Create a "Stop Attack" feature in Battle Resolution

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser7557

I like this idea cause when i attack someone i can can my mind anywhere from 1-5min from when i sent the attack and i forget that they have troops there and all my troops die. It would help me tremendusly.

DeletedUser

I still don't like this, I don't like it when I'm defender, I don't like it when I'm attacker:

As defender: Someone attacks me with lets say 50% loss stop, I am able to defend from it, but I don't like it, because I would have easily beaten him up even without it. Then, he just rebuilds and attacks again, which is making me annoyed, because rebuilding is faster when you still have troops left.

As attacker: I attack all cities for bp without spying. If one of them is stacked, who cares. I just rebuild my offense from half way and I attack again, turtle dead.

This idea would completely destroy the idea of stacking troops to city in the same time, so troops don't die one by one. I just don't like this idea...

DeletedUser2795

Yeah! Go Beta. I definitely stand for this idea.Its not 50/50 anymore. All the arguments on the cons side have been overturned numerous times yet you guys are still debating over it. As sandman said, your arguments are unrealistic.

I leave on vacation a few days and suddenly "All the arguments on the cons side have been overturned numerous times yet you guys are still debating over it. As sandman said, your arguments are unrealistic." nah, I could say just the opposite with just as much justification

DeletedUser

I know my arguments on this discussion were lazy and crass but this discussion does seem to be a little stunted and proving no benifit to either side. Therefore to get this back on track I will list my views below.

The following was written by sandman in the initial suggestions.
my words are in bold

Proposal:
INTRODUCTION -
Under the current rule system, all battles are resolved by (more or less) calculating how many casualties are created by the losing side before the losing side is completely destroyed. In other words, there is always a side that is completely destroyed. Sometimes both sides are destroyed or one side is left with an insignificant number of survivors. However, as a General, I might want to withdraw an attack if I am suffering too many casualties rather than take the chance that I could still win. As a potential target city, I know that I would prefer a cautious attack vs. a bold attack in hopes that the attacker would withdraw before finding out if he would win.

IDEA -
To create an input field in the "Battle" system where the attacker enters how many casualties (in terms of percentage) he will accept before he leaves the field. If he leaves the default percentage of 100%, then the battle is resolved as always. But if the attacker enters 50%, then regardless of who is actually stronger, the attacker automatically retreats and his attacking force suffers 50% loss (based on the attacker's TOTAL land force, rather than based on just the attacking land force).

Reasons for Change:
1) It allows for more variations in combat outcome (including outcomes where both sides suffer partial loss).
Variation is already provided by morale, luck, god powers etc
2) It allows a player to attack with a large land force without risking the entire force, especially if the attacker doesn't know much about the city but still wants to be active with his army.
This game is based on the fact the player is almost unknowing of possible outcomes hence this would take away from the games feel.
3) Simulates actual battlefield decision making more realistically by allowing for retreat under heavy casualties. An immediate cut off point of x% would be unrealistic as this does not happen in real life due to influences and in Rl what would stop the defender pursueing causing more casualties?
4) It reduces downtime needed to rebuild forces when both sides suffer mutual destruction.
As both sides always have the same time to rebuild i do not see the benifit of this and if you would want a faster rebuild time then you would play a faster world.
5) Bold attackers can still attack as always by not changing the default "stop loss" factor.
This would lead to the entire spy system being almost defunt.

I also notice that you are completely ignoring the navy in this situation which if your aim with realism, completely contradicts the point in the origonal suggestion hence this should be re-addressed by yourself

IMO.

If this would be put in place it would inhibit other aspects of the game from evolving due to time this takes to impliment. I would much rather have other ideas introduced and glitches fixed than this idea be implimented.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser441

If people do use this idea wouldn't this make wisdom useless since you won't know the excat force they will use to fight?

DeletedUser

Which would then have to be addressed creating a domino effect and therefore a stream of 500 errors. Which apparently is what happens on online games like this; one change has a knock on effect on lots of things.

@Eclipse - I dont remember having an off-topic comment, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2795

ouchy, if this causes errors and technical problems as well as the problems with game play, then that will be bad for everyone

DeletedUser

I still like this idea...

I still like this idea. It is true that it is a little confusing, but not any more with the 50%, 75%, and 100%.

DeletedUser

Sorry I double posted...

I know my arguments on this discussion were lazy and crass but this discussion does seem to be a little stunted and proving no benifit to either side. Therefore to get this back on track I will list my views below.

The following was written by sandman in the initial suggestions.
Sakaturou's words are in bold Mine are italic and underlined.

Proposal:
INTRODUCTION -
Under the current rule system, all battles are resolved by (more or less) calculating how many casualties are created by the losing side before the losing side is completely destroyed. In other words, there is always a side that is completely destroyed. Sometimes both sides are destroyed or one side is left with an insignificant number of survivors. However, as a General, I might want to withdraw an attack if I am suffering too many casualties rather than take the chance that I could still win. As a potential target city, I know that I would prefer a cautious attack vs. a bold attack in hopes that the attacker would withdraw before finding out if he would win.

IDEA -
To create an input field in the "Battle" system where the attacker enters how many casualties (in terms of percentage) he will accept before he leaves the field. If he leaves the default percentage of 100%, then the battle is resolved as always. But if the attacker enters 50%, then regardless of who is actually stronger, the attacker automatically retreats and his attacking force suffers 50% loss (based on the attacker's TOTAL land force, rather than based on just the attacking land force).

Reasons for Change:
1) It allows for more variations in combat outcome (including outcomes where both sides suffer partial loss).
Variation is already provided by morale, luck, god powers etc
Isn't Lord Sandman meaning that this will create more variation?
2) It allows a player to attack with a large land force without risking the entire force, especially if the attacker doesn't know much about the city but still wants to be active with his army.
This game is based on the fact the player is almost unknowing of possible outcomes hence this would take away from the games feel.
No, actually, it wouldn't take away the game's feel, it would only add to it by making it more realistic.
3) Simulates actual battlefield decision making more realistically by allowing for retreat under heavy casualties. An immediate cut off point of x% would be unrealistic as this does not happen in real life due to influences and in Rl what would stop the defender pursueing causing more casualties?
I thought that there was only three choices, 50%, 75%, 100%.
4) It reduces downtime needed to rebuild forces when both sides suffer mutual destruction.
As both sides always have the same time to rebuild i do not see the benifit of this and if you would want a faster rebuild time then you would play a faster world.
The benefit is that both cities can start running again, faster, while everything else remains unaffected.
5) Bold attackers can still attack as always by not changing the default "stop loss" factor.
This would lead to the entire spy system being almost defunt.
@ Sakatorou, I don't realize how that would stop the spy system from working.Also, like Sandman said @ JKP3nt, if you want to spy, go spy. No ones stopping you, except the silver in your opponent's cave.

I also notice that you are completely ignoring the navy in this situation which if your aim with realism, completely contradicts the point in the original suggestion hence this should be re-addressed by yourself
It's realistic, because while ships cost more than army, a general would more likely sacrifice all his ships to bring his troops to land than sacrifice all his troops in a land fight.

IMO.
Uhhhh...

If this would be put in place it would inhibit other aspects of the game from evolving due to time this takes to impliment. I would much rather have other ideas introduced and glitches fixed than this idea be implimented.
That's not a good excuse for things that should be done and have not been done.

I decided to add my argument to this thread to ramp it up.

Forever,
Lilith26

Besides

DeletedUser

The voting period has ended. The vote has not passed.

Idea will be archived.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.