push ground. The blessing is the opposite, perhaps make foundings slightly better than 1k points, but the blessing just makes teams who refuse to fight, continue to refuse. Defending is too easy, and if I can just defense and get 4k new cities, it's a no brainer to just build def, found, build def.

I get the concepts, but I cannot say I 100% agree with the implementation. Tribal wars has account manager, which would make building foundlings easy and should be added to here. Perhaps a barbarian city mechanic too to have grey cities spawn, stay, and grow the 2k-3k points etc.

NutsNBoltz

Strategos
Save grepolis by closing conquest and running revolt worlds exclusively :) Nearly double the playerbase overnight.

Now that's a good question, which is the bigger money maker? Have seen lots of big spender on revolts, but only played one cq. It wasn't very gold heavy if I remember.

(not serious btw)

also this is a good point. Conquest has become "do you always have alarm on, the game" I started there, it was an awesome concept to be honest, but now it is spam, 0 walls, and killing. You could better balance offense and defense if you do the revolt mode, and in doing so can fix revolt timer so it's not always 12 hours to RR, but can do servers with 6 hour, 8 hour windows, etc.

To be honest brother, I disagree. We agree on advertising, that's how I found out about this game it it was brought back. But extending protection to 2 weeks? Not interested, especially since founding isn't conducive to good alliance growth. I get that a newer player maybe should be able to active an extended bp if its a new account, but that's only reason I see to do it.

For the blessing, it's popular because people would MUCH rather found and fall back than fight and push ground. The blessing is the opposite, perhaps make foundings slightly better than 1k points, but the blessing just makes teams who refuse to fight, continue to refuse. Defending is too easy, and if I can just defense and get 4k new cities, it's a no brainer to just build def, found, build def.

I get the concepts, but I cannot say I 100% agree with the implementation. Tribal wars has account manager, which would make building foundlings easy and should be added to here. Perhaps a barbarian city mechanic too to have grey cities spawn, stay, and grow the 2k-3k points etc.
And remove farming villages and add it to production, removes the farm botters and people who cant play all day will still have a chance at keeping up.
Would also make farming these grey’s viable^^
This wont fix the problem of same premades dominating every server though, thats up to you pmade noobs

Zarun-

Strategos
This wont fix the problem of same premades dominating every server though, thats up to you pmade noobs
EN138 QoQ is a mix of 123 winners and players from 135, plus new ones we are picking up.

I am putting together a diverse roster for October. We are looking for 3+ revolt, ww or dom.

NutsNBoltz

Strategos
Yeah i didnt ask, and thats not exactly helping the problem either.

the worlds are so small already, and people are still dropping with 50+ members.
Alliance caps could be lowered, support locked to alliance only, introduce greys/ghosts to fill the world a bit more

and remove instant buy bruh, replace it with 50% buying

I mean ideally 50 members should be solid team. but locking support I like.

guyman101

Phrourach
Meh, game is already dead. Just combine the player bases from all the servers, let people keep all their wins and achievements. That's the only I could see this game surviving for another few years. Otherwise, player counts are just gonna keep going down and down on each individual server as this game slowly dies out. The core oceans are barely getting filled up anymore, let alone any type of rim ocean.

Zarun-

Strategos
I plan to play for another year at least, game's not dead yet :)

I was just messing around in en135 but en138 has been so much fun so far!

guyman101

Phrourach
I mean the game isn't completely dead, but its on its way out and quickly. Just look at the player counts on each new world. It gets smaller and smaller each time.

BLG-CH

Phrourach
Maybe make multiple city start default or frequent
smiley-emoticons-baby-taptap.gif

Buff gods and heroes. Add new stuff like create a bermuda triangle with favor, the more people of an alliance invest favor into it the stronger it becomes and or larger. Units traveling through those areas will suffer losses.
Same can be done for offense, faster travel (minecraft dolphins), stronger attack (ares?).
Earthquake could be island wide. Cast more eq on different island for stronger effects. Eq could be cleansed so have to cast cp. Have attacks where multiple players can stack a spell onto it. something like ghost spartoi (make it expensive tho and limit it).
smiley-emoticons-blush-pfeif.gif

Ability to invest favor and resources in to creating mythic island which generate myth units or less costly. When taken over by an enemy the island stays the same. Maybe add capability to attack myth islands to kill the myths or cleanse with favor. Maybe one god can kill myths island of some specific gods.
smiley-emoticons-kaffee2.gif

Remove instant gold buy, make it %.
smiley-emoticons-bravo2.gif

Remove or nerf the 50 gold for 1 cp, way too strong even for players who don't invest money in to this game but just trade for it.
smiley-emoticons-candle.gif

Nerf pacts naps etc. Gods get jealous when humans rely on other humans instead of gods. And they get angry and pissed off. One way would be to let the examples above have negative effects on pact members because the gods only want to help the people who you are in the same alliance with but they feel betrayed if they help out of alliance players. Same holds for stacking sieges or stacking vs revolt. Gods get annoyed when you help other players who arent in your alliance and wipe units or cast negative spells or come in form of a bull and... lets say it has to do with europa and steal your population.
smiley-emoticons-kolobok-sanduhr.gif

Create an underworld in which travel time takes 1/8 of the time but you loose 50% of troops and get a temporary attack and def debuff.
smiley-emoticons-saufen.gif

Create camps and fortifications on island. People can send units there to then attack over land on that island and be bundled together. But fortifications can also be attacked.
smiley-emoticons-nicken.gif

Make a decent amount of money earned from people buying gold into sensible advertisement and I may even buy some gold
smiley-emoticons-daumendreh2.gif

Keep the option for people to earn a lot of gold through the gold market. without paying It's a great feature and is what I really like about this game. Adds a good amount of balance to the game. Probably one of the reasons why I keep returning to this game, and not others.
smiley-emoticons-kciuki.gif

smiley-emoticons-grepolis.gif
smiley-emoticons-greenistan.gif
smiley-emoticons-lovelove-light.gif

^ long and maybe not sound plan

well too bad

Chiliarch
I do agree with the general idea BLG is trying to say. Introducing new mechanics that increase interaction and make new players enjoy the game. Especially if they drop in casual worlds, things like fortifications or different kinds of bandits can help them learn the game a bit more deeply before dropping in competitive worlds.
And then more mechanics for the older players to feel they are getting new content in the game.