Discussion #4: Vacation Mode

DeletedUser

Is the use of vacation mode to avoid attacks a great tactic or is it a cowardly action that wimps and losers use?

I am on the fence on this one. I have used vacation mode once when I went on . . . vacation.

I have tried to attack people to find out that they have fled to vacation mode to avoid my attack only to come out of vacation mode 3 days later.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser

You should be able to denounce a guy that runs off into VM, and get him banned for a while. What is the point of a war game if you can call "FREEZE" at any time?

Of course, VM does have to exist for proper RL issues/holidays etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

yes because the one thing you want to give that person is more time off.
I have come up against this before (gosss), but also have used VM myself when I was vacationing I find it necessary for that lol.

DeletedUser

Im with Cauthonus on this one. I think its a cheap way out. When we force people to run into VM we always wait until they return.

With that being said, i have activated VM 5 times, all because I was traveling for work or pleasure....never to run from an enemy. Wheres the fun in running?....its just a game!

DeletedUser

Im with Cauthonus on this one. I think its a cheap way out. When we force people to run into VM we always wait until they return.

With that being said, i have activated VM 5 times, all because I was traveling for work or pleasure....never to run from an enemy. Wheres the fun in running?....its just a game!

I believe some of your alliance would not agree with you King. Killwer did it just before we attacked in a few weeks ago. He is gone now I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

(this seems premature since DofW#3 was opened yesterday . . .)

i will have to disagree . . . in Xi we just (couple months ago) started a war with the confeds (me being founder) had a family emergency at exactly the same time . . . it was weird but true story came back 2 weeks later and everything was gone (as in my alliance) sometimes vacation mode is needed even during a war cuz ida been ode mad if i couldnt log on for 2 weeks and lost my cities.

DeletedUser

(this seems premature since DofW#3 was opened yesterday . . .)

i will have to disagree . . . in Xi we just (couple months ago) started a war with the confeds (me being founder) had a family emergency at exactly the same time . . . it was weird but true story came back 2 weeks later and everything was gone (as in my alliance) sometimes vacation mode is needed even during a war cuz ida been ode mad if i couldnt log on for 2 weeks and lost my cities.

The point of the question is are you using it to avoid a fight or are you using it because you need to be away from the game for vacation or something else.

I was in a war when I went into vacation mode but I did not go into vacation mode because I was being attacked. I went into vacation mode becuase I went on vacation.

DeletedUser

killer was quitting before he was attacked and went into VM, he had posted in our forum.

But im sure not everyone agrees with me. I just personally would not do it

DeletedUser

The point of the question is are you using it to avoid a fight or are you using it because you need to be away from the game for vacation or something else.

I was in a war when I went into vacation mode but I did not go into vacation mode because I was being attacked. I went into vacation mode becuase I went on vacation.

yea i guess i forgot to add the rest huh :D shhh it was 4am wen i wrote that :p

well the remaining members of my alliance quit cuz they called me a coward lol and the enemy also called me a coward :D which is funny

but those that do use vacation mode to get outta a bind are ridiculous and should be punished

DeletedUser

I see running into VM as pointless. I have seen loads of players doing it. Thing is when you return from VM you find the alliance who was trying to take your city in the 1st place have surrounded your island. If your on the way out then there is not much you can do about it when that point comes. The best chance for survival is pretend to be a hot girl then the grepo nerds will leave you alone, only problem you will have then is having other dudes chatting you up. :)

DeletedUser

There's VM and VM

Vacation Mode should be for vacation or real life issues. I'd like to applaud the guys from Enigma here. Several months ago, in the midths of hostilities, I sent them a message, basically saying: My mother's cancer has re-surfaced, I'm packing my bags this minute, flying home to be with my family, VM is activated, but of course, you can now take me to the sweepers.
The replies I got were along the lines of: "Go home, best of luck, I hope things work out, no attacks will be launched" Things worked out okay, my family is fine and my mother is as well as she can be, everything considered.
That's what VM is for.
On the other hand, I've dealt with people who'd activate VM when they got attacked and then let it run...out. Those guys don't want to play. They want a screensaver or want to ambush tiny, tiny players.

VM is for Vactions, pleasure or things necessary. Good players will also recognize your personal needs and not just savage you, in my opinion.

DeletedUser

VM... 2 days used in 8 months. :Angry: me not like VM!

What I remember from VM is that FC was starting a new war and right that same day, I had to go in VM for a couple of days because of Rl issues.
During 2 days I had to watch my fellow campers launch attacks, have fun, rack BPs and conquer cities. All I could do was watch 'n support... worst 2 days of my grepolife. To make things even better, my fellow campers teased me about it for days.... I think it cured me about going into VM... even for Xmas :p

:pro:

VM should be only used for RL issues and vacations. People fleeing into VM when being attacked are just postponing the inevitable.... their demise and ousting of the game. :)

DeletedUser

This is a great discussion although very one sided.

The reason I ask is the war we are in right now seems to be mared with players going into vacation mode. Not totally sure if these players are going into vacation mode because they are afraid of us or they really going on vacation. I suspect the former rather than the latter.

DeletedUser

The reason the discussion is one sided is because I don't think this issue could be debated, there is no logical reasoning for the other side other than cowardice. Playing devil's advocate would then simply be silly. Everything people have posted here I agree with, vacation mode is for vacations from the game, not a temporary invincibility shield.

DeletedUser

I have seen the tactic used at least 3 times by members of an alliance that shall not be named and I thought people considered it a valid tactic.

In fact targets are getting hard to come by on the northern border of PE because most of them are on vacation mode in the north.

So I noticed that a number of people say they are against it here but in the game I have ran into a number of people that use Vacation Mode to avoid attacks.

DeletedUser

So here am I, I am unable to connect to the internet for any long period at the moment (I have had to reconnect 3 times to send this message), only really long enough to post on the forums, why should I come off VM now and start losing cities due to inactivity, when I can just wait a few days until I can get somewhere where I can access the interwebs properly.

As I see it there are 2 types of VM users, those who activate it to avoid being attacked in their absence and those who activate it to spite their enemies, the whole point of VM is to not be attacked, activating it because you can't fight back and activating it because you won't be around to fight back are completely different things.

Back ingame soon. :)

DeletedUser

Well said sploggo. If you RL gets in the way of the game and you go into VM that is one thing. If getting attacked is the reason you go into VM then that is totally different.