City averages

DeletedUser

I picked up something from a old mate who used to play, he would set personal goals to keep himself interested. I started doing this. I have 2 currently, 1st is to get into and maintain a top 100 spot, second is to get top 12 Attackers. (you can tell from my awards when I started these goals)
these 2 relate as I build my cities with a lowish average so I am able to build decent attacks the way I like them. So my average is usually about 10,500 ( I try lower but doesn't happen) but when I look at the ranks I see averages of 11,000; 12,000; and even 13,000. Surely it is common knowledge that the less spent on buildings = more to spend on troops. So why do people insist on high city points/averages? that is my question.

Richard

Strategos
I know from experience that a lot of players in war zones dont touch their cities once they conquer them, simply because they need to start churning troops out, and they pretty much always wont get them to max population before they use them.

Simmers sim, so they often have maxed out cities.

I use specific builds, and my cities (not currently, working on that) are usually around 10'500. Core production building for the build (barracks/habour) at a reasonably high level to speed up rebuilds. Other buildings which aren't necessary are maintained at medium to low levels (eg. Temple at level 15)

DeletedUser

I always mess around with my cities when I take them. build them so they can only throw out one thing, it's a good back up because it means that if I should lose a city then I know exactly what the conquerer will have to be building. But if you look at ranks, roughly 10 out of 12 players on your page will have a 11k+ average, like points mean absolutely everything to them. I admire people in the top 100 with an average of 10,000 cause it isn't easy to do.

Richard

Strategos
No you're right, when I took over my current account it slipped way down the rankings as I demolished it to fit my needs. Im still doing it now, tbh... You just dont get enough juice out of a maxed city, and that is coming from an average player :D

DeletedUser

you don't get enough, but I always spike up when I take a city then slip back down because I'm always fixing them lmao. Still a bit annoying that people seem to be obsessed with high averages though.

I worked out that I would have over 1 million points if I maxed out all my cities, putting me in the top 50 players :S how bad is that?

DeletedUser

The only cities I have maxed out are the ones I have conquered... Other than that, I build all of my temples to high levels, and as shan suggested, I have 30 harbor/barracks on any naval/troop oriented city...

One of the main things I have been working on (In Theta) is taking over an entire island. Missing 3 spots currently.

Also, I don't see the use of having anything other than Defensive tower/thermal baths. But then again I conquer in clusters, so lighthouses don't do me any good, only throws off my attack times.

I am happy being ranked in the 70's. No point in maxing out my cities when I could have more troops without... ABP is where it's at anyways.

DeletedUser

I agree cities should be kept low. However in my instance in 45 where I have Anarchy all around me I have all my harbors at 20 so I can send a cs from any of them and if I have troops hen barracks are maxed along with temples and walls and tower, I put my parlet place pretty high as well as I am always trading so my cities are usually at 11.5

DeletedUser3635

I was more concerned with the effectiveness of my cities when I had less of them. At this point though, when I take a city, I check the Academy and make sure the proper things are researched. I could probably have 5 or 6 more cities if I didn't have to reset so many things when I take a players city. They are usually pretty ugly. I also hate when I take a city and conquest isn't researched.

Step 2 is to make sure the buildings pumping out the units I want are built high enough to pump them out quickly.

Step 3, I kill walls in my offensive cities in case I need to dodge and return troops.

I did experiment in a few cities to see how many LS's I can pump out at the fastest rate possible. Seems about 285 is a pretty good bar to set.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to find divers with a 280+ nuke the other day. My most extreme still stays at 279 only.

I also mess a bit around with cities after taking them, but what I do all depends on the neighborhood and not so much on my particular build. Builds may or may not change over time to suit my regional ambitions.

DeletedUser

My biggest LS nuke is 305 :)
305LSnuke.png
I think the last time I worked it out I had an extra 220 pop space per city on average for 3k less pts per city.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Personally, I like having maxed cities because it makes me feel superior. Sure, you have less population to spend on troops and attacking/defending forces, but who are you going to attack? A 9k player? or a 13k player? If you've been here long enough (and I'm sure lots of you have) then you'll attack the 13k player knowing that they have a pretty obvious amount of troops. However lots of new people, would attack the 9k player, thinking that they are weaker. This is a misguided view, as you know, but that's what goes through the minds of newbs.

tl;dr a 13k city looks stronger, therefore people choose them to intimidate opponents.

