Annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser30636

Aw, I missed the political discussion :( My favorite.. Obviously a little off-topic here, though (even if the thread's title is "Annoying.")

And yeah Shrefty, I was your #2/3 in Impact this server before things went south.

I remember now, i just remember playing with you in Paros or Myonia or something, idk why

DeletedUser5819

Thanks for your memory vircona, however I have no idea who you are or where we may have met, so I can't return the favour. If you don't remember me as an extremely active and aggressive top 10 player then you came a year or more late to the show.

My first serial bolter was the previous owner of my 3rd or 4th ever Grepo-city - his only one ofc, as very few of us had more than one at that time. I think his name was something rooster (not jones) and it took him months to stop, though his activity tailed off after a few weeks. Most of the (many) others were under names I didn't recognise - maybe one of them was vircona :D. They may have been the same guy with new accounts ofc, but he had also repeatedly mailed me angrily, which none of the others have ever bothered to do.

I have always found ignoring them and they go away to be successful. Very few stick it out past 2 weeks. I just don't see what the fuss is about. You take their city, and they drop the buildings a few levels. Big boo hoo.

Just toughen up a bit and don't give them the satisfaction of seeing you cry/rage - that is their job, after all.

DeletedUser41523

Aw, I missed the political discussion :( My favorite.. Obviously a little off-topic here, though (even if the thread's title is "Annoying.")

And yeah Shrefty, I was your #2/3 in Impact this server before things went south.

You're always welcomed to spark on up in game if you want. I'm practicing politics so its nice to learn other's rationale and views. :D

*note* If I ever get in a debate with anyone here, this is strictly the reason why. Its rarely ever personal. I think only one person ever really got me to a point where I made it personal.

As for Sirloin, I remember them as a good player, also a good steak...

DeletedUser37948

this thread is awsome

as for my analergies, i use extremes of the spectrum to highlight the dangers involved in giving credance to petty vindictive acts.

out of a seed grows the mighty oak , id rather the seed not be petty and vindictive.

as for bolting in these sircumstances being petty and vindictive. its simple to answer by looking to explore the motivation behind it , what is the gain from this act ?

i find it interesting and worrying that so many inteligent people dont see this as wrong even if it is at the lowest end of the spectrum.

still when we have experianced so many wars for personal gain concentration camps and ethinic cleansing i should not be suprised by inteligent peoples morality realy!

DeletedUser22650

i in no way condone bolting, eq's are one thing, i just dont support moaning about bolters either....think of the solution not the problem and hunt the guy or put up with being bolted those are the options

DeletedUser37948

not much you can do to be fair , it just happens but im never going to condone it as i feel its just bad sportmanship.

i just feel condoning it makes it more socialy exceptable and i dont feel thats a good thing hence my posts

i dont feel this type of action aid's the comunity in a positive way

DeletedUser23986

I often enjoy bolting/EQing others just because I know it makes them angry. When i have favor leaking, why should I not irritate my enemies, and force them into wasting their resources.

DeletedUser22650

i met some good buddys on xi by chatting them into bounty hunting a guy who was bolting me daily then forwarded the message to bolt guy to show him i orchestrated his downfall again, all be it in a roundabout way, it turned out all positive from my point of view, this is grepolis, check your morality at the door because might is right here, if you can do something without getting rimmed for it its all good

......hassan plz join NW nyssa and bolt me so i can hunt you for it :p

DeletedUser37948

I often enjoy bolting/EQing others just because I know it makes them angry. When i have favor leaking, why should I not irritate my enemies, and force them into wasting their resources.

just to clarifi im talking about payers who get rimmed and just come back for revenge bolting nothing else

i have no issue with bolting motivated for gain in a formate relating to winning this game

just dont like sour grapes bolting

DeletedUser37948

i met some good buddys on xi by chatting them into bounty hunting a guy who was bolting me daily then forwarded the message to bolt guy to show him i orchestrated his downfall again, all be it in a roundabout way, it turned out all positive from my point of view, this is grepolis, check your morality at the door because might is right here, if you can do something without getting rimmed for it its all good

im going to keep my morality personaly and try to win anyway :) but i except others wont do the same after all human nature encompases all types of scumbags and online you could be talking to a well know mass murderer and never know.

DeletedUser

as for bolting in these sircumstances being petty and vindictive. its simple to answer by looking to explore the motivation behind it , what is the gain from this act ?

You've been told several times what their motivation is - to annoy you, which they have clearly achieved. They have gained the satisfaction of seeing you complain on the forums because they bolt your friend once a day (and given the rest of us the satisfaction too!).

i find it interesting and worrying that so many inteligent people dont see this as wrong even if it is at the lowest end of the spectrum.

Worrying that people hold a different viewpoint to your own? What else do you expect the player to do? Viv is in the top alliance and a very high ranking player, do you think for a second that he would stand a chance if he were to try and take his city back?

J.n.c 1993

Strategos
Hmm... Was thinking of closing this thread as it's gone in and out off topic countless times but I'll keep it open as long as there's no personal insults or to much off-topic posts.

