Copyright?

DeletedUser

My question is plain and simple. Why is it that nearly all alliances have their description copyright'd and some trademarked? Who the hell gave them the rights to do so?

It just makes them look like someone who just think they're better than they really are..

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Basically, it's because a lot of the alliances in Byzantium are made of noobs, with some exceptions of course.

DeletedUser21770

To add to what Owen said, it's to ensure that, if a random player decides to use an alliance's exact name/profile (with minor alterations in the name of course) then the original alliance can have the in-game moderators deal with it appropriately. Without that, you could potentially have 5 or 6 alliances with identical profiles.

DeletedUser

As far as I'm aware, in game mods cannot dictate what alliances have on their profile.

The fact that some alliances have a silly copyright but is irrelevant.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

DeletedUser

But really.. Why would a real alliance even copy someone else's text? Who even gave them the rights to use trademark and copyright? Just because they wrote it first, doesn't mean its theirs, since they didn't pay for the trademark

DeletedUser

Trust me, it doesn't happen so much in other worlds. It seems to be most common here.

DeletedUser21770

owen, my guess is as good as yours. I was guessing there.

Xenti, a lot of the time it's actually not a serious copyright. If you look at Spirit of 45, they make a joke at the end of their copyright claim.

You needn't take the copyright as seriously as you appear to be.

DeletedUser

igm can say what you have on your profiles if they break any rules or guides for the world.

As far as I know there is no specific rule against copying another alliances profile or images.

DeletedUser

As a IGM I am not aware of any rule that stops you posting the same as another alliance, I have seen it done in the past to confuse the enemy. Its a war tactic more than anything.

DeletedUser

Copyright and trademark are legal terms that apply to each country and their laws, although there is significant reciprocity throughout the eu, usa, and japan.
but we are the interwebs
and we do what we want
so steal away!!
(till we get successfully sued in our own country :p)