City Festivals - a warning

DeletedUser

I threw a City Festival for the first time today--Victory Processions being the preferred method of celebration among my citizens, and I was deeply concerned by what happened and am wondering if you've found similar occurances in your cities. Please advise and share!

First of all, only 5 citizens attended, scaring everyone else away presumably, as they flailed about in drug-induced mania. A girl in a revealing yellow dress kept swinging herself back and forth outside the Agora, while off to the right two men stood still, starring into each other's eyes, while flapping their arms about as if trying half-heartedly to fly. On the left, was a man in black who simply head banged for 12 hours straight!

I'm sorry to tell my neighboring cities that I will not be throwing anymore City Festivals after this disturbing event, therefore only Victory Processions here on out. My citizens clearly are not mature enough to handle themselves with these kind of things.

DeletedUser

well given your size it looks like you'll be staying fairly small for quite some time to come so i doubt the world has much to be concerned about!

DeletedUser

Interesting, I didn't say or imply that the world has anything to be concerned about, just that I won't be hosting anymore City Festivals because of the creepy arm-flailers. You're pretty grumpy for no reason, are you getting your period?

DeletedUser

i like the idea of doing only victory possessions and at times of constant incoming attacks i used to be fine with doing just that. now that its hard to come by city slots i have no choice but to celebrate my city. have u tried being intoxicated urself while watching the creepy arm-flailers? it makes me turn into the girl with the yellow dress ;)

DeletedUser

Haha, no I haven't, I'll remember to try it. I agree that once you're pretty big City Festivals probably become essential to growth. Right now I'm too little to really appreciate them; my resources can be better allocated.

DeletedUser

shame your all the way over in 27 schoonergirl I reckon we could have had some fun being piratey together :p

DeletedUser

I threw a City Festival for the first time today--Victory Processions being the preferred method of celebration among my citizens, and I was deeply concerned by what happened and am wondering if you've found similar occurances in your cities. Please advise and share!

First of all, only 5 citizens attended, scaring everyone else away presumably, as they flailed about in drug-induced mania. A girl in a revealing yellow dress kept swinging herself back and forth outside the Agora, while off to the right two men stood still, starring into each other's eyes, while flapping their arms about as if trying half-heartedly to fly. On the left, was a man in black who simply head banged for 12 hours straight!

I'm sorry to tell my neighboring cities that I will not be throwing anymore City Festivals after this disturbing event, therefore only Victory Processions here on out. My citizens clearly are not mature enough to handle themselves with these kind of things.

+rep great post lol

DeletedUser6029

I agree, festivals aren't really worth while when your small.

DeletedUser

I almost never ran festivals, I had only done about 5 festivals before I reached 35 city slots, up until then it was all Victory Processions. I used to think everyone that ran them were simmers. Since then I have started running them and now I do them everyday in most of my cities.

DeletedUser

haha i knew u would come through and and tell us ur story. ;)
u used to be crazy about that whole i dont do city festivals and i dont do olympic games. lol u even knew how many city festivals someone ran based on their BPs lol

DeletedUser

I couldn't do Olympic games anyway, I don't use gold. Btw, You've run 1103 festivals +/- a few for spending on the academy :p

DeletedUser

yeah so as i just told u, i spent a lot more on fixing and tearing down academies than a normal grepo player would ;)
but thanks for figuring that one out lol

DeletedUser

Schoonergirl,

City festivals do tend to attract some of the less desirable elements, I'm afraid.

I have tried to implement simple ticketing and licensing procedures, but unfortunately those same undesirables have found myriad ways to circumvent these.

I have considered building a security fence and employing the City Guard to check tickets at the entrances. However, the planning application is still sitting with the Senate and a decision has not yet been forthcoming.

One other strategy that may be worth employing is for specially trained counsellors to go into the Academy and speak to the students there about the potential hazards of festival attendance. No-one wants to be a kill-joy, but there are things that everyone can do to make City Festivals a fun - but safe - time.

Also, perhaps a more appropriate venue for festivals would be the spare land below the City Wall, adjacent to the Timber Camp. This would allow the gate to serve as a ticket checkpoint and allow for a more controlled access and egress policy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

My philosophy is simple. If I can't keep my troops busy plundering and pillaging SE cities, I better let them get drunk at home and have some fun waiting for the next raid. Thing is that you shouldn't let them grow fat and lazy. Keep'em moving and make sure your barracks and harbor at all times have work to do. That way there is no room for drunkardness;-)

cheers,
chief drunkard enga

DeletedUser

Lol, brilliant! :p

DeletedUser

Great piece of writing

Loved the read, keep it up
:)

DeletedUser19523

you know, now that you mention it, it sounds farmilliar to me too.... that reminds me! during the theater plays, if you watch them, they are just like festivals.... i will not be having very many more because they make me laugh too hard.