Biremes-Triremes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

hello.i would like to point out an intresting fact that i think the game can be improved.Why are biremes faster then triremes?!Bireme=2 pairs of oars.Trireme=3 pairs of oars.:supermad:Triremes are faster and lighter than biremes!

To support my thoughts i got this article from this webpage:http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/marine/articles/72868.aspx

look what it says:Triremes

Later on biremes were modified to make triremes, which was a kind of upgraded version, much lighter in weight and having less cargo carrying capacity. Both biremes and triremes were oar-powered ships. However, the trireme was known for its extraordinary speed. They also had a narrow hull and an outrigger which was wider than that of the biremes. Some of the triremes had great propulsive power, which was a result of around 170 oarsmen arranged in three tiers along the sides of the vessel. Everything about the trireme was light weight. The hull was made thin, and so were the keel and transverse. This enabled triremes to attain a speed of seven knots just with the sail and nine knots along with the oars.

As triremes were made mainly as war ships, their construction included a bronze ram that extended from the keel below the water line. The ram was used to pierce the hulls of enemy warships. Apart from this, triremes also had bowmen and spearmen on board in case they were attacked. Triremes were supposed to be the most advanced ships using naval technology at that time.

Speed and mobility were the forte for triremes and for this reason they were built low to the ground, to ensure that the oarsmen reached the water easily with their oars. The lowest row of oarsmen was just 18 inches above the water line. As a result, many researchers believed that the triremes were not meant for open seas mainly because of their reduced weight. In case they were used for open seas, the rowing port holes were protected with leather bags to prevent sea water from coming inside the ship, especially during rough seas. Moreover, as most of the space on board was occupied by the three rows of oarsmen, triremes had less space for the storage of food and cargo. This was also one of the reasons it was used mainly for shorter voyages.

i wish grepolis you guys post something about this because triremes are almost useless in the game

DeletedUser

Alot of the game is different from real life, please remember it is ONLY a game. There are alot of aspects that they had to change to suit the game and playability, else you might find that the game is really out of balance. You shouldn't take it so seriously.

Also, check out the Acropolis part of the forums, thats where discussions about the game take place.

DeletedUser

what a nerd- if you were in my ocean i would eat you just for all that nerdy research

DeletedUser1405

Oh dear! another buff.

Its a game bud, enjoy and you build your Triremes when you send them to take a village watch for the rowing boats coming over the horizon to take your empty harbour. :D

DeletedUser8467

Alot of the game is different from real life, please remember it is ONLY a game. There are alot of aspects that they had to change to suit the game and playability, else you might find that the game is really out of balance. You shouldn't take it so seriously.

Also, check out the Acropolis part of the forums, thats where discussions about the game take place.

Why didnt someone tell me this was only a game....... iv been getting tribal tattoo's all over me, and have even started to wear armour in prep for my battle's..............Now i feel like a dam fool :p

But seriously its just a game, iv never come across Harpies in RL..........or maybe i have and im just not willing to share that info with you all Mwaaaa

DeletedUser2413

This old thread has been posted in the wrong section, as well as improperly formatted for an idea... The original poster of the thread has been inactive near two months.

Not to mention this has strayed a little bit off the original topic, so I will hereby close this thread. If anyone would like to reformat this in the right section (even though I highly doubt that it will be enacted) feel free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.