Democratic and Autonomous Alliances

• Thread starter DeletedUser54775
  • Start date

DeletedUser54775

Hello everyone,

I have been playing Grepolis for many years. If you see my activity, you will see that I am often playing the game. I do enjoy it very much. One of the issues that I has troubled me for long time is the way that the game has evolved. We have mega alliances that are run mostly in dictatorial or autocratic ways. Then they engage in NAP for their benefit and essentially many of us are forced to be peaceful against our will.

I was wondering if anyone of you have thoughts of how we can organize more democratic and autonomous alliances. Places where players have more input over the direction of the alliances and their own affairs. I have been in situations where there was a lot of self organization, and i must say that I had the must fun.

I do not like to be under these tyrants who use me as a pawn or a soldier for their own benefit.
Any ideas? Anyone wants to try something in the upcoming worlds?
Can we have an alliance with the rule of the people?

DeletedUser54775

I believe that we can try to follow this beautiful ideal.

DeletedUser54775

Why are you so afraid of democracy and freedom?

DeletedUser36697

Why are you so afraid of democracy and freedom?

You are dictating that this should happen...regardless of what others have said wrt alliance management
you are attempting to change to status quo and gain followers...much like a dictator

DeletedUser54775

You are dictating that this should happen...regardless of what others have said wrt alliance management
you are attempting to change to status quo and gain followers...much like a dictator
Perhaps this is your perception. Let me clarify. The suggestion is that we explore the possibility of creating an alliance where the players themselves make most of the relevant decisions that affect them in the game.

Yes, I agree. I am attempting to change the status quo. We should experiment and try new ways of self government in the alliances. Rather than having these tyrants who NAP all the way to the end of the games.

Rachel.L

Phrourach
@FutbolTango, as has been suggested to you in the 12 other threads where you have covered this topic (both incorrectly and sexistly) ... start an alliance like this yourself, prove it is the way to do things through the actions you have laid out, and stop trying to bully everyone to do it your way

but stop with the propaganda before you get banned

DeletedUser55889

Feel free to start a democracy-based alliance, in the next world that opens up. Everyone's opinions and decisions will be respected. Of course, following democracy, you cannot appoint yourself leader without being chosen as one. So, good luck to that.
If you somehow get voted in power, I wish you all the best wishing and respecting the 'decisions' your trusted council makes. You cannot lie to my face and say you will respect each decision even if you believe and know it's the wrong thing to do. This is why democracy in Grepolis does not work.

I don't understand why you're having such a cry over this. Don't force down your way of thinking onto me and play like you want to. You'll soon realise there are so many here opposed to a 'democratic alliance' because they don't work and win anything.

Leadership is about being commanding, authoritative and listening to suggestions, but in no circumstance be forced to act on such suggestions. The moment you start bending down to the will of the people is the moment your knee bends and you become a slave to your own faithful 'council', and I for one will not follow a weak leader that does not inspire [a reasonable yet acceptable level of] fear and respect.
I do not like to be under these tyrants who use me as a pawn or a soldier for their own benefit.
For a believer of democracy such as yourself, I do not have to tell you that democracy (as well as many other systems) is freedom, and you can exercise your freedom to refuse to follow any orders and demands by simply leaving.

DeletedUser54775

Feel free to start a democracy-based alliance, in the next world that opens up. Everyone's opinions and decisions will be respected. Of course, following democracy, you cannot appoint yourself leader without being chosen as one. So, good luck to that.
If you somehow get voted in power, I wish you all the best wishing and respecting the 'decisions' your trusted council makes. You cannot lie to my face and say you will respect each decision even if you believe and know it's the wrong thing to do. This is why democracy in Grepolis does not work.

I don't understand why you're having such a cry over this. Don't force down your way of thinking onto me and play like you want to. You'll soon realise there are so many here opposed to a 'democratic alliance' because they don't work and win anything.

Leadership is about being commanding, authoritative and listening to suggestions, but in no circumstance be forced to act on such suggestions. The moment you start bending down to the will of the people is the moment your knee bends and you become a slave to your own faithful 'council', and I for one will not follow a weak leader that does not inspire [a reasonable yet acceptable level of] fear and respect.

For a believer of democracy such as yourself, I do not have to tell you that democracy (as well as many other systems) is freedom, and you can exercise your freedom to refuse to follow any orders and demands by simply leaving.
As I mentioned before, Thermopylae was originally ran with a lot of autonomy and democratic principles. It won a world by a complete land slide. Perhaps the most epic win in the history of Grepolis. Thus, we have a precedent that individual freedom and autonomy among players can yield big dividends. I understand that no everyone is into this. Many people feel comfortable following directions from a strong leader.

I am here just asking if anyone have similar ideas and interests. We can try as a political experiment in Grepolis. I have talked to some already, and some have ideas of representative democracy, others have ideas of direct democracy, others have more fluid ideas.

I am just trying to see if there are people interested in running democratic alliances or have ideas in how to organize them.

I do think that we can have enough players who would be interested in having an alliance governed by the players themselves.

1saaa

Strategos
this is a tough thing to say as both have there strengths and weaknesses. experienced leaders especially in MRA's should go for a more dictator like approach.

but i think that using voting is never always bad. i try to do some votes in the alliance forum to judge peoples opinion on stuff and also get input from the general player base.

DeletedUser54775

Yes. This might be something to consider. To have developers to add features that facilitate the running of more democratic alliances.
Making more features available so decisions and votes can be more transparent

Silver Witch

Strategos
Yes. This might be something to consider. To have developers to add features that facilitate the running of more democratic alliances.
Making more features available so decisions and votes can be more transparent

Lol its there mate.

You can use a forum to discuss anything and you can have a vote on any subject you like. The founder can allocate rights to all.

I dont believe democracy is the best way to run an alliance - ive seen lots try and it doesnt work. The issue is that to make alliance decisions you have to understand the world and the vast majority of an alliance have no desire to gain that understanding. I agree with Kal (not sure if its here or elsewhere that he was making this point) that players vote by joining an alliance. If players are concerned about the rights they may or may not have then they should find out more before they join.

Personally I wouldnt join an alliance that was democratic but thats my choice. I listen to what players say when im leading and I'm happy to explain whats happening but its a game, time is limited for all of us and if the decisions are made you can get on with fighting and WINNING!

Pro-Grep

Strategos
FutbolTango, just go ahead and create one of those alliances and find followers. It's not prohibited to create so called democratic alliance.

But thing is that I have seen some so called Democratic alliance, which went in absolute disaster and failure. Of course some players get angry on leadership, when they require some stuff, when they make diplomatic decisions and you might not be able to attack someone nearby, which could be more comfortable for you to attack. But thing is that being good leader, requires really much work, planning and so on. Imagine what could happen if all, let's say 60 players did whatever they wanted and voted for every single detail. Imagine if all had equal rights and no one could remove simmers, non-useful players and so on, since there is democracy.

Overall this is a game and people always compares this game to real life, come out of illusions. Without good leadership no alliance can achieve anything, even if it's full with experienced players. And being good leader means, listening to suggestions from own members, so you can always suggest or show constructive criticism in alliance forums, PM or wherever you like to do.

So instead of blaming good leadership, ( I say again good and not unexperienced leaders who just says "Do it, since I want so" ), we should thank them, because they doing so much work for us and organizing everything for us, just to log in and do some Grepolis stuff. So mate just enjoy the game and obey dictators.

DeletedUser39822

The suggestion is that we explore the possibility of creating an alliance where the players themselves make most of the relevant decisions that affect them in the game.

Leading in grepolis is a second job.

I have done it once or twice and have vowed to never do it again, I want to keep my wife and kids. There are bad leaders and there are good leaders but I respect all in regards to the time and effort they are willing to put in for a job that doesn't really pay that well and for the endless criticism they may receive from the malcontents on the externals. Malcontents who with one simple click of the button can exercise their democratic right of freedom and leave the alliance that oppresses them so........but would rather stay in the alliance and complain. Leaders hate these types of players by the way, they are draining and typically bad for morale.

All democracies are by the people through a system of elected representatives. I elect you to represent the people and fulfill your vision as stated over the course of this thread and the seventeen other threads in the various forums. Be the founding father, create your alliance, and make sure to listen to the wants and needs of your constituents. I hope you are not asking people to do this for you as that would just be lazy and we know that you have a lot of time on your hands.

DeletedUser54313

I tried that democracy and it worked as we were number one
But grepolis players rather dictatorship and that's a fact
Behaviors are similar to greek gods
Always looking to stab the other in the back

DeletedUser52860

Leading in grepolis is a second job.

I have done it once or twice and have vowed to never do it again, I want to keep my wife and kids.

This is so true and one of the reasons i have so much respect for those "dictators" who have ruled alliances to crowns from start to finish. Democratic alliances only work in small groups of trusted players and even then it's completely normal for 1 player (who you may have played several servers with already) to completely loose their melon and ruin the whole thing.

Ruling an alliance by committee generally doesn't work for large recruiting alliances and while it may lead to a potential crown on servers with very small alliance caps they are usually only employed by players who want to play a server for fun with no designs on the end game.