Open Daylight Savings Time: Is it really worth it?

• Thread starter DeletedUser31385
  • Start date

DeletedUser31385

Is Daylight Savings Time really worth doing? Numerous studies have been conducted over the years that have argued for and against Daylight Savings Time. What do you think on this issue?

DeletedUser31385

My opinion on this...

Honestly, I don't see a need to have Daylight Savings Time anymore. The original theory was that if there was more light in the evening in the summertime, then people would go outside and use less man made lighting. In this day and age, people have much more technology and appliances that run and draw energy constantly. If it is hot in the summer, which is the case most of the time, then people will stay indoors and use air conditioning as well as man made light. This defeats the purpose of having the Daylight Savings Time. The adjusting of the clock also causes problems as it messes with people's sleep cycles. Studies have shown that this causes an increase in car accidents and heart attacks. Those are all reasons why I feel the world should just do away with the Daylight Savings Time.

DeletedUser54161

Hmmmm @figtree2
I think we are reading different "Studies"
However, as you know, the Earth is not a circular object, but more of a... "Soccer ball with a few bumps on it"
With that in mind, the 24 hour cycle that was call a "day" is not entirely accurate,.. more like 23.93 hours
That being said, it is necessary to "adjust" the time in order to account for this difference.
While it certainly does "Mess with people's sleep cycles", and "Cause car accidents and heart attacks", it is a necessary burden that we undergo each year to maintain a relative sense of normalcy with regards to the earth's rotation

DeletedUser31385

There are many areas in the world that do not follow the daylight savings time and they are just fine. If you look at both time changes in the year... +1 hr and -1hr... It equals 0 total hours so it has no effect.

DeletedUser54161

I apologize I did not continue my thought with regards to my last posting
While every year it is a debate whether or not we should still observer daylight savings time, I do think it is helpful
As it gets darker for many parts of the world, shifting the clocks back(Losing an hour) allows for a "lighter" day the following morning and night.
While it is not that big of a difference, one of the issues I take with DSTime is the fact that not all nations, even those that are on the same and neighboring timelines do not "Turn their clocks back" at the same time of the day, which adds to the confusion