Does World Difficulty Matter?

DeletedUser41523

This is stemming off of the best team ever assembled topic. I noticed a lot of people offering up teams that many agree are good but they also only play worlds deemed undesirable with questionable competition. This brings me to my question on if world difficulty is important in the matter of respect?

Like is it better to be the team that dominated a speed 1 morale world in wars and swept wonders? Or the team that had a good run in a speed 3 but barely won wonders, never crowned, and was deadlocked or even losing on a front or two?

DeletedUser22115

Dont think it matters, really depends on who is in the world.

MissusR

Phrourach
World speed and type is an individual taste like white wine or red, steak well done or rare. I hate revolt and I hate speed 1 so will never play them seriously. Does not make those who do and go to win the world any less good. In fact I would say well done for not dying of boredom or old age.

DeletedUser32254

Best team is such a difficult question. So many variables. Different worlds, game change over the years, new scripts and apps, premade or built, teams that spend gold like water.... I really do not know how you could factor all that in and balance it all out.

For me the best teams are the ones I played with in Troy-- a built team. And a close second, Paros premade core/built.
Neither would be included in a best teams thread but I really enjoyed playing with those people. I never met any of them in RL but the core players I would have trusted with my bank account number. I still speak with some of them though the most have long since moved on from the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser41523

Let me rephrase. When I say world difficulty, I don't mean to imply every speed 1 is a bad world or every speed 3 is a hard world. What I'm asking is pretty much what Kuriants said.

What i'm asking is can a team reasonably be considered the best or even well respected without really beating anyone that would be considered significant by the community. But is still consistently winning on their worlds?

DeletedUser32254

Let me rephrase. When I say world difficulty, I don't mean to imply every speed 1 is a bad world or every speed 3 is a hard world. What I'm asking is pretty much what Kuriants said.

What i'm asking is can a team reasonably be considered the best or even well respected without really beating anyone that would be considered significant by the community. But is still consistently winning on their worlds?

In general, no.
But,, it can still be difficult to compare.
Skulduggery of many sorts and unlimited credit cards set aside,,, I think that, at the least, we have to segregate to world generations.

Grepo has changed quite a bit over the years.

DeletedUser32254

Wouldn't it be fun to have an "all star" tournament world once every couple of years? Crowned teams against crowned teams.

DeletedUser42857

Its swings and roundabouts

Speed 1 Morale is the hardest strategically. Nukes take a month to build so troops are valuable, you dont waste troops, you calculate ratios, you put things in the right order. And morale forces you to have a range of players including smaller players for clearances.

On the flip side, the pace is so slow that a newcomer to the game can learn the game properly with relative ease, and someone who maybe doesnt have a huge amount of time on their hands doesnt have to be as active.

Speed 4 No Morale on the other hand. Nukes rebuild so quickly that nobody bothers with order or tactics. Just spam mixed nukes (or buy myths - the myth buffs at speed 4 are huge), and eventually you will break through. Any idiot can play and do well at speed 4 with little experience. Its just about bashing stuff down. And lack of Morale means you can just farm small players out of the game.

On the flip side, the speed requires a much higher level of activity. Players who only log in 3 times a day wont last long, and the additional of No Moral make it pretty much impossible for noobs

DeletedUser41523

This is why I prefer speed 2. Its faster than speed 1. But you still need to think about where you're using your troops.

DeletedUser54192

Wouldn't it be fun to have an "all star" tournament world once every couple of years? Crowned teams against crowned teams.
It's a nice idea, but I fear it wouldn't work, for a few reasons:
- If you are mixing up teams from different speeds, the world settings will give an inherent advantage to some teams.
- There will be a number of players who have had crowns with multiple recent teams, so they will have to pick a team.
- Players leave, so some teams might be missing key players by the time it comes to an "all stars" challenge.

DeletedUser32254

It's a nice idea, but I fear it wouldn't work, for a few reasons:
- If you are mixing up teams from different speeds, the world settings will give an inherent advantage to some teams.
- There will be a number of players who have had crowns with multiple recent teams, so they will have to pick a team.
- Players leave, so some teams might be missing key players by the time it comes to an "all stars" challenge.

Valid points.
It would be difficult to put together and hard choices would have to be made.

But it would be worth the trouble.

DeletedUser41523

Would be impossible to do. On top of Kal's reasons there's also other factors:
- Civil War. EN crumbled from it. Venom has 2-3 different groups at the moment. 2 of which for sure would fight each other. So right away the two most notable groups aren't in the equation. Or wouldn't be at the rate they're known for.
- Timing. It wouldn't happen unless everyone is free which would pretty much require another world like Rhammus where we don't get a world for half a year.
-Settings. Everyone would have to agree to go speed 2 probably. Which many won't do.

DeletedUser32254

Would be impossible to do. On top of Kal's reasons there's also other factors:
- Civil War. EN crumbled from it. Venom has 2-3 different groups at the moment. 2 of which for sure would fight each other. So right away the two most notable groups aren't in the equation. Or wouldn't be at the rate they're known for.
- Timing. It wouldn't happen unless everyone is free which would pretty much require another world like Rhammus where we don't get a world for half a year.
-Settings. Everyone would have to agree to go speed 2 probably. Which many won't do.

Yes, hard choices would have to be made. Perfect match-ups would not be possible. But we have that from world to world anyway and I will bet dollars to a donuts that many players might make the extra effort to join such a world. Key word there being "players", people who play for fun, like a challenge, and are not afraid to lose.

I have many times suggested a "buy in" world. -- X amount of gold to join the world for which you get the admins and that is it, no other use of gold. An all-star tournament world would be the perfect use for that.

DeletedUser41523

@Vorrian Well I think you could have an all star style world. But there's two conditions.

1) You'd have to accept an international server. Which means you have to maybe accept moving to another server entirely. Though they would likely use EN.

2) Lag would increase, specifically during ops, as to support this there would need a world cap increase of at least 10k per world. It shouldn't be as bad as that classic world over the summer. But it would slow down a bit.

DeletedUser22115

@Vorrian Well I think you could have an all star style world. But there's two conditions.

1) You'd have to accept an international server. Which means you have to maybe accept moving to another server entirely. Though they would likely use EN.

2) Lag would increase, specifically during ops, as to support this there would need a world cap increase of at least 10k per world. It shouldn't be as bad as that classic world over the summer. But it would slow down a bit.

World cap increase may not be necessary as they could do something similar to a hero world with higher requirements for the purpose of crowning the best alliance.

DeletedUser32254

What I think would be the largest hurdle is, This would be a much a spectator sport as an all-star show down. How do you do that without affecting the game play too much?
Grepo TV with a delay of some sort? Something like World War 2 documentary battle maps married to World Cup "play by play"??

From Inno's POV, this could be a good promotion and advertisement for the game, if done correctly.

I could see spectator contests as the external forums have, prizes both RL and game.....

DeletedUser22517

Dim is right, the most difficult world is speed 1 with morale. Yes new heroes helps but not that much at start of the game, so Dim is spot on.

The most painful thing in speed 1 is not the build time of troops or buildings(that can be solved now with gold and cost less than costed before) but the resources. Unless you have a ton of gold and trust me when i say even ton of gold will dry out if you don`t use your brain or find a way to somehow minimize the cost of the rebuilding.

I calculated and for 360 LS nuke early in the game you will need more than 50k gold. That even for big gold spender is not a joke, if you want to have lets say 3 LS nukes before everyone else is still building up his first city( like we in TS do :D ). But there is always a way if you are smart enough and you have a good alliance.

Speed 3 or 4 just shoot and who cares. Yes there is more action in higher speed worlds but it is brainless action created for people like Erik and his group who act like brainless apes trying to play chess.

To end this, this is my conclusion on skills you need to play grepo in different speeds:

Speed 4= super easy
Speed 3= easy
Speed 2= normal
Speed 1= hard

DeletedUser50245

who needs 360 when 25 will do? :D i doubt anyone would have built 400 birs at the first 7 days of the server in a 1,1 server, except Erik and Valoris of course lol ;)
speed 1 is harder of course ... it really takes skill and cunning management of everything to take enemy cities .... but there are rarely good targets after BP's end ... gold may not be an issue if most players are playing "normal." if you don't have enough gold, better stay in the rim
smiley_emoticons_steckenpferd.gif

DeletedUser22517

who needs 360 when 25 will do? :D i doubt anyone would have built 400 birs at the first 7 days of the server in a 1,1 server, except Erik and Valoris of course lol ;)
speed 1 is harder of course ... it really takes skill and cunning management of everything to take enemy cities .... but there are rarely good targets after BP's end ... gold may not be an issue if most players are playing "normal." if you don't have enough gold, better stay in the rim
smiley_emoticons_steckenpferd.gif
Not if you play against the world, 25LS wont do it then, plus we in TS like to make our enemies fear us from day one so those 360LS nukes are must :D
P.S. StAthanasius, is any of Erik apes still playing this game or they are back on the trees where they belong? :D :D :D

DeletedUser50245

Not if you play against the world, 25LS wont do it then, plus we in TS like to make our enemies fear us from day one so those 360LS nukes are must :D
P.S. StAthanasius, is any of Erik apes still playing this game or they are back on the trees where they belong? :D :D :D
nah, 25 or 30 will do just fine ... after all, most players in the whole server are not gold whores, and the all other alliances are also fighting each other lol ;)
i wouldn't call them apes ... some of them are my friends ... so it wouldn't be right ... i think they are scattered across all major alliances in en103 (Carystus) ...