Cancelling Vacation Mode

DeletedUser23649

The Wiki says you cancel vacation mode by logging in..... and nothing more
There is nothing else to do? No buttons to press, no confirmation dialog to respond to?
How do I then check how many days is left on my VM?

I wouldn't want to have it expire without my knowing when.
It would make sense to me if after you logged on a dialog box pops up warning you that you are in VM, and listing how much longer you have before it expires. The ending VM by clicking a confirmation box.

I assume there is some safeguard to prevent accidentally turning it off ??

DeletedUser

When you try to login another screen will be shown before you actually login to the game. The screen will show how many days you have left on your VM as well as an option to buy more if you require it.

DeletedUser23649

Thanks!
OK, that makes sense, but what's worded here is confusing:
http://wiki.en.grepolis.com/wiki/Vacation_Mode
Someone should clear it up.

Lastly, I understand there is a 24 hour waiting period after you end VM.
During that 24 hours are you able to interact with your worlds at all?
Or am i mis-reading that as well?

DeletedUser

After you cancel VM you play like normally. Do you mean the initial 24 hours that VM first goes active?

Post in the Wiki section of the Forums so Tyrion can fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

you can end vm AFTER 72 hours after you start it. It takes 2 days to go into vm and another 24 hours after it kicks in before you can end it.

During the 72 hours there is no way you can cancel vm. After the 72 hours you just log in as normal and it will ask you if your sure you want to end vm. if you select yes then your vm is cancelled and you play as normal.

DeletedUser

I really don't understand why the VM is set up that way. Can anyone explain it to me? I see how a player could take advantage of VM once it is activated, so I understand the 24 hour minimum. And I understand why there is a waiting period needed. What I don't understand is how a player could take advantage of the waiting period, itself. If someone starts the waiting period (which, as I understand it, only limits the players own activity) and then finds out plans have changed and they won't be needing VM, why should they not be allowed to cancel the VM, as long as it hasn't been activated yet?

DeletedUser

Because you could endlessly cycle VM on and off and abuse it.

Example: A player activates VM and cancels is just before the first 48 hours, and then immediately activates it once again. This could effectively give the player a very quick "exit strategy" if they came under attack, since by cycling the VM on/off without actually getting locked out means the player can hide in VM almost as soon as attacks start, which means attackers would find it almost impossible to conquer a city if the defender was abusing it in such a way.

I hope that made sense, it was a bit tough to explain. I can try to clarify further if need be.

DeletedUser

I guess I still don't get it. I am not understanding how a player could play the game endlessly in the VM waiting period because you can't attack from any of your cities. And I'm not sure how you could time it 48 hours ahead to go in right when an attack hits you. Maybe there is an element of this I am not understanding but I just can't see why it would benefit a player to do that.

Also, you could still "charge" players a vacation day every time they activated it to persuade players not to overuse it. I'm fine with losing a vacation day over it, but it seems like, if you are marketing an online game, it serves you best for people to be able to play it when they want to play it.

DeletedUser

He wasn't saying time it for 48 hours. The idea your posting suggests being able to exit whenever and activate whenever. So an attack could be 4 minutes out etc-and you go into vm then come straight out afterwards. VM will never (hopefully) be something you have t pay for because many people would quit worlds if they were going on holidays and didnt wish to spend money.

DeletedUser

Yeah, being able to play whenever you want is great but Grepolis isn't that kind of game by nature. It runs 24/7 yet provides VM as an option for people to go away for extended periods of time, whether it is a holiday or a family crisis. It is meant to be used for those reasons and more but not to hide from attacks. VM won't be long enough for everyone but it will suit most people and their situations; you can't have people sitting idle for 100+ days.

I'll try to illustrate what I meant by using an example.

Player A is abusing the VM mechanic, which can be cancelled any time during the 48 hour period. Player A constantly activates VM and then cancels at about 40-46 hours, then immediately reactivates it after he cancels it.

He doesn't necessarily time it to dodge an attack, but let's say an alliance wants to take his city while he is cycling activating/cancelling VM. Let's say his current VM cycle is at the 24 hour mark when an alliance decides to launch attacks at him to conquer his city; the alliance has 24 hours to complete the conquest. If he was at the 30+ hour mark it would almost be impossible to take the city, etc. By constantly cycling VM the player can dodge attempts like that, although it still uses a luck factor it is still very easily abused because Player A can jump into VM quicker than you would be able to currently, since he uses it preemptively. He can still play effectively by doing this, because he can deactivate it when he wants to take a city and just use City Festivals or Olympic Games to generate CP or occasionally come out to go on a killing spree after building up all his population, then going back to hiding in VM.

DeletedUser

Okay, I see it now. Thank you for taking the time to explain. I have always had a hard time grasping how anyone could have any fun by cheating, and I think that was getting in my way.