colonizing on the same island I'm already on

DeletedUser

This may not be the place to ask this but I am new here to the forums. If this is not the right place, I apologize.

I'd like to know why I have to have colony ships to colonize a new city on the SAME ISLAND I'm already on??? This seems ridiculous and I am VERY disappointed with this aspect of the game.

Recently, most of the inactive cities on my island were wiped away leaving most of the island empty, There is a location right next to me!

Why can't I go over land to set up a new city on the same island I'm on?????

DeletedUser

Perhaps it could be submitted as an idea, although i think the reasoning for Naval only colonisation was to encourage players to expand.

DeletedUser15240

yea, a lot of experienced players won't conquer on the same island as their on because of the farming disadvantage and such

Thrillology

Phrourach
Curly... those pictures scare me.

I ALWAYS PRESS EVERY SPOILER BUTTON I SEE! EVEN MY OWN!

But yeah... colonizing on other islands that have farms is the best.

DeletedUser

Well, I'm not the most experienced player here but there are farms on my island that I can use and that would be something people would do in real life so I can't see why I can't do it here. If people don't want to bother with it, they wouldn't have to if they chose not to.

I'm just really frustrated that I have to spend so much time before getting to a level where I can build the right type of ship and finally go start another town right next door. My troops could walk there and back 100 times before I get to the level where I can send a ship WAY OVER next door, and I still have to send ground troops anyway (wth ?????) from what I've been reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's be serious people. I'm really wondering if this free on-line "game" is really worth wasting my time on since everything takes forever even as I move my town up in stature. The higher I go the less time things are suppose to take. I'd like to see just how few seconds I gain with every Senate/building level. I log on, set two buildings (if I'm lucky) to upgrade and log off until the next day. Gee, what fun. Yeah I know, I don't have to play. It's just that this sure is a lot like watching grass grow.

DeletedUser

That's where wars and player-player interaction comes in. You don't have to spend all your time building and queuing, once you have a good base it's time to strike out and make an impact on the Grepolis World you play in :)

DeletedUser

This may not be the place to ask this but I am new here to the forums. If this is not the right place, I apologize.

I'd like to know why I have to have colony ships to colonize a new city on the SAME ISLAND I'm already on??? This seems ridiculous and I am VERY disappointed with this aspect of the game.

Recently, most of the inactive cities on my island were wiped away leaving most of the island empty, There is a location right next to me!

Why can't I go over land to set up a new city on the same island I'm on?????

1. The farming villages are dedicated to each player, so if you have 2 cities the resources from FV will split between those 2 cities thus slowing down both of them

2. In order to establish a new city there are so many "materials" needed that ground troops cannot carry, therefore boats are needed (Colony Ship)

DeletedUser

That's where wars and player-player interaction comes in. You don't have to spend all your time building and queuing, once you have a good base it's time to strike out and make an impact on the Grepolis World you play in :)

ONCE I have a good base!?!?! Whenever that happens. And if I don't spend time building, I don't ever get to where I can do anything else, SO right now I do have to just build because that's all I can do. And wait. And wait. and...

I don't know anyone else on here. I have talked with the only other person left on my island and joined his one person alliance (all others went ghost & gone) but he's on the other side of the world in real life so our talk time is out of sync and relegated to msg's.
I tend to get bored very easy and I've quit many other games long before this point because it's always the same ol' thing or you have to wait so long to get to a point where you can do anything else that I lose interest before that happens. What ever happened to games where you could just log on and start going off on adventures to collect things from the get-go or gain points just as fast as you wanted by staying online as long as you wanted and going on another assignment/battle/quest, etc? That and just competing with opponents w/o all the mining/building and waiting.
Other then the one other city on my island, the only other cities in my surrounding area/other islands are all WAY bigger then me (in points anyway) and I would be rather foolish to try to wage war on anyone at this point. And personally if I had a choice, I'd rather play something where I go fight with others in co-operation on some adventure then just sit & watch a city grow one building/level at a time just so I could go off and start another city and start the whole 'watching grass grow' thing again. Geez, sounds like I'm talking myself out of this game all together.
Does any of the battle situations happen real time or is that also where you set something in motion, log off and read about the results when you log back in the next day?

Join an alliance, get some freinds, interact, etc.

Joined one (small one with the only other guy on my island but nothing happening there as the other guy is not much bigger/farther then I am), most of my friends don't play computer games (i'm probably older then probably 90% of the players here), and how the frell do I interact, with something that takes forever to build up a city far enough to where you can anything else other then build??

1. The farming villages are dedicated to each player, so if you have 2 cities the resources from FV will split between those 2 cities thus slowing down both of them

2. In order to establish a new city there are so many "materials" needed that ground troops cannot carry, therefore boats are needed (Colony Ship)

OK on #1. I can see that, however I have not conquered all the farms on my island yet and I could go after the others with my second city until I have all 8 farms (only have 5 now) to split between the 2 cities.

If the world was not all islands, and not all locations were on the coast, ships would not be needed and people would still start somewhere w/o ships. If all supplies could not be obtained from the area of the new city (on site as my city is doing right now), it would just take more time, more people to get started.
I think ships should only be needed if I want to start on a new island where I can't send ground troops or where I want the option to get started quicker if I'm starting way over on the other side of the same island and don't want to wait for ground troops to carry everything (which seems stupid since I started this first city the way people would start any new city in real life & at that point in history). If I want to start a new city right next door, I should be able to just walk there and start farming/mining/digging/cutting/etc and building like I did with this first city (not counting that the basics were given to me to get started).

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Vipermike, we aren't here to tell you how to play. We've told you how to spice it up a little but it's awfully hard to help someone when he just gripes. Perhaps if you mail one of the bigger players in-game they might be able to help you find some action - but you have joined a speed 1 world, and it sounds like you have joined on the rim. We can't work miracles here and if you aren't willing to listen to what is said, or to put in effort yourself instead of expecting others to make it exciting for you....then you can't expect much.

As for your gripe about colonising next door...the whole point of this game is to expand an empire based on ancient Greek methods - And they had islands and ships. If you are really unhappy with the layout then perhaps you should try another game.

If you wanna give Grepolis a shot then i strongly suggest you do not colonise next door to yourself. When you have two cities on the same isle then the possible resources collected from farms goes to one, or the other. You don't get to use the farms twice (once for each city). It is wiser that if you feel you MUST colonise, you do it on another isle - this way you can get more resources.

I am not an advocate for colonising though, i personally believe that conquest is a better way to go about it. Perhaps you could try conquering one of those many inactive people around you - or you could go wildcat and attempt to take the active guy, that would make for more action - and close to home which seems to be what you are after.

DeletedUser

Thanks Thrill, but do try and keep on topic. I'm still watching y'know :O

DeletedUser

There's always your local library.
I heard people learn a lot in those places.