Newspaper En126 Mel Interviews

Evil MeIinoe

Strategos
Part 1
Good evening all,

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during the pandemic.

I thought I'd do something a little different to spicy things up, and I am hosting interviews with a few individuals from a range of different alliances.
I ask to please, not cause any drama as those are just opinions, if you disagree with something lets have a civil chat down below.

Hope this little series brings you all joy, and I hope you guys enjoy the read, there will be a few different interviews so keep an eye out!
To start things of, I will be joined by one of my own, ZipThunderZap who will answer some tough questions, as well as a spicy bonus question at the end, enjoy!

Interview with ZipThunderZap.

So ZipyZap, based on the current state of the world, which alliance has impressed you and why?

I think at this point in the world most people would have to point to Check Mate. They have done very well at dominating O54 and spreading into the core sections of every other ocean through strong diplomacy, quick and strong offensives, and taking advantage of struggling alliances.

If you had to pick, who is your favourite person at Stooges?

Oh dear, Im probably going to make myself a few internal enemies here cause I love the entire group that we have, but I got to go with Puppy. Me and him have talked the most out of the group and tend to do our own mini ops together on both 126 and 127. Not much happens for either of us without the other person knowing and we are usually there to support the other whenever needed.

What is your personal opinion on Nemesis and Check Mate?

Check Mate I feel as though I gave them a pretty good description up above. To summarise they have been very smart with their approach to this world and always have a plan that best suits them. Seems like a nice group based on who I have interacted with on 127 but they clearly are here to win.

Nemesis need to show more if they want to compete for this world anymore I feel like. Them, and Kleos, disappointed me this last weekend when we took a bunch of cities from Ferarri and Bretster. I think they have been good diplomatically but they really need to step it up both offensively and defensively for me to have any real faith in them being a challenge for Stooges or Check Mate to win the world.

Outside of the top 5, are you impressed by any alliances, or perhaps a certain individual?

Ill be honest, outside of the top 3 (Check Mate, Stooges, Nemesis and crew) I currently view them all as food. If any of the top 3 decided they wanted to beat up on a particular alliance they probably could. Its going to take some action that proves otherwise for me to really be impressed with any of them. Sorry guys, but actions speak loud, and yes I haven't been paying the most attention, but something big will certainly grab my eyes.

If things were to escalate in 44 between Nemesis and Kleos, who would you consider a winner?

Now this is a hard one. Those two have been together since anyone really realised they were a threat in the world so I have always just viewed them as the same group. To be completely honest I really don't know anyone in either alliance all that well or who to expect more fighting power from if a war broke out. I think I would have to go with Nemesis based on the higher attacking and defending scores which mean a lot in a war, but would be very interested to see how this would all work out since they are so scattered among each other on the map.

And finally, the bonus question, if I'm twenty three, and I was born five years ago, how old would I be?

Well, I think the 23 is irrelevant. After that I got to go back 5 years ago which would mean 2015 so I would have to say you were 5 since that wasn't a leap year and as far as i'm aware there are no other weird age change phenomenons.

Evil MeIinoe

Strategos
Part 2
Interview with Move.

To get things started, besides Check Mate and based on the current situation, have any other alliances impressed you so far during the journeys of en126?

If I had to pick one it would be Lykos. Not because of their skill or organisation, but because of their determination, persistence and their spirit. They don't have the best players, but I'm confident they must have one of the best team atmospheres out there.

They now have two sisters, so almost three full teams, not exactly my way of playing, but one can not deny they have done well for themselves out on the rim and both surprised and impressed me that is for sure.

As you know from the past, and possibly in the current time there has been bad tension going on, why do you think people have a negative attitude towards Check Mate?

We have our own philosophy, we play our own way and therefore its easy for people to spin whatever we do in an unconventional way as negative.
In general people are here for themselves/their own team and for their own chances to win...
Therefore the best team is always a natural supervillain.

What's your personal opinion on Nemesis/Retribution and ocean 44 as a whole, do you think their strategy of having the ocean divided between 4 groups is effective?

I wouldn't call them 4 groups, I would say its two teams with sisters that is pacted forming a pretty large coalition, I count 114 players at the moment of writing adding up Nemesis, Retribution, Kleos, Kleos II and Rag-Tag and Cheese...

Its not that 114 players cant be a superpower, its just that first and foremost it takes a lot of discipline, organisation and the right type of both people and players to make it work...
Add in the fact that only 30 people can win in the end, 119 players leaves a lot of people to cut. Maybe they are already aware of this and choose to play together all the same, maybe Kleos and Nemesis are a couple right now, but not forever....
In that case the number would shrink a lot very quickly if they were to split at one point. Together they should be very strong, but their decision-making and organisation have let them down lately. You asked me earlier which team had impressed me the most, If you asked me which team has disappointed me the most then it has to be Nemesis. Unless they turn the tide quickly I think they fill fade out and be forgotten.

With hand on heart, who is your favourite person at Check Mate and why?

This guy, he lights up our discord chat, true joy to talk to
1593463810702.png
*Sponsored by GrepoData*

And finally the bonus question, a roaster laid an egg on a roof, which way did the egg roll?

It didn't roll onto the podium that's for sure because that was already full of CM players.

Evil MeIinoe

Strategos
Part 3
Interview with Mercenary501.

Based on the current state of the world, which alliance has impressed you so far and why?

For me, this has probably been one of the most fascinating worlds so far that I've played in. A small while ago, we wouldn't go a week without something major happening which was quite surprising for a speed 2 world haha.

I've seen quite a few interesting things happen in this world, however I think the rebound Stooges showed was quite impressive. With the collapse of SS alongside Big Papa, I had expected Ocean 55 to become a war zone with main alliances in O45, O54 and even O44 started to spread their tendrils and quickly gaining ground.

However, Stooges has shown that it's still here for a good fight. Consolidating their position and quickly expanding into O45; their participation in the Operation against Kebbe and Animal Farm and then their incorporation of key players from these alliances has just further solidified their position and granted them a sizeable influence in the world dynamics. Jumping to 2nd positions doesn't hurt either haha.

Looking forward to seeing which path they choose to follow in the future.

I would also like to say a quick thank you to the members of Elite Squad though for the enjoyable back and forth they provided us a few weeks back. Impressive defence work

In your opinion, why do you think people show negative attitude towards Check Mate, and as a whole, what's your personal opinion on them?

When someone is doing well, someone else will start hating them for it. Human nature at its finest.

There are also quite a few players complaining about gold usage and how Grepolis has become unfair through it. That is a whole other topic of conversation we won't delve into but some of these people have shifted their hatred on to Check Mate as the next alliance to win through gold usage alone. Which is unfair and untrue. Yes, gold has been used, but gold does not solely win you a world. I strongly believe that a solid leadership, teamwork, communication and most importantly activity are what will win you a world. Gold helps smooth over the rough edges that can crop up in a team. One of the biggest alliance killers in my humble opinion is lack of activity.

Cannot do much if half your team is simming.

I've usually kept out of externals or world chats and I haven't played seriously since Nagidos (although I had an interesting stint in Onchesmos haha), which means, quite unfortunately, I have not really got to meet or talk to many of the more outspoken members of the current Grepolis community. I do recognise a few old faces that I have seen in passing and I hope their reputation precedes them but I've mainly learnt of Check Mate and their roster from the grapevine, so to speak, although you are always willing to drop a good word about Move. when he comes up in our conversations hahaha.

I think Check Mate have had an interesting start to this server and so far, things have aligned to benefit them, be it through their mastery of diplomacy or their good luck or a bit of both. I believe that they are a good team, ready and willing to aim for the top and the win Pseira. So far, I have seen a solid and uniform movement from their team, solid decisions from their leadership and an absolute hunger for BP which I am rather jealous about. I wish them all the best and look forward to the decisions they will take in the future.

What are your personal thoughts on Stooges?

I have already elaborated a little on this on the first question. But to talk a little bit more in depth, as I have said about Check Mate, I recognize a few old faces here and there and know them mainly by reputation or being at the odd end of their attacks haha.

I have heard both good and bad stuff about Stooges, however I feel that they have done well in this past month, quickly expanding outwards from their area of influence in O55. They were probably one of the alliances which gained the most during the O45 Operation, gaining valuable new members, strategic outpost and consolidating their presence in O45. Overall, nice growth. I have to say though, that turtle is adorable! Love their profile haha. Keep up the good work!

Now that 44 is under the control, of the coalition (Nemesis, Retribution, Kleos & Kleos II) do you think the bond between the groups will win them the world?

What an interesting question, poaching for information? Hahaha. O44 isn’t fully under our control yet, elements of Elite Squad are still present and Rim alliances are looking to poach a few islands and slither into O44. So we’ll be busy for quite a while in that area and Ocean 45 has now had its doors open as well. About relations, Nemesis and Kleos have worked well together so far, only time will tell if our collaboration becomes fruitful. Do not forget that they are still 3 months until DOM starts, anything could happen.

Looking outside of the top 5, do you think there is an alliance that could still surprise us all and potentially aim to beat the big names when domination appears?

That would add a nice twist to the world dynamics, but I doubt it. Perhaps if one of the top 5 were to collapse and an alliance out of said top 5 were to pick the players up? Interesting "what if" scenario's but doubtful they would come to pass. But then again, anything could happen.

Who is most definitely, your favourite person at Kleos and why?

