Bringing back the Reputation System

Should the reputation system be brought back?

• Yes, bring back the rep system as it was before.

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Yes, bring back the rep system but leave out the steroids.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Yes, bring back the rep system but leave out neg rep.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No, we don't need a reputation system.

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

I like the rep system.

But i chose to bring it back but without the steroids.
Why? because you used to be able to get too much rep to easily. If getting a whole lot of rep bars becomes hard. Then there won't be mass repping and de repping phases. Boy does that bring back some memories....

Anyway Rep is a good way to keep a lot of forum activity. Some call it spam. Some call it just having fun.

I call it a more active community xD

DeletedUser2795

I acknowledge your point Gibbowo, but they provided no specific way that it would work if they 'leave out the steroids', and if I do not know what I am voting for, I do not vote for it, so it makes little sense to vote for 'eave out the steroids' unless an explanation is provided, which it was not, and then if they suddenly add an explanation, then that might make some people want to change a vote, which would mean a revote.

DeletedUser

I acknowledge your point Gibbowo, but they provided no specific way that it would work if they 'leave out the steroids', and if I do not know what I am voting for, I do not vote for it, so it makes little sense to vote for 'eave out the steroids' unless an explanation is provided, which it was not, and then if they suddenly add an explanation, then that might make some people want to change a vote, which would mean a revote.

I agree, the options to vote need to be explained abit more.

DeletedUser5

I have many thoughts on the reputation system, and was one of the few that was completely against it in its original form.

The original reputation system that we had in place was too high powered, with people being able to give one or two reputation bars in one go. This lead to people going on repping sprees and de-repping sprees, when they had a friend that they wanted to reach the top rep, or when they found someone that they thought it would be fun to get to the bottom reputation level.

Reputation however, is something that I think this forum should have. It can be a useful tool, if implemented in the correct way, helping new forum members know who to trust, and who to potentially ignore when it comes to advice and help on the forums.

Personally, I think that there are far better systems out there as far as reputation systems go. There are some that take into account several different things, and work out a point score from all of these things, so that one thing cannot change it too much. Others take a look at the previous posts by you, and if you're a spammer, with lots of very short posts, you will have a lower reputation score than someone with fewer long posts. None of these systems are without flaws, and if we are going to have a system, we will need to make do with what we have.

If I am going to see the original reputation system come back to the forums, I expect it to have less of a power crazy side to it. Each reputation boost/lowering should be worth one reputation point, rather than the 50-200 points it was worth previously. This along with having the limits for each bar of reputation at the same distance as before, should mean that less players are reaching the high levels quickly. Everyone should earn their reputation, not get their friends to give it to them, and if the repping power is lower, it will take longer for people to rep their friends to high levels.

DeletedUser2795

yes, but put that in a nice, more specific and detailed explanation and put it as an option to vote, I might vote for it, but 'leaving out the steroids' id very, very vague and therefore I did not vote for it

DeletedUser2795

the intention was clear but sometimes good intentions are not necessarily good results. I want to see the details of what would happen before I vote for something of dubious quality

DeletedUser

Well, I would like to see rep actually, I wasn't on the forums by the time rep was actually working. Maybe giving players a choice to include rep on their profiles or not?

DeletedUser

I don't think there was much wrong with the old system. I would add that if it is brought back, rep should not be anonymous, especially neg rep.

DeletedUser2795

so perhaps there should a new thread with a few clear options for this because now it is becoming hard to tell what everything is and means and new, different possibilities constantly pop up! Here is what I suggest:
-first, there is just a vote on should there be a rep system AT ALL or should there not be one.
-second, we brainstorm ideas and discuss them for how the rep system would work (if people vote for having a rep system)
-third, we finalize the possibilities and there is a vote on how the rep system would work
-the chosen system gets implemented.

DeletedUser5

If we were to come up with new ideas, someone would have to either find a reputation system that fits this (unlikely). Alternatively, someone would have to make the reputation system, which is possible, but not easy.

DeletedUser

If I were to come up with a reputation system, I would model it in the following manner:

The amount of rep 1 player can give depends on their rep. The number of rep bars can exceed 10 and say go up to 20. Although the additional bars might not be possible.

