Passed Blockade feature

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

There's one weapon that can always break a blockade...

ArchimedesMirrorBig_article.jpg

So there should be some way to research Archimedes Mirror.

No?

DeletedUser

Archimedes mirror was disproven by mythbusters first of all, so of courssse it never existed lol.

if someone would pick up my thread and improve on it i would appreciate it more than everyone running around in circles and just putting in their 2 cents or disagreeing. I appreciate all of the helpful suggestions where you have given the solution with your suggestion. However, I am currently just tired of working on this by myself and not getting anywhere.

DeletedUser

Regardless of what Adam & Jamie say....

According to Roman writers who chronicled the life of Archimedes, the mathematician was a devoted subject of Hiero ii, ruler of Syracuse, and spent part of his career designing and building weapons to defend Syracuse -- catapults, pulley hoists and levers for disabling enemy ships and siege towers. The ancient historians Polybius, Plutarch and Pliny the Elder all mention such inventions, although none was alive in Archimedes' lifetime. Some Greco-Roman historians also assert that during the Roman siege of Syracuse from 214 to 212 B.C., at the height of the Second Punic War, Archimedes used bronze mirrors to focus sunlight on Roman ships and set them on fire.

Maybe just being able to hire archimedes to assist would be useful.

Unfortunately, I am unable to contribute more to the discussion than 2c as I have never played this before, but I am enjoying it and the forum.

I'll shut up now.

:)

DeletedUser

I like the idea because its realistic in history, but i don't see the point of it from the blockaders point of view. what would you gain by blockading a city? if you can attack the city from sea then it would be reasonable to blockade, but unless the player under siege is doing some serious sea trading there would be no point in blockading.

DeletedUser

Moved to development discussions. 1 week before a poll is added.

Please ensure that the first post containts the most up-to-date information about the idea.

DeletedUser

One issue I have with this is that land bases catapults never had an effect on a blockading navy. At the Battle of Syracus they tried this and it failed. Infact they tried to use flaming artilary that cause not damade to the blockading fleet and cause multiple fire in Syracus.

The only way to break a blockade in this time was over land or with a superior fleet.

DeletedUser

Perhaps something that uses Greek Fire could be used for defense, for example a wall upgrade that fires large arrows engulfed with Greek Fire.

Dunno if anyone would want it, but here's a bit of history on Incendiary Weapons in Ancient Times.

Incendiary and flaming weapons were used in warfare for centuries prior to the invention of Greek fire, including a number of sulphur-, petroleum- and bitumen-based mixtures.[4][5] Incendiary arrows and pots containing combustible substances were used as early as the 9th century BC by the Assyrians, and were extensively used in the Greco-Roman world as well. Furthermore, Thucydides mentions the use of tubed flamethrowers in the siege of Delium in 424 BC.

As for the attacker, maybe he could get 10-15% of the blockaded City's Resource income PER DAY of the blockade.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Also since the blockader controll the sea and no trade can get in (already decided) what happens to the trade vesels that etempt maybe theres chance they can just sneak in and deliver some, maybe theres chance they get blown to bits and maybe theres chance that the blockader get the reasources from trade. (main idea) And if you have got a god couldn't they help you in your time to need so you can use divine powers to attack the blockaders. Zues- lightning bolt. Posidon- (best at this) Wirlpool and Great Wave. Hera- Unseen coral Athena- Copper plating (ships get extra hp)

DeletedUser

Please have this voted on now sdjx, I would like to see something like this implemented immediately since the naval aspect of the game is completely flawed at this current point in time

DeletedUser

Glad to see someone already put this idea forward, was something I was just discussing with an alliance member.

Things I would mention/add,

Support could still be sent by sea but would have to win combat as per normal if someone were attacking a polis (blockading ships acting as defense against supporting ships).

Also, rather than introduce a new unit or such to defeat blockades, introduce a new element to the city walls that would have some form of effectiveness against blockades. Perhaps even being able to fill your wall with stone in a similar manner to caves that combats blockades to a degree?

Those ships can't stay there forever, the crew would eventually starve to death without fresh supplies at some point so perhaps decrease in morale would grow over time until the blockade was lifted also would prevent permanent blockades.

Just a few thoughts, otherwise in general this would be a great idea to see added in the future.

DeletedUser

Voting over. I will submit this idea to the devlopers and return with feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.