Best text editor for programming

DeletedUser5

Go on guys, let's debate this one.

What's the best editor to use for programming?

I personally use Notepad++, just because it's the first one I found, and decided to use. I also have a copy of ConText on my laptop, but I know there are a great deal more out there, and there are probably better ones available.

DeletedUser

Gedit, it's the default on Ubuntu Linux and pretty decent.

Komodo Edit is really powerful and cross-platform, (uses XUL Runner, the same lib that powers Firefox/Thunderbird) so it runs on Linux/Windows/Mac OS, has many built in features you'd only find in IDEs (like code completion) and allows you to write macros in Javascript and Python. A bit heavy on my poor ancient laptop tho, so I usually stick to Gedit.

DeletedUser

Back in the days (7-8 years ago) I used only emacs and vim editor for programing. I do not know whether they still exist or not.

Yogesh

DeletedUser

Not only exist, but are still as relevant as ever. And we still see endless, quasi-religious debates between the Vim and Emacs crowds =P

DeletedUser

I really only have used Notepad++ and its great.

I used to use it for solely JavaScript but its now got a built-in FTP client which makes it so easy to create/edit web pages, as once you save the file it automatically uploads it to where you downloaded it from :)

I generally use it to write in Java too and just compile using the command line, I have used a few other editors but I think my familiarity with Notepad++ made the others seem a bit lacking in the basic features that I was so used to.

DeletedUser5

I really only have used Notepad++ and its great.

I used to use it for solely JavaScript but its now got a built-in FTP client which makes it so easy to create/edit web pages, as once you save the file it automatically uploads it to where you downloaded it from :)

I generally use it to write in Java too and just compile using the command line, I have used a few other editors but I think my familiarity with Notepad++ made the others seem a bit lacking in the basic features that I was so used to.

Good to see you join us, Fluffy. I hope you're well.

To be honest, on my course at university, the most widely used editor is Notepad++, as you say, for it's ease of use, and the functionality.

I've yet to find a better editor, but if someone can suggest one, I'm willing to try it.

I didn't know you'd started learning Java ;)

DeletedUser10837

I use Netbeans IDE for php and Javascript. I really like it. It has some nice features like built in ftp, code completion, highlighting, etc. And it's free. I used to use Notepad (not even Notepad++) but Netbeans makes things so much easier.

I sound just like an infomercial, don't I? :p

DeletedUser

i mainly use netbeans, but sometimes when i am on linux (virtual... or on my dieing laptops (or later when i get my resurrected laptop off my dad)) i would use gedit

i blame my university for my use of netbeans... used it last year for java, using it this year for Ruby on Rails, as well as maybe some PhP later it is not as nice as visual studio was in my first year... but i am getting used to its failings/quirks

DeletedUser

SciTE
ive found very adaptive with text format highlighting for a wide range of languages.
stumbled cross this when it was packages up with autoit which was used to automate a windows task.

DeletedUser

Netbeans by far

It gives you a function list if u use PHPDoc
And uploads, SVN, etc

Rarely crashes on Ubuntu 10.10

DeletedUser

notepad++ for html/xml/php and the like, for java i say eclipse pretty much pwns everything :p

DeletedUser

vim, got used to it just because it's so convenient when you need to make little changes from command line. have had some good experiences with SciTE and TextMate but old habits die hard plus I use two laptops, one mac, one dual boot win xp/fedora and TextMate is not cross-platform so..

DeletedUser

Notepad++ for most things..
LINQPad is also a pretty cool tool to test functions and SQL logic

DeletedUser

Depends on what I am doing. If I am doing real programming, it's in Visual Studio 2010 (I'm a C# programmer). If I am coding javascript/php/classic asp/etc, I will either use VS 2010 (great for debugging javascript now), or failing that, Notepad++.

Last edited by a moderator: