Allow me to introduce myself...and ask some for some opinions

DeletedUser

This is my first post, so please be gentle! I hope I've put the thread in the appropriate area.

I've been playing Grepolis for about six weeks, and have used this forum a great deal to better play the game and avoid being a total n00b. I joined this world because I am keen to avoid making the same mistakes I've made previously. I made some terrible decisions in choosing an alliance the first time around, and as a result, although I consider myself a pretty good player in relation to how long I've played, my game became stale due to inactive alliances, and my capacity to learn stunted because the finer points of the game involved being a part of a coordinated well run alliance, which I wasn't. I have finally been adopted by a good alliance on another world, but feel I am way behind on knowledge compared to the other players there.

This time I have avoided jumping straight into an alliance, looked for articulate invites, avoided obvious MRAs, and alliances who have pacted immediately. I have also looked up members of alliances who have either been active on these main forums, so I can read how they operate, or have been members for a long time, giving me an indication of their experience in the game, the latter of which has been pretty sparse.

I would like to choose an alliance before BP runs out, but due to information overload, thought it might be a good idea to ask opinion on the options available to me, based either/and on decently worded invites, profile, main forum members and location. Would members be happy to give their opinion on the following Alliances? *ducks*

The Sacred Band
The Shadow Force
Armata di l ombra
Picky Eaters
Alpha Elite

It was probably a faux pas publicly posting my indecisiveness, but me 'eads done in!

Many thanks,

Kmath71

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27700

Welcome Kmath71

If you are looking for an Alliance, I will move this into the Alliance section of the forum.

Welcome to the Forums, and Best of Luck :)

DeletedUser

Thank you :). I'm even starting to look players up on the Grepos Intel site...too much coffee perhaps?! :D

DeletedUser27700

Nope, that's a good sign. There are many tools at your disposal, the more you use the further you will go, imho.

DeletedUser

I'm happy so far with Alpha Elite. I inquired with them because they had two cities on my island and six on the adjacent island, so I figured we'd be in great position to support each other.

DeletedUser

Would members be happy to give their opinion on the following Alliances? *ducks*
The Sacred Band
The Shadow Force
Armata di l ombra
Picky Eaters
Alpha Elite

I'll not give you opinion but give you advice. :)

The best thing for newbie player is to send a message to some large MRA that invites everybody around (like for example "The Brotherhood" here), join them and learn the game there. Such alliances will have some more-less experienced leaders, "Guides" sub-forum with different learning threads/posts, people teach each other in forums much.

Concerning better alliances - there are problems with them:
1. Very likely you'll not be invited there being an noob.
2. Even if you'll somehow come in such alliance - it will be difficult for you learn something there because normally there is no "Guides" sub-forum, practically no tactical discussions, strategical discussions will be above your present level of understanding and there is less fun overall.

Therefore find large and active alliance, go there and learn the game. If you'll be successful in it and be able show nice ABPs and conquers - you'll be able change alliance on better if you will want to. :)

DeletedUser11886

Ahaha, no. Sorry the 'Brotherhood' isn't recruiting new players (sadly) as we are only recruiting for the academy those with some previous experience so we can teach them with our more veteran players. Because of this, we barely have a guides, which no one uses and we follow what you call not a MRA. Not all MRAs are bad, and if players like you teach new players that they are... then there really is no future to this game. Back in the days a few years ago MRAs actually were good alliances until 'newbs' came along and ruined it, giving us the bad reputation.

Also, unlike what you say about us not being able to strategize, and have fun at the same time... Thats very wrong. Very very wrong.

DeletedUser

...Not all MRAs are bad, and if players like you teach new players that they are... then there really is no future to this game. ...

MRAs are normally bad. But they are still the best way to teach newcomers - i agree with that. Just not many experienced people like (or have time) to teach noobs, get tired from such teaching and questions/mistakes of noobs quickly and leave MRAs soon to join alliances with experienced people only - therefore "elite" alliances with strict recruitment created and exist.

But i know too some examples of pretty good MRAs that were capable at least resist to far more skillful (but less numbered) "elite" alliance - like "The Agema" in Knossos who competed LoDs. Such not bad MRAs happen too, but very rare.

P.S. Still, my point was that the best way to learn the game - join some MRA and learn basics there.

DeletedUser65

Any alliance is simply a projection of an individual players ideals (with a few exceptions), so it would be a lot better to research the player leading a given alliance rather than the alliance itself.

Alternatively, you sit tight without an alliance for a while and watch how things unfold, both here and in-game and make a more informed decision then.

Honestly, not many of the alliances/players in this world look to be worth all that much, but things change as the world unfolds.

DeletedUser

Some interesting responses so far, thank you. I suppose the question I need to ask myself, is 'how many basic game concepts have I grasped, and how many more exist am I unaware of?' I have approached what I believe to be a good alliance, but it is clearly not an MRA or Academy, which does go against the advice I now find here. However, I did give an indication of how much I do know, and believe the founders will have enough experience to determine whether I'd be biting off more than I can chew if I join them. Time will tell :)

DeletedUser11886

Good luck ;) By the way I agree with Tmesis, people are jumping to conclusions too fast.