Alliance pacts.. how to tell when you've gone too far.

DeletedUser

Okay Athens, I don't think anyone will deny that occasionally pacts are good.. When you're a small alliance in need of one or two allies to protect each other, or when you're fighting against a much larger alliance, to give just two examples.

However, I can't help but wonder if some people take pacts a little too far...
4JSsz.png

This is perhaps an example of a 'MPA', a Mass Pact Alliance.. What do people think of this strategy, allying with every alliance in sight, to avoid fights?

DeletedUser

I'm sure there's probably been more pacts than that at some point, it just amazed me that in a war game they have that on their alliance profile, as if it's something to be proud of that they have 60 allies and no enemies..

DeletedUser17950

What is the difference between one alliance having 90% of the cities in an ocean, and 61 alliances doing the same but in a pact. They might be seeing who is active for mergers etc. Where as one alliance might just recruit everyone and have the same result.

DeletedUser

What is the difference between one alliance having 90% of the cities in an ocean, and 61 alliances doing the same but in a pact. They might be seeing who is active for mergers etc. Where as one alliance might just recruit everyone and have the same result.

Given that the majority of the alliance pacted there are in single figures, as far as membership, and are spread out across several oceans, it seemed to me that it was more a case of allying with any alliances possible rather than allying for strategic reasons. But hey, I may be wrong, maybe they have some master plan.

DeletedUser

last time i checked alliances with 1 member aren't that much of a threat to world peace :)

DeletedUser17950

Maybe the bigger ones and being kind to the loan player. Letting them grow for a better fight later. Although, I do know some Alliances support my cities and attack there own troops for BP which I also find strange.

DeletedUser

Maybe the bigger ones and being kind to the loan player. Letting them grow for a better fight later. Although, I do know some Alliances support my cities and attack there own troops for BP which I also find strange.

Maybe they think you're inactive, so use your city to kill off troops, as they cannot do it in their own? I usually do it with ghosts, as you always have 100% morale against them, but I'm sure many people kill off their troops against other players in that fashion.

DeletedUser

Back in Gamma when I just joined Grepo I led an alliance and we were proud of our 38 pacts :D

Now I limit all pacts to 2 at most.

DeletedUser

Back in Gamma when I just joined Grepo I led an alliance and we were proud of our 38 pacts :D

Now I limit all pacts to 2 at most.

Was that 38 pacts, 0 enemies? Or did you actually have people to fight, as well as people to ally with?

DeletedUser

A lot of people seem to like to limit the amount of allies they have to 2, but I think 5 and under would be a better policy. As long as your allies are on the same level as yours and can be trusted I don't think that having 4 or 5 allies would be much of a problem.

DeletedUser

A lot of people seem to like to limit the amount of allies they have to 2, but I think 5 and under would be a better policy. As long as your allies are on the same level as yours and can be trusted I don't think that having 4 or 5 allies would be much of a problem.

Ideally, you don't want them to be in the same areas as you either. If they are, sooner or later you will end up competing for cities.

DeletedUser

I think it would be ideal to have your allies at your borders.

That's not always so easy, unless your alliance is only located in one ocean. I guess a possible scenario would be 4 alliances, each controlling one of the core oceans, each pacted with the others.

DeletedUser

I'd rather have one ally that fought with you than fifty that listed you on their profile !
Leonidas_Head2.gif