Beginner copyrighted materials

DeletedUser

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this subject. I just finished reading Announcement: Forum Rules and it clearly states:

"Do not use copyrighted materials of any kind in your posts"

Of any kind? Without exaggeration, that would include 99% of the signatures & avatars in these forums. What is the exception? If we manipulate copyright material, does it then become acceptable?

I have no issue creating my own, however I do have some images I would love to manipulate into my signature.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

To be perfectly honest with you, short of ripping someones work that they have made for themselves, or a friend, etc., working with copyrighted material and melding it into your own work isn't frowned upon. Simply put, it's similar to fan drawings of games, all it does is bring a positive light to whatever you are working with.

DeletedUser909

If it is copyrighted, it usually clearly states so somewhere. Along with an admonishment to not use those materials.

DeletedUser

Thank you for the answers, I have been messing around in Illustrator & now I feel more comfortable for what I am about to post! =D

DeletedUser

Also, if you do have concern, there are many free stock image sites that grant free usage of pictures. Some might say that the images cannot be used commercially, but using it here, is not commercial. The advantages of this way is that you are not infringing in any copyright at all, and many offer hi-res images (ie. 5000x3000 px).