Dear god, are you trying to cause a civil war in Kleos? hahaha

It's been an absolute pleasure fighting alongside my team these past few months (or years for the old Kleos vets) and I wouldn't replace them for the world. Every one of them has given their all for the alliance, especially the leadership who works closely alongside me to make the members experience here in Grepolis as enjoyable as possible. People sometimes forget that Grepolis is fundamentally a game to enjoy and sometimes get to caught up in the politics or the situation to really sit back and enjoy the game.

OPs, a cold beer and a discord on fire is what really makes me stay and enjoy Grep. The communities and friendships we create are what suck me back in every year or three to try again in a new world.

So a big thank you to Kleos for making me enjoy the game again and I hope you're all having fun too!

Bonus question for our Kleos leader, a cowboy rides into town on Friday, stays for three days and leaves on Friday. How did he do it?

Hope Friday was properly fed and watered before leaving on Friday. For Friday's are quite hard on Friday as Friday has a tendency to be quite lethargic on Friday's. At least he didn't ride in on Monday. Monday's a pain.

Last edited:

Evil MeIinoe

Strategos
Part 4

Interview with Van Helsing.​

To get started as always, what are your current thoughts on en126 and which alliance and/or individual has impressed you the most?

126 has been a difficult world for me and others in Nemesis - we started poorly.
We dropped with a good team but most did not take it seriously and left after forming Dynamic Apes then Broke back Mountain.
Nemesis was formed of those that were left. With certain individuals spending exorbitant amounts of gold we were held to ransom and finally found the balls to stand up and be counted and removed one such individual and in this case skill won out over gold.

Who has impressed me? - we have some small players who are not well know who have impressed me - They always send support, always active on the forum and always get involved in ops. I cant mention names because I am sure to miss someone out. But all alliances have individuals like this.

Personally, what is your opinion on Check Mate and what is your view on all the negativity they received?

Check Mate are our friends today but lets be honest, when the Domination time comes we will all be fighting for the 40%. Check Mate have played this world well - started together, stayed together and with the use of excellent diplomacy got to the position they deserve. Move. must be commended.

Usually negativity comes from jealousy

When you look at Stooges, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Stooges have grown and I am sure the majority of the players are reasonable people; however when players attack, lose their OLU, gold it back, attack again and lose it, and then gold it back again spending literally thousands of gold, I have to ask myself where the skill has gone from the game as nobody can compete against this.

When looking at ocean 44, would you consider it united, and ready for battle against the opposing parties in the top 5?

Ocean 44 is fairly united in such that Nemesis, Retribution and Kleos alliances are working together. A coalition of sorts. Remember that the winning team only has 30 participants - so whoever works together needs to think about the future.

Who would you consider a worth opponent in en126?

Check Mate.

Who is your favorite person in Nemesis and why?

I am going to have more than one - Arenthia1907 - Rachel always has DLU when you need it and is always around to support. Momentum is trying hard to gel the alliance after Uvis and Rhaegar left and Chemical Guy and Aphantom have impressed me with their imput. I am sure I will be beaten up by others now!

And for the bonus question, what is your personal opinion on turtles, and why are they the cutest thing on the planet Earth?

Well lets be honest about Turtles - they are one of the oldest reptiles that have hardly changed over the millennia and some live to over 100 years. So they are like some Grepo players who have been about
forever - Skud, Tim, need I say more......

7680.gif

Last edited:

wreakedhavoc

Phrourach
Part 4

Interview with Van Helsing.​

When you look at Stooges, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Stooges have grown and I am sure the majority of the players are reasonable people; however when players attack, lose their OLU, gold it back, attack again and lose it, and then gold it back again spending literally thousands of gold, I have to ask myself where the skill has gone from the game as nobody can compete against this.

Just going to comment on the bolded part, you gave credit to Check Mate when they pretty much use the same strategy. They attack, lose the units, gold it up, and attack again.

You should have been fair here if you wanted to mention such a thing, mention all alliances using it, don't limit it to your current enemies.

Just stating it because you had an opinion on Check Mate and you never mentioned this.

Note: I'm not nagging about gold, I myself use a lot of gold, but this didn't sound fair at all

Trist3

Chiliarch
Part 5
Interview with Mel
Hi guys, I have been hired by Mel as a low tier freelancer to fill in as an interviewer for an assignment. I would like to preface I was not aware who I would be interviewing before I was hired, and deeply regret this job now.. (JK love you Mel :D ). So without further ado, here is the interview of the true interviewer herself.

So to keep with tradition, what are your current thoughts on en126 and which alliance and/or individual has impressed you the most?

Personally, I am extremely happy with this world, and haven't enjoyed the world this much since Nagidos. It's been a strange start for me, as I got rejected by one of the groups I wanted to play with, luckily I found my home after Puppy offered me a place in Stooges. As for alliances that impressed me, there aren't any as bad as that may sound, I believe that Stooges have made the biggest turn around and are