Bolting ehh? I remember back on Eta, when my alliance shared a forum with a few other alliances... one of the main leaders of another alliance used to organise a mass bolting against an enemy leader who had dozens of cities. Hahaha, was cruel but funny at the same time.

James

DeletedUser37948

You've been told several times what their motivation is - to annoy you, which they have clearly achieved. They have gained the satisfaction of seeing you complain on the forums because they bolt your friend once a day (and given the rest of us the satisfaction too!).

Worrying that people hold a different viewpoint to your own? What else do you expect the player to do? Viv is in the top alliance and a very high ranking player, do you think for a second that he would stand a chance if he were to try and take his city back?

when i read you post harry i feel ive maybe hit a nerve , just so you know viv is more an aquantance i have respect for as for being anoyed im not im just debating and voicing my veiws about this subject matter.

as for your point about him standing a chance of getting his city back im not understanding the relivance to be honest.

we sign up to play a game and quite clearly one of the risks is losing cities it part and parcle of the game so why would i be upset if the enivtable happens and as this is just a game why would i deliberatly seek to upset people i play with.

i dont want to advocate deliberatly upsetting that just seems a bit like bullying and my post here are such because so many people are defending this pointless action , well as you pointed out not pointless but motivated by a need to upset another person for simply playing a game and winning.
i cant condone that and i do find it strange that others do and ive expressed that with some vivid analergies

DeletedUser22650

but in a game where colonizing is an option and the world winners win by building wonders is it ok to attack ppl? is it ok to conquer them? or is that immoral? we do things because we can, viv should take it as a compliment imo and again, if it bothers anyone that much that they're bolted then do something about it, he's too far? then there in lays the challenge

DeletedUser37948

i suppose emotions can bring out the best and the worst in people i have a temper i work hard to control it slips sometimes like yesterday with sirlion and its not something i enjoy when it does
so i can sympathise with a person who loses there temper and bolts some one when they are about to lose there city and hard work

but coming back at the rim and waging a hate campiagn for days seems a bit sycho to me

still the thread asks what you can do about it and imo the most effective tool to stop this is to make it socialy unecetable and frowned upon, all my posts have been motivated by that end.
though i doubt becoming emotional at the start of this thread did me any favours ive thougherly enjoyed this subject matter and debating it though i think now ive said about as much as can be said

DeletedUser22650

im kamikaze and i actually boast that ive lost more cities in fair combat than every other decent player ive met, the most anyone has had from me if theyve beaten me is a welldone message and i wouldnt dream of bolting anybody ever because its bad for my rep

like i said we do things because we can and bolting is clearly all a sub standard player like that can do, i bet most of the ppl in this thread are the same, would WE do it? no. can we understand why the little pest guy is doing it? yup

so it pretty much is or would be socially unacceptable for a proper player, but to get the servers rolling we need to have prey players aswell, its not surprising that ppl without teeth will spit at you

DeletedUser46395

The problem you have is that nobody else seems to think it is socially unacceptable - in fact quite the opposite - we're all rooting for the small guy who has no other way to get back, and admire him for his tenacity and the fact that his tactic is actually working. Morality seems to be on his side, TBH - he's doing nothing wrong whatsoever, and on a world without the protection of morale, things are heavily weighted against the small guy and in favour of the heavy gold user at this stage, so any weapon the small guy can use would seem to be fine to me.

I quite understand Queen Viv's annoyance and starting the thread, but frankly tough - it's the nature of the game, and she has to either put up with it or find a way of hitting back - manticores, perhaps?

DeletedUser

I have a similar "problem" a small player that I have farmed is casting bolts at me.

I think it is fine though. Most people try to retaliate somehow when you attack them, bolts might be the only effective way for some players.

DeletedUser10837

has that got anything to do with the fact vivs team has been rimming loads of your alliance or was this totaly impartial and just based on your opinion that if its not against the rules then its ok.

I put forward a reasoned argument for why I think the way I do and it has nothing to do with being on opposite sides in a war. I actually even wrote a story about how I used this approach myself when I was a newbie.

This is a common tactic of yours I note. You don't like someone's argument so you call it invalid because they 'don't play on this server' or 'their team is getting rimmed'.

ad ho·mi·nem
[ad hom-uh-nuhm -nem, ahd‐]
adjective
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.

I don't know whether I should bother to continue to debate with you about this. It seems like a waste of time.

once upon a time it was legal to have slaves to subdigate women and people of diferant races amoungst other less savory things its only people who stand by and aspire to being more morale that change society.

just cause its legal does not make it right!

This is argument is ridiculous and laughable. Bolting someone in a game is comparable to slavery and the subjugation of women? What the ... ?

You talk about right and wrong as though those words have any meaning in a game like Grepolis where people routinely use tactics of meta gaming (forum PnPs, spies, breaking pacts/NAPs, etc) to further their goal but for some reason a perfectly valid game mechanic like bolting someone is 'wrong' and 'dishonourable'.

I just, I don't even...

ETA fininished reading the thread. And now bolting someone is a 'hate campaign'.

You really need to get some perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.