Discussion: Mythical creatures

DeletedUser

I've finally had the chance to look at all 8 mythical creatures, weighing out pro/con on all levels. Here's what I came up with.

I'm going to post them one god at a time, because it is a lot of damned analysis.

Harpy:

Attack: Blunt. Meh. Good strike, I suppose, versus an arch-heavy defense, or part of a well balanced breakfast mixed bomb.
Defense: forget it. If you're using harpies for defense, you have bigger problems.
Favor Cost: As myth units go, not a bad bang for the buck at 130 for a horseman on steroids that also flies.
Pop Cost: Again, as myth units go, not terrible at 14 apiece for a bomb unit.
Rez Cost: Hate that silver bite, but it does dovetail nicely with your sling bombs.
Time cost: Very quick as a myth unit, and even pretty quick as non-myths go.
Speed: Excellent. Faster than any non-myth unit. The flying part makes it more ridiculous.
Compared to similar non-myth: 5 Horsemen = 1 harpy for attack. For 1 more pop, you get 9 more attack for 360 less wood, 180 more stone, 400 more silver (if you have - but more importantly, an hour longer to build (depending on your barracks) I'd say Harpy wins, if you're cranking out enough love for Hera.

Medusa

Attack: Sharp. Good stuff. Strong sharp, too - 7.5 chariots (or 26.5 hops) worth of sharp.
Defense: Outstanding. No glaring weaknesses. Worst defense is 375 against ranged. 435 against sharp is pretty stout too.
Favor cost: Again, pretty decent at 210 for a great two-way unit.
Pop cost: A bargain at 18 per. You'll not get a better combo of atk and def at that price from any myth or non-myth unit, without some kind of glaring weakness.
Rez cost: Excellent for its class. Cheaper than 8 chars or 27 hops to accomplish the same goal.
Time cost: Here's the kicker. At 2 hours apiece, they still come out faster than equivalent #'s of chars or hops, but it's still a long damned wait.
Speed: Same as a hop. But, much like a hop, you're not using this girl to farm your island, you're either sending her on a boat ride or defending your city.
Compared to similar non-myth: No comparison, really. Chars are great for beating up your neighbors, but when it's time to put a beatdown on a prospective new city, or prevent your city from becoming such a casualty, she's got it all over the other sharp options.

Feel free to share your thoughts while I cook up an analysis of Zeus' troops.

DeletedUser2795

I am going to remind you that what matters most is the attack per favor and cost per favor, because it takes the most time to accumulate all of the favor for a mythical unit. And there is a mythical unit comparison in cobble's big unit guide

DeletedUser

Nay. We British Empire fans do love our navy......

Poseidon shall be my religion.
Cyclop:

Attack:
756 (Ranged): Most units that defend well against Ranged attacks suck when made to hold off stabbers, so pairing up the Cyclop with a legion of Hoplites and Chariots seems like a solid strategy. Out preforms 40 Archers by 2x (same pop)
Defense:
945 (Blunt) 10 (Sharp) 1310 (Ranged)
The Hoplite-Chariot-Cyclops combo's main weakness is Sharp though, but I've got Hydras to hold the enemy off at sea, so as long as those Hoplites can't cross the wooden wall they can't stab my Cyclops.
Cost:
2000 Wood 4200 Clay 3800 Silver 360 Favor
Whooping. But still not as expensive as the 40 Archers :p. However, the high Silver and Favor cost remains a concern. I am situated on an island with Silver bonus, so that wouldn't be a problem, but Favor...
Summary:
It's a nice offensive unit, yet it's extremely expensive but this is manageable if you have multiple cities (or generous tribemates)

Hydra:

Attack:
1000: The Hydra has a collosal attack, even after factoring in it's pop value, it's worth 5 Triremes on it's own and should from the core of your navy.
Defense:
715: The Hydra has a weaker defense than a Bireme or Trireme defense, therefore it should be used aggresively, and should have some extra defensive ships as backup.
Cost:
5400 Wood 2800 Clay 3800 Silver 400 Favor
Well, I sure got mildly disappointed when I saw the cost, but hey, who cares. (not wanting to write anymore)
Summary:
To sum it up, the Hydra is an expensive uber unit, and having three or four within your navy could turn the tide of a battle. It is suggested that the Poseidon religion be used in your second city, where you have your original polis supplying you with goods to build these monstosities.
Also, take note that no other god has Mythical Naval units, so use your navy to your advantage ;)

DeletedUser

Just lately as the game has progressed for me I have dedicated one village to Manticore production. I believe that they will be the ultimate siege breaker. In my experience, the main weakness in sieges is ground troops. Personally I ensure I have atleast 1.5k defensive troops total, but this hasn't been the case for everyone else it seems.

This leaves sieges wide open to land attacks. Enter the manticore. I can build two of these a day, and i'm aiming for an army of 40-45 of these. They will fly right over the naval defence and hit the ground troops, thus breaking the siege. One thing that might be worth comparison is - would the Harpy be better suited for this job? Just a tip for a comparison.

DeletedUser

Just lately as the game has progressed for me I have dedicated one village to Manticore production. I believe that they will be the ultimate siege breaker. In my experience, the main weakness in sieges is ground troops. Personally I ensure I have atleast 1.5k defensive troops total, but this hasn't been the case for everyone else it seems.

This leaves sieges wide open to land attacks. Enter the manticore. I can build two of these a day, and i'm aiming for an army of 40-45 of these. They will fly right over the naval defence and hit the ground troops, thus breaking the siege. One thing that might be worth comparison is - would the Harpy be better suited for this job? Just a tip for a comparison.

Harpy would be cheaper and easier to assemble, but if you have the patience and the ENORMOUS favor generation, I can see the Manticore as a viable option in the current metagame.

DeletedUser

Nay. We British Empire fans do love our navy......

Poseidon shall be my religion.
Cyclop:

Attack:
756 (Ranged): Most units that defend well against Ranged attacks suck when made to hold off stabbers, so pairing up the Cyclop with a legion of Hoplites and Chariots seems like a solid strategy. Out preforms 40 Archers by 2x (same pop)

40 Slingers= 920 Attack Range

Archers aren't Offensive units :O

Conclusion: Cyclop suck :D

DeletedUser

I am going to remind you that what matters most is the attack per favor and cost per favor, because it takes the most time to accumulate all of the favor for a mythical unit. And there is a mythical unit comparison in cobble's big unit guide

I go by farm space because everything else does regenerate after time.

Harpies have the best blunt attack/ farmspace
Medusas have the best sharp attack/ farmspace
Slingers have the best ranged attack/ farmspace

Pegasi have the best blunt defense/ farmspace
Centaurs have the best sharp defense/ farmspace
Cyclops have the best ranged defense/ farmspace

Therefore, in my opinion the best God for an offensive city would be Hera and the best god for a defensive city would be Athena.

DeletedUser

40 Slingers= 920 Attack Range

Archers aren't Offensive units :O

Conclusion: Cyclop suck :D

Ahhh........

But Cyclops could defend against Slingers better than Slingers could against Cyclops......

DeletedUser

True but the harpy is much much weaker and dies easy from archers. The manticores are worth it.

p.s. Why do I have negative reputation? It seems a little unfair to rate me negative when I havant bee in the Grepolis forums for over a month. :/