1 bar = 5 rep points
2 bars = 10 rep points
3 bars = 15 rep points
4 bars = 20 rep points
5 bars = 25 rep points
6 bars = 30 rep points
7 bars = 35 rep points
8 bars = 40 rep points
9 bars = 45 rep points
10 bars = 50 rep points

After 10 bars, the amount of additional points that can be given reduces to only 1 additional point per additional bar, so that

11 bars = 51 rep points
etc...
20 bars = 60 rep points

I would make it so that 1 player can give reputation a certain number of times each day depending on their # of posts, but there would be a cap.

< 100 posts = 1 time
100-250 = 2 times
251-500 = 3 times
501-1000 = 4 times
> 1000 = 5 times

Negative Rep:

1 bar = -3 rep points
2 bars = -6 rep points
3 bars = -9 rep points
4 bars = -12 rep points
5 bars = -15 rep points
6 bars = -18 rep points
7 bars = -21 rep points
8 bars = -23 rep points
9 bars = -24 rep points
10 bars = -27 rep points
11-20 bars = -30 rep points

The system before was kind of overpowered. This is just my ideal system and only a suggestion. Don't know how easy it would be to code for this stuff.

DeletedUser

If I were to come up with a reputation system, I would model it in the following manner:

The amount of rep 1 player can give depends on their rep. The number of rep bars can exceed 10 and say go up to 20. Although the additional bars might not be possible.

1 bar = 5 rep points
2 bars = 10 rep points
3 bars = 15 rep points
4 bars = 20 rep points
5 bars = 25 rep points
6 bars = 30 rep points
7 bars = 35 rep points
8 bars = 40 rep points
9 bars = 45 rep points
10 bars = 50 rep points

After 10 bars, the amount of additional points that can be given reduces to only 1 additional point per additional bar, so that

11 bars = 51 rep points
etc...
20 bars = 60 rep points

I would make it so that 1 player can give reputation a certain number of times each day depending on their # of posts, but there would be a cap.

< 100 posts = 1 time
100-250 = 2 times
251-500 = 3 times
501-1000 = 4 times
> 1000 = 5 times

Negative Rep:

1 bar = -3 rep points
2 bars = -6 rep points
3 bars = -9 rep points
4 bars = -12 rep points
5 bars = -15 rep points
6 bars = -18 rep points
7 bars = -21 rep points
8 bars = -23 rep points
9 bars = -24 rep points
10 bars = -27 rep points
11-20 bars = -30 rep points

The system before was kind of overpowered. This is just my ideal system and only a suggestion. Don't know how easy it would be to code for this stuff.

Yes the coding would be difficult but that system is complicated but would be better then the old system

DeletedUser2795

If we were to come up with new ideas, someone would have to either find a reputation system that fits this (unlikely). Alternatively, someone would have to make the reputation system, which is possible, but not easy.

In that case, then what are the available reputation systems, I understand coding difficulties, so in that case, what is there that is already coded/is easily implemented?

DeletedUser

I liked the old rep too, but Some sort of rep system would be better. I mean rep per post count isn't great because Aicy himself got about 1500 posts by spaming off topic, and I couldn't bear tyroncs either :/

Anmolr

Phrourach
I had very less reputation far back, When i started getting reputation, the reputation system was removed.

I had 400 posts, I started spamming in a thread. Mods deleted the thread.

How unlucky I Am!

DeletedUser

On another forum I'm on they have a rank system that depends on rep, time registered and posts:

6894693182.png

It starts off with only the staff being able to assign rep, then when you reach all requirements you can give rep yourself.

The higher the rank of the repper, the more rep points you receive/lose. This system includes bad rep and I believe things such as bans and infractions give negative rep too.

However, forum rules were updated to include the rep. Any spiteful and unjust repping/derepping and asking for rep could result in infractions and then ultimately neg rep.

As the rank increases you receive little forum rewards.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2795

get rid of the days you have been around and I am fine with it.

DeletedUser

Agree with JKP. but I think everyone should be allowed rep a little at the start.

DeletedUser

I believe everyone starts off with some. But it can be lost and you can be demoted, thus losing your rank privileges.

I can't remember. I'm on 89 total rep with rep given 7 times. Only about half signed it so I didn't know what amounts I got each time, it only indicates whether positive or negative.

The system still has the 'must rep 20 different people or wait X days before repping the same person again' in place too. This helps prevent mass repping by the same people.

Don't know if that's a standard thing with vBulletin? (This system comes from a vBulletin based board)

Last edited by a moderator: