Definition of an MRA

DeletedUser

In eta Fate did not begin as an MRA, and will never become one. We have killed several and helped kill more. :D
On the definition: any alliance that has an open recruiting policy with no number limit, and which tolerates members who are either inactive or city-building colonisers.
MRA's are always good targets! Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

In eta Fate did not begin as an MRA, and will never become one. We have killed several and helped kill more. :D
On the definition: any alliance that has an open recruiting policy with no number limit, and which tolerates members who are either inactive or city-building colonisers.
MRA's are always good targets! Happy Hunting!

As stated earlier here, I can have 1000 members in my alliance, but as long as I interview all of the members carefully and make sure that they meet standards, I would not be an MRA. So, lack of a number limit does not mean I am an mra.

DeletedUser

As stated earlier here, I can have 1000 members in my alliance, but as long as I interview all of the members carefully and make sure that they meet standards, I would not be an MRA. So, lack of a number limit does not mean I am an mra.

If you were anywhere near Fate, we would cheerfully test those standards of yours :D

DeletedUser

Some people seem to forget that there was a day you where ALL NOOBS!!!!
I don't see this as an insult...
You have to start somewhere + people make mistakes... If you're perfect, please let me know! I believe that would make you a narcissist (as in: 'I'm so pretty... I love me...watching your 'oh so pretty' face in the mirror...) pff
And, even alliances that recruit a lot - they are probably seen as MRA's - might just have a lot of people looking for players in their oceans and they do know how to use GREPOSTATS and write a message to see how the player answers (using common psychology...).

Oh, and please check this thread:
http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?t=13605

Isn't it pathetic... Admitting one of your FOUNDERS was recruited by a so-called MRA..? ahahahaha LMAO!!!!! Seriously...
This gives 2 outcomes:
1. This alliance is not an MRA in the meaning of the word, but recruits a lot of good players.... = MRA? Well, then it's an MRA I'm glad to be a part of...
2. I made my point, so I leave this one open for comment, plz, as a noob... TEACH ME!!!!!
yes... ;)

To 'The Left Spartans' Alliance:
In real life I'm not such a jerk as I am in this game, so if you send me your address I'll send you over some tissues...

No hard feelings eh?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Agreed. And if you have 1000 members you van have several leaders dividing the work. And in any alliance you can regurly kick out those who have been too long inactive.

In Nu (just began) several people brand all beginning top-12 alliances as MRA, that are bound to go downwards somewhere in the future. They might be right at that. But many of these top-12 alliances do have localised cores, which conflicts the MRA/MIRA definition. I dare not predict their long-term survival.

DeletedUser8969

it's easy to tell if an alliance is a mra. if you post on the forum calling them a mra they will get all huffy and claim they are not a mra. if they ignore you then they are not a mra.

DeletedUser

Well what about an Alliance that mass recruits then weaves out the weak from the strong to create an elite alliance.
Mass recruiting can be effective if used correctly.

As far as MRA definition from my point of view.
Its an alliance that will take anyone at anytime, cluttred unorganized, mostly inactive, and dillusional to thinking theyre strong. When really its all just bulk.

DeletedUser1405

Well what about an Alliance that mass recruits then weaves out the weak from the strong to create an elite alliance.
Mass recruiting can be effective if used correctly.

As far as MRA definition from my point of view.
Its an alliance that will take anyone at anytime, cluttred unorganized, mostly inactive, and dillusional to thinking theyre strong. When really its all just bulk.

I agree completely with this, very simple and to the point, the original idea of this post was to get people talking about MRA,s and the fact that they have worked in several worlds and can work if run properly.
This being said isnt it about time the term MRA was lost and another term found as i personally still think it isnt relevant to this game.
Do people agree that their is to much of jumping on the bandwaggon with this, im geting people that are brand new to the game sending me messages quoting these terms and when asked what it means they never respond.

DeletedUser

Regardless of whether people find that the term MRA should be used to refer to alliance which recruit in large numbers indiscriminately, it still doesn't change the reasons that people have for frowning upon large alliances, which is part of what makes "MRA" a popular term.

There is no way in which are 200 player alliance can have the same bond and cooperation between all players as one with 30 players. When you're part of such a big alliances, you are just a tiny part of a big blob, which makes them seem quite impersonal. 200 people cannot sensible discuss alliance activities or properly coordinate joint activities. If there are many good an active players, it's a strong unity, but still one without any face.

I hate the fact that while a lot of exciting wars could be going on in an area early in the game, many of the top ranked players just join a single alliance, meaning that it just becomes a boring stand-still of taking out inactives and beating on the smaller players. If alliances just keep recruiting their way through the oceans, instead of fighting their way and growing normally, they really loose some of their meaning.

I think that big alliances are more accepted the older a world becomes, for several reasons:

1) It's hard for a small group of players to do anything significant on their own. With everyone having hundreds of biremes and level 25 city walls, a group of 10 people would be unlikely to take down cities of active people with allies in their area.

2) With more players able to fight and focus fully on fighting, it makes sense to have bigger battle fronts. With so many players being able to participate, it makes more sense that bigger units are fighting each other, since any action will be on a large scale, making the conquest of a single city fairly insignificant.

3) Most alliances are quite established if they have had the chance to stay alive for more than three months. This means that they have at least developed some relationships, a sense of personality and a history. These elements create much more of an alliance, and a shared idea of the alliance can more easily be preserved despite ten members leaving one day and ten others joining the other.

DeletedUser

If you play Upsilon, then Total Domination is the definition of a MassRecruitAlliance

DeletedUser1405

So we are all in agreemant on One thing an MRA is an alliance that recruits without thought.
The other thing is people have been saying they research a player before inviting them. All good and proper if they have a history, what if the player is new to the game. Can you afford to risk losing a possible decent player to another alliance.

DeletedUser1405

I know what you are saying but what if its a brand new player to the game?

DeletedUser

I think A MRA will make the exception, An MRA can always find a radonkulos Idea to recruit someone.

DeletedUser14492

What an excellent thread, how refreshing to hear such views on "MRAs"

My alliance on Theta has been ranked 2nd for a long time now (recently dropping to 3rd due to a merge). We have previously destroyed former "elite" alliances that were ranked 2nd and 4th respectively I think (when we were ranked lower and climbing)

Organisation and leadership count for a lot. I accept that we may not be as organised as some elite alliances, but in my experience most of these alliances that think they are elite, in actual fact have no more skill or organisation than we do.

Our priority has always been to have fun, in a relaxed environment. We fight hard play hard I suppose, to coin the phrase. And yes, we do recruite new starts, we give them a friendly welcoming home, train them and give them experience. Every now and then a diamond emerges from the rough :)

I have never understood the preoccupation with "elite" alliances. And equally the amount people throw the term MRA around is just as dissapointing.

One point I would like to make, it is far easier to run and organise an alliance with less than 50 members, than to lead and organise an "MRA" with 100, 200+ members... it takes strong leadership to do that consistantly and successfully to hold things together.

Ev

DeletedUser

it takes strong leadership to do that consistantly and successfully to hold things together.

Which is exactly why most of the time MRAs fail, because they're put together by noobs or newbs with no real inkling of how to lead. All these MRAs fail, which is how the term came to mean "a fail alliance with many players" for many players, even though that's not the actual meaning of the term in my opinion, which is "an alliance with looser standards of recruitment than your average alliance, will generally end up with many players due to such." Still hasn't changed, and I still say Cohort's an MRA Ev, though I don't mean it as an insult like most, I mean it as a fact.

DeletedUser14492

Ooh just noticed this Z...

I have never denied that TC is an MRA if you like to call us that... however we do not send out invites indiscriminantly, we check our recruits history, we ask questions etc and we mentor them. At times we close recruitment depending on circumstances. So its not the free for all usually associated with the MRA tag.

And as I, you and others mention, the term MRA came about to describe noob alliances, with poor leadership, who attempt to recruit anyone and everyone as fast as possible with no thought or strategy... That does not describe TC at all.

Ev

ps, following my above post my "MRA" alliance moved into first place, and remained there for many months until just the other day when we slipped back to 2nd by the odd million points. "MRAs" can work :)

DeletedUser

All you newer players dont run away from an alliance just because of what is written ask questions, check locality and check out member activity, that way you can make your own decisions

I'm a new player reading all these forums just trying to learn and would like to get in w/ a good alliance...how do I check the member activity as you mentioned above? Also, as I research around and see what alliances look like good ones to join for my ocean/area, they don't allow new players in, so how do I get on w/ them if I can't get the #cities/#points required because I keep getting wiped out?