Proposal Abandoning a city

Sorin Markov

Phrourach
We've all had that city that's in the middle of nowhere, 12-hour TT to anything meaningful, and nobody will take it off your hands. Sure you can use it for LTS, but wouldn't it be better if you could free up that slot for a city closer to the action? Introducing the idea of Abandon City! In the agora, there could be a button saying Abandon City. There would be a confirmation prompt when you press the button making sure that that's what you want to do. To stop people from abusing this for easy flips in revolt, abandoning the city would take 12 or 24 hours. After all, you have to get all your citizens out safely! The abandoned city turns into a ghost city and you have your free slot to use wherever you wish!

This would help so much with things like relocating. I've often found that, whether due to canceled plans, bad luck, or my own poor play, I have cities on the edges of my alliance or even isolated from it and I wish I had the slots to be able to relocate to my alliance core, but I've already spent them where I am and can't change that. This would be a great change that works thematically with the game and eases the frustration of misplaced cities!

sambr09

Hipparchus
I like this too, I think there's some testing that would need to go into this and how it could get abused, I'd definitely think a 24 hour timer (revolt) would work best as with 12 hours, you could activate it the first sign of attack (slower worlds TTs are long) in order to flip the city.

VIRTUALSELF

Phrourach
Good idea but almost impossible to design it so that it can't be abused.
Make it 1 week countdown or something like that, if it is 24 or 48 hours it is guaranteed to be abused by having spies telling OP info or just keeping all cities in abandon mode always and then have teammates cancel the abandonment by revolting/cs'ing the city

1 week countdown, city will be inaccessible in the timeframe and other players will be notified when attacking that the city is being abandoned and can't be attacked as citizen are being evacuated

MasterSpy

Chiliarch
Maybe limit the amount you could use it. Either like the VM thing ie. a certain amount per year, available in events or based on your size (ie the larger you are the longer it takes time wise to earn an 'abandon city slot'.

Sorin Markov

Phrourach
Good idea but almost impossible to design it so that it can't be abused.
Make it 1 week countdown or something like that, if it is 24 or 48 hours it is guaranteed to be abused by having spies telling OP info or just keeping all cities in abandon mode always and then have teammates cancel the abandonment by revolting/cs'ing the city

1 week countdown, city will be inaccessible in the timeframe and other players will be notified when attacking that the city is being abandoned and can't be attacked as citizen are being evacuated
Either one of those "abuses" take a lot of effort and coordination. If it's a spy, your team can just revolt the OP'd's cities beforehand anyway and it has the same effect. I suppose it's different for CQ. 1 week feels a bit long, maybe as long as 2 days if the team really feels like it can be abused. The city being inaccessible is in the spirit of it, citizens don't have time for much else while fully evacuating, but people should still be able to attack it. Not being able to attack it would make it even more abusable, I think.

Good thoughts though, I hadn't considered that.