Are Oil Companies Good Or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Debate: Oil Companies

-We need Oil to maintain all of our technology and survive life in the present age. However how far should we go to attain it?

Are Oil companies good or bad in your opinion?

-How far should we go to attain this black gold?

DeletedUser

There are many true stories to suggest that oil companies are extremely brutal.

Kanga I agree with you on the point that we should use Oil, however I am worried about the boundaries that we should cross to get it.

For example should we be involved in torture, corruption and bribery to just attain Oil?

DeletedUser

I'm fairly positive those things happen in every business branch. Does that mean every company of that branch is bad? No. Oil companies are just like every other company and are in no way bad.

DeletedUser8396

No, they arent bad. It is an absolute NECESSITY. That being said, we should always look for ways to make it more efficient, cleaner, etc. While also looking for alternate resources to accomplish the same goal to make it efficient and cleaner.

DeletedUser

I'm fairly positive those things happen in every business branch. Does that mean every company of that branch is bad? No. Oil companies are just like every other company and are in no way bad.

Corruption? Bribery? Torture?

Oil companies have been found guilty of all of these despicable actions in 3rd World Countries.

Oil companies are ruthless when their profits are compromised. Trust me on this, most businesses do not engage in such criminal activities.

DeletedUser

Hmm, well we are talking currently about the issue whether it is morally right to support Oil Companies, who bribe, torture and are corrupt, to gain huge amounts of profit by pumping oil unethically from 3rd World Countries straight into our cars.

DeletedUser8396

Well, this may sounds a tad harsh, but....

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few.
~Spock, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Leonard Nimoy

As cold hearted as that sounds, it is true. The current mass need for oil is desperate, not only in the US, but in almost every country.

I agree that it is unethical, which is why I also say that we must find alternate ways to replace oil, and try to stop the oil companies from doing corrupt things, but as it stands now...we don't have that luxury to tell them to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.