Open Apple vs. the Supreme Court

DeletedUser31385

Recently, the FBI sued Apple for refusing to hand over the password of a suspected terrorist. Apple stated that it's purpose was flawless security, that is why people buy IPhones. The FBI wants a back door in, but Apple refused on the grounds that privacy of millions of Americans is at stake. The Supreme Court ruled that Apple must hand over the passcode, but yet they still refused. Later, the FBI announced that they had cracked the code. Please discuss who you think was in the right/wrong and why.

DeletedUser33530

I don't believe the supreme court ruled on the case actually. Also the FBI didn't crack it some "third party" showed them how to. In addition, the issue at stake was the FBI wanted apple to give them code to allow them unlimited attempts at the iphone's passcode.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
I know Apple was refusing on the grounds of protecting the security of it's consumers but I honestly think that they only said that because it was easy good press. Apple is constantly under scrutiny by consumers because of their use of cheap labor and it is something most of the people buying their products are aware of. So I believe Apple saw a chance to say we won't help the government because we are on the side of the people just to gain some positive PR. Also considering how low the average person's opinion is of the government it doesn't shock me that people saw Apple as the hero in this. All in all it was a brilliant move on their part.

DeletedUser37468

I'm afraid my own personal respect for Apple vanished pretty quickly over this episode

Protecting one's privacy is one thing...absolutely fine, I have no issue with that at all

However...

The gloves come off when the privacy being protected is that of a terrorist or terrorist sect/group

Terrorists give up their privacy the moment that they attack innocent people and/or organisations....terrorists give up ALL rights, not just privacy when they plan attacks and carry out attacks against innocent people

You cannot allow a terrorist to hide behind privacy laws...to do that is essentially handing them permission to kill

And since we in the UK and Europe have taken the brunt of terror attacks in recent years, I'll be damned if I will shed a tear over some terrorist's privacy being intruded upon

No company should stand in the way of national security...end of story

DeletedUser33530

Well apple gave the FBI access to the guys icloud account so it's not like there weren't trying to help. They refused to write the code to bypass their secruity feature not to protect the privacy of a terrorist but to protect the privacy of everyone else. That code could have been used on all iphones. The FBI would have had a field day with that and that field day would end with them being hacked and that code stolen.
Just some prespective, that code would have allowed unlimited tries at your phone's passcode. Im not very good with my coding skills but even i could write a program to brute force my way into an iphone with that code. Your iphones secruity would have been worthless.

Also of course Apple was going for good press but in this case i think they earned it.

Last edited by a moderator: