China Recession?

DeletedUser31385

Shanghai Composite Index lost 307 points today (6.42%) and closed at 4478.
5 day change is -644 points or 12.57%
This does look like a Chinese recession. On both Thursday and Friday it dropped more than 3%.
What do you think?

DeletedUser8396

I think dips are natural in an economy and that we'll need longer than a few days to determine whether its a recession or simply the economy running it's natural course.

DeletedUser

I think dips are natural in an economy and that we'll need longer than a few days to determine whether its a recession or simply the economy running it's natural course.

Recession in itself is a natural part of economy. Can't keep going up forever, something not a lot of people seem to realise. But yeah, it's much too soon to open a topic about a Chinese recession. Not saying you can't be right long-term, figtree. Just too soon to say that now.

DeletedUser31385

If you look at an overview of the stock, it increases sharply and then goes down suddenly.

DeletedUser33530

Shanghai Composite Index lost 307 points today (6.42%) and closed at 4478.
5 day change is -644 points or 12.57%
This does look like a Chinese recession. On both Thursday and Friday it dropped more than 3%.
What do you think?

see i feel like those numbers should concern me but i have absolutely no clue what any of this means.

DeletedUser

Recession in itself is a natural part of economy. Can't keep going up forever, something not a lot of people seem to realise.
Mainly because it's not in the interests of governments to tell you things can get worse as well as better!

DeletedUser31385

Most Europe markets closed higher today. US markets finished 0.6% lower due to fears of the Greece financial crisis. Btw China did a one and a half hour halt in trading.

Here is Shanghai History:

2r2ovuu.png

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Most Europe markets closed higher today. US markets finished 0.6% lower due to fears of the Greece financial crisis. Btw China did a one and a half hour halt in trading.
lol closing .6% lower means absolutely nothing. Anything <2% is pretty normal for daily fluctuations.

And lol, no, there is no Chinese recession. Disregarding the fact that it's only called a recession after a couple of successive quarters of losing a large percentage, although generally a country's GDP is used, SHCOMP isn't even in bad shape. Yeah it has been oing down relatively quickly but it's probably just restabilizing after the insane growth it's been experiencing over the past few months.
e9ddd0361e.png

It could drop another 1000 points and not be in trouble. :p

DeletedUser31385

What really scared me was the Dow Jones losing 600 points in 4 minutes on 5/6/10. Then the recession was over. Most people right now are talking about a global recession by 2016. China is slowing down, the US is slowing down, and Europe is having trouble.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

What really scared me was the Dow Jones losing 600 points in 4 minutes on 5/6/10. Then the recession was over. Most people right now are talking about a global recession by 2016. China is slowing down, the US is slowing down, and Europe is having trouble.

I think you shouldn't worry so much, mate. After every recession, there's a period of prosperity (re-adjusting expectations, if you will).

Skullyhoofd: it's officially after two consecutive quarters of shrinking.

(By the way, being Dutch, 'Skullyhoofd' is such a weird thing to say!)

DeletedUser49358

In all honesty recession is just a recycling period for an economy, the U.S. recently went through a recession with higher gas prices and higher prices on groceries like bread, milk, eggs ect... but it was very short lived. Ask most American's about the recession and its an afterthought to them now as just a period where things cost more and more thought had to be put into what you purchased.

I agree with Skully thought, China is in no way shape or form in a bad situation right now especially compared to the years of substantial growth its economy has had.

DeletedUser

In all honesty recession is just a recycling period for an economy, the U.S. recently went through a recession with higher gas prices and higher prices on groceries like bread, milk, eggs ect... but it was very short lived. Ask most American's about the recession and its an afterthought to them now as just a period where things cost more and more thought had to be put into what you purchased.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call the credit crunch an afterthought. But I do agree it's never everlasting, and going by signals I'm picking up in my line of work, people are willing to spend money again (following messages about the economy improving, because that's how it works!).

DeletedUser

The Chinese Meltdown is still awhile away, but give it a few more decades and they'll all be old. That's when the fire nation will strike.