DeletedUser

I would welcome the attacks of anybody with such views anyway. Free bps, but unfortunately it doesn't happen to often.

300+ LS in one city? That sounds way to extreme to my liking. One key factor to being a top dog in this game is to make sure your festivals are running. Maxed resource building and a decent marketplace is key to that. I would rather have two cities with 260+ LS nukes than one with 300+. The former is what you get by doing things a bit more balanced:)

DeletedUser3635

Lol, well enga has the luxury of being online nearly all day every day, and he puts the effort in to farm like crazy and make sure his markets are set up to pump out a 250 LS nuke in about 5-7 days.

The 285 nuke is about the best I can get without hurting LS production speed. Though I could drop the senate a bit as well but I kept it about half up to max.

DeletedUser

Well, you guys managed to catch me offline last night. So much to myth that enga got no life. I was getting properly drunk on quality Calvados while your clears were pounding into my cities. Good job from Themba though. He made sure I had no local forces to strike back with. And with roman still on vac mode by the time I was a bit isolated to put down the understatement of the year:)

cheers,
enga

DeletedUser

I admire people in the top 100 with an average of 10,000 cause it isn't easy to do.

There's only one person in the top 100 who has an average below the 10,000.

Just curious, what levels are your buildings such as the warehouse, the ressources, temple, city wall, market?

And for example, if i have a bireme city. I max out my harbor to replace the losses faster and diminish the building time, but what level are your barracks then?

DeletedUser

There's only one person in the top 100 who has an average below the 10,000.

Just curious, what levels are your buildings such as the warehouse, the ressources, temple, city wall, market?

And for example, if i have a bireme city. I max out my harbor to replace the losses faster and diminish the building time, but what level are your barracks then?

Technically, you can get rid of your barracks in a bireme city. Warehouses don't use resource spaces, so keep that maxed. Also, a wall isn't really too necessary in bireme/LS/offensive troop cities, especially in a world with 12 hrs sieges: you're really just giving your enemy an advantage once they're in your city, but it will hurt you the most in the offensive troop cities. One good thing about having maxed walls and tower is that your militia can take out a fair amount of troops, so you get free BP essentially. I've found that markets around 20 are good for me, 10k in resources is a good number to be able to be shuffled around at any given moment. I try to keep resources maxed, but I'll look and see what the positive production rates are on an island, so that my end rates are some what even with each other.

DeletedUser1405

I dont understand why people max out any of their cities, personally it is annoying when you take a city and find that you have to make massive changes to make it suit. Watch your rankings jump up and down when you are demolishing and rebuilding.
It also makes it look like your being attacked as you get the negative points in the relative section.
Its all good fun but maxing a city out doesnt mean you can play the game.

DeletedUser

Well, it is a game, and one that doesn't have too many objectives in the first place. Just like life in general. You make what you want out of it. For some that is about maxing their points, for others it is about being that plug up the rear end of SE to make sure the balloon is bursting one of these lovely days:)

cheers

DeletedUser

300+ LS in one city? That sounds way to extreme to my liking. One key factor to being a top dog in this game is to make sure your festivals are running. Maxed resource building and a decent marketplace is key to that. I would rather have two cities with 260+ LS nukes than one with 300+. The former is what you get by doing things a bit more balanced:)
Considering that my average sized LS nuke is over 260 it doesn't matter if I have one that's 300 as it doesn't affect the others. I also only started running festivals a few months after I got the city. I hated the thought of running them and being a simmer, lol (I hold a different view of them now which is good). I have also dedicated a city to supplying the LS nuke with wood, 38k wood per day (without happiness) :)

DeletedUser

I always mess around with my cities when I take them. build them so they can only throw out one thing, it's a good back up because it means that if I should lose a city then I know exactly what the conquerer will have to be building. But if you look at ranks, roughly 10 out of 12 players on your page will have a 11k+ average, like points mean absolutely everything to them. I admire people in the top 100 with an average of 10,000 cause it isn't easy to do.

if u have 50+ cities you will know how tough it is