Passed Alliance Forum Access Levels

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes; Alliance organization and security are imperative!

Votes: 63 91.3%
  • No; Complicates the forum too much!

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal:
Allow alliance leaders to customize forum access by assigning players into anywhere from one to five forum groups and give them access restrictions.

Reason:
Various alliances have special groupings for various posts/info for their players. Each player or group of players have certain responsibilities within an alliance. Access and restricted access to view/write in various forums is required to manage these duties. Currently only 'Hidden' or non-hidden forum sections can be setup, however this is too restrictive. It would be a major improvement to include each player in a Forum Group to gain read and/or write access to various forum sections to restrict/control access in the forums.

Details:
This is an expansion of the 'Hidden' feature of the existing alliance forums. There could be 5 Forum Access Groups, each player can be assigned No Access (blank tick box), read access (grey tick box) or full forum read/write access (full tick box) to the various forum sections. When a player joins an alliance, their default would be Group 1 read only, and would only be allowed to read any Group 1 Forums. Players who have all groups ticked, could access/read/write in all forum sections (ie. founders). Any combination of access to any forum sections can be created this way.

When setting up players / forums, an empty tick box means no access for that player / Forum-Group, single click for a grey tick box means read only access for that player / Forum-Group, another click would make it a full tick which means read/write access for that player / Forum-Group, and to clear it just click again to cycle through.

When creating a new forum section, the player creating it would only be able to set up in their own forum groups (ie. an alliance forum mod creating a new section who only has Group 1/3/4 access could only create those group forum sections).

Visual Aids:

Forum Groups- Player Edit Change:
rby5pj.png

Forum Groups - Player Display Change:
2a8nk0m.png

Forum Groups - Forum Setup:
m40006fgl-forum-levelu79.png

Forum Groups - Forum Changes:
2zitrwm.png

Balance:
This would require an additional setting for players and all forum sections , and to match them when viewing the alliance forums for filtering out restricted sections/threads, with read/write enabled. If read only access is given and no write access, then there would be no 'REPLY' button in the thread being read for that given player.

Abuse Prevention:
Not possible to 'cheat' as such - this is an alliance forum feature not a game play feature. The usual Forum Mod Authorization still works the same, except players would only be able to moderate in the Forum Groups they have full (read/write) access to.

Summary:
This would allow alliances to fully customize their Alliance Forum Access to the various forum sections/tabs to: new players only (ie a probation forum section), allow full member sections, allow Officer Forum Sections, allow Diplomat Forum Sections, allow Council/Leader sections, allow a Founder Forum Section all independent of each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If anyone has any further suggestions that make sense, please post and I'll update this.

DeletedUser

I like the idea. I have actually considered proposing something similar as well recently. However, I think ten access levels is too many. Five access levels would probably work perfect.

DeletedUser

This sounds like a fantastic idea! I always struggle to stop members posting in the Announcments... Or keeping a Leader & Founder Forums closed to others!

Another little extra you could use this for is posting; For instance aswell as access, you could also have posting levels:

Access Level: 5
Posting Level: 1

If you get me? Also, I agree with Chrss, 5 Access Levels are enough!

DeletedUser

This sounds like a fantastic idea! I always struggle to stop members posting in the Announcments... Or keeping a Leader & Founder Forums closed to others!

Another little extra you could use this for is posting; For instance aswell as access, you could also have posting levels:

If you get me? Also, I agree with Chrss, 5 Acess Levels are enough!

I like the idea, but 5 access levels are enough for me. Also, there should be a posting level.

DeletedUser

If you get me? Also, I agree with Chrss, 5 Acess Levels are enough!
Agreed. And the posting level part you suggested goes hand in hand with the locked sub forum idea suggested earlier.

I really hope the op keeps up with this. I really like the idea.

Also, just off the top of my head. Maybe there could be a spot on the section where it displays both levels. That way the players know beforehand who can see the threads in the section.

DeletedUser1405

I agree with the 5 levels i would also like a thread where only invited people could post, for obvious reasons.

DeletedUser

I will re-do this if only 5 levels are required and read/write privies are needed per player, as there is a better way for it to cater for a fundamental flaw in this kind of 'level' access. Forum Group (or Player Class) Access is much more flexible.

DeletedUser

Original post removed (here for reference though):

** NEW IDEA UPDATED IN FIRST POST **
Proposal:
Allow Player Forum Access Levels (FAL) to restrict alliance forum sections/threads from view

Reason:
Various alliances have special groupings for various posts/info for their players. Each player or group of players have certain responsibilities within an alliance. Access and restricted access is required to manage these duties. Currently only 'Hidden' or non-hidden forum sections can be setup, however this is too restrictive. It would be a major improvement (with little effort) to include Player Alliance Access Levels associated with various Forum Alliance Access Levels to restrict view of those sections/tabs. This can also be done with specific posts/threads.

Details:
This is a major enhancement to the 'Hidden' feature of the existing alliance forum section. FAL ranges from 10 to 1, 1 being access to all forums, 10 access to only level 10 rated Forum Sections. When a player joins an alliance, their FAL would default to 10 and would only be allowed to access FAL sections/threads marked as level 10. Players who have a level 5 FAL, could access level 5+ FAL forum sections. Founders would tend to be the only ones with FAL's of 1, to access forum sections level 1 to 10 (ie all forums). When creating a new forum section, the player creating it would only be able to set up to their own FAL (ie an Alliance Forum Mod creating a new section who only has a level 5 FAL, could only create level 5 FAL forum sections).

Visual Aids:
FAL - Player Edit Change:
roflsaurus.com/users/public/p4355forum-player-editf79.png

FAL - Player Display Change:
roflsaurus.com/users/public/u18779forum-player-displayd79.png

FAL - Forum Setup:
roflsaurus.com/users/public/n50276forum-levelk79.png

FAL - Forum Changes:
roflsaurus.com/users/public/a18092forum-list-levelo79.png

Balance:
This would require an additional setting for players and all forum sections , and to match them when viewing the alliance forums for filtering our restricted sections/threads.

Abuse Prevention:
Not possible to 'cheat' as such - this is an alliance forum feature not a game play feature

Summary:
This would allow alliances to assign and restrict access to the various forum sections/tabs to: new players only (ie a probation forum section), allow full member sections, allow Officer Forum Sections, allow Diplomat Forum Sections, allow Council/Leader sections, allow a Founder Forum Section all independent of each other but cascading downward. This could also apply to shared forums.

DeletedUser

Thanks for updating Qlander, it is now a great idea! It has always been good, but now it is great!

DeletedUser2663

great idea and would greatly restricted the effectiveness of spies. + rep for you mate =)

DeletedUser

I guess this ideas is so perfect it doesn't get discussed much lol

DeletedUser

people love it, see that other people love it. so they don't post. then it goes down the page as a idea that people don't think about

(i love the idea)

DeletedUser

great idea and would greatly restricted the effectiveness of spies. + rep for you mate =)

I think that it can also help to root out spies. If you realize that your enemy knows everything coming from the non-hidden forums, that doesnt lessen it that much.

If you know the enemy has all of there information from sub-level 3, then it lowers the amount of people who are suspected spies so you have a much better chance at rooting out the spy.

AND QLANDER GREAT IDEA

DeletedUser

since everybody likes it , including me maybe some mod could make us some kind of survey so that we can vote it and maybe we can get it in the next update ?

DeletedUser

Great idea. Hope it gets moved through quickly. Would be very helpful

DeletedUser

Is a brilliant idea, is exactly what i need to impliment a new structure system within my alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.