Blocking the Grepolis Bot's !

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Hi,
I wonder how fellow Grepolis Players view cheating by others who are using a Grepolis Bot to automate their account. These software automated 'players' can be used to control an account to precisely synchronise attacks, snipe enemy attacks, protect resources and so on. Mentioning no names, but its annoying when you carefully analyse somebodys playing style, deduce their online times, and then every time you attack during their probable away-time you find their resources are minimised with one resource at 0 (but not the others), and their troops are always able to dodge or snipe. They don't answer messages until their predicted online time, and their behaviour is of course completely different during their predicted online times !

There is an obvious solution to the problem, ie. present the user with a CAPTCHA code (one of those 6 digit visual recognition codes) once a day when they appear to be active (eg. submitting troop builds etc.), and if they consistantly fail to recognise it (eg. 10 fails in succession) then ban them for 24 hours but leave their cities open to attack.

Would other players find this an acceptable but irritating compromise to get rid of bot users. I'm not aware of any
other technical solution, but would be interested to read of any ! The reason I mention this is because I have seen
other games ruined by bot-users, as it can eventually become impossible to compete unless you give in to the lure of the bot !!!

I like Grepolis, so don't want that to happen here !

Thoughts ?
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hi,
I wonder how fellow Grepolis Players view cheating by others who are using a Grepolis Bot to automate their account. These software automated 'players' can be used to control an account to precisely synchronise attacks, snipe enemy attacks, protect resources and so on. Mentioning no names, but its annoying when you carefully analyse somebodys playing style, deduce their online times, and then every time you attack during their probable away-time you find their resources are minimised with one resource at 0 (but not the others), and their troops are always able to dodge or snipe. They don't answer messages until their predicted online time, and their behaviour is of course completely different during their predicted online times !

There is an obvious solution to the problem, ie. present the user with a CAPTCHA code (one of those 6 digit visual recognition codes) once a day when they appear to be active (eg. submitting troop builds etc.), and if they consistantly fail to recognise it (eg. 10 fails in succession) then ban them for 24 hours but leave their cities open to attack.

Would other players find this an acceptable but irritating compromise to get rid of bot users. I'm not aware of any
other technical solution, but would be interested to read of any ! The reason I mention this is because I have seen
other games ruined by bot-users, as it can eventually become impossible to compete unless you give in to the lure of the bot !!!

I like Grepolis, so don't want that to happen here !

Thoughts ?
:rolleyes:

Try the ideas section mate :)

DeletedUser

Make sure you also use the format stickied at the top. I'll take a look a bit later.

DeletedUser

Hi Eclipse,

I think we need a more general solution, hence the idea thread.
Its not always clear cut if somebody is using a bot, the mods may not be able to prove it, and the player may only use it intermittantly (ie. not when its being discussed in this forum !), so some kind of ingame challenge system would provide a verifiable, fair, and non-labour intensive method of dealing with the problem.
(and also avoids the problem with temp. bans which prevent the banned player being attacked !)

Seriously, this could really damage grepolis if it takes hold, and if it does it will grow exponentially as everyone will think its their only way to compete.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hi Eclipse,

I think we need a more general solution, hence the idea thread.
Its not always clear cut if somebody is using a bot, the mods may not be able to prove it, and the player may only use it intermittently.

I have to agree, a non labor intensive method such as this would be the best way to address this problem. There are a great number of peeps that are using the bots.

SmartCat.jpg

DeletedUser

Yep, I just found a web site with nearly 100 thankyou messages to the bot developer. Multiply that by several times to include those who dont comment, and there are at least several dozen bot users per grepolis server. Probably many of those players who are "brilliant" at sniping enemy attacks with just a couple of seconds to spare !!!

Its a shame because it devalues genuine skill.

DeletedUser909

There is already a system in place to catch illegal scripts. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.