Open Daily Quickfire Debates!

DeletedUser

Hello, everyone!

First of all, my apologies for the rocky time this section has had, we are working on new ways to get user involvement and feedback. I have not been posting many debates as I simply don't know what you guys want, and that's part of the reason why we're starting this new thread! :)

Allow me to explain - every day, a viewpoint, famous quote, etc. will be posted by either myself or fingolfin. You then have 24 hours to discuss as much as you want before we move on to a new one! Successful debates will be used as springboards for new debate threads. Sound good? I hope so! :p

So, without further ado, here's a viewpoint. Discuss! :3
"Children are better off in life knowing about death, than having it hidden from them."

Liam

DeletedUser

Children shouldn't have to know about death, at a young age. They shouldn't have to worry about someone dying, they should be able to live a care-free childhood, without being hampered by the ever constant threat of death. Childhood is meant to be the happiest time of your life, with no bills, or money problems to worry about, rather than being scared of having to go to funerals and the like.

DeletedUser

Children shouldn't have to know about death, at a young age. They shouldn't have to worry about someone dying, they should be able to live a care-free childhood, without being hampered by the ever constant threat of death. Childhood is meant to be the happiest time of your life, with no bills, or money problems to worry about, rather than being scared of having to go to funerals and the like.
I knew about death and other things you've never believe I knew at the age of 8 and on, but I guess I must be special :D.

And on topic, kids shouldn't know these things, they haven't developed a full knowledge yet. Childhood is the best time of your life, nothing to worry about (other than the torture of school), I feel that childhood s the time to just have fun, and not worry about death, because it is unlikely that children will die at a young age, so they don't need to know about death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varun

Strategos
Ok. I share a different perspective. A child should know about death, but in a milder way. A child should not know about death like what effect does it have in your life and whatnot. Those things aren't for that age. But a child should know that every person who lives has to die and therefore they should live properly without regrets. This will instil the quality of not wasting one's life into them since childhood is the most impressionable age of humans.

DeletedUser

Ok. I share a different perspective. A child should know about death, but in a milder way. A child should not know about death like what effect does it have in your life and whatnot. Those things aren't for that age. But a child should know that every person who lives has to die and therefore they should live properly without regrets. This will instil the quality of not wasting one's life into them since childhood is the most impressionable age of humans.

Well, the children aren't dumb, I think they know people die :p I never knew a child that though humans have eternal life :p

Sorry to be rude, just sharing my viewpoint :)

DeletedUser11965

I know people died since I was 3 years old ._. you ask where your great grandpa went and they reply, a flower field.

DeletedUser

A child is better off knowing about death from the very beginning. By knowing about death, the shock of it happening will be milder, generally less confusing. Although, most young children can not comprehend death, as a result it is rather futile to try to explain it to them until they are older.

DeletedUser

Okay, topic shift!

"Media culture is damaging the free thought of today's youth."

DeletedUser11965

Really? I don't think so..well maybe BBC News, Fox, and all those useless news channels are

DeletedUser

It's a perspective for you to discuss, it's not necessarily fact. :)

DeletedUser

I would have to agree with that idea. The media is all about putting a Politically correct spin on what is happening. Pushing a Social Agenda. That is to be expected in a way, every person is biased, but it would at least help if the media would try and limit what it is doing to spin the news in a certain way.

DeletedUser

But to what extent? Do they watch news of a terrorist attack, and want to go and become a suicide bomber? Or do they just watch the news, read the papers, etc. and just pick up on little things?

DeletedUser

Next!

GM crops - 'playing God' or helping to feed the masses?

DeletedUser

Helping feed the masses, but there is the ever present threat of it going wrong.

DeletedUser

GM crops are more susceptible to diseases as their genetics are similar so the disease only has to learn how to infect one to know how to infect the others so it could backfire.

DeletedUser

Strike four!

Do religions need to modernise to retain their status in the world, and is it acceptable to change a religion out of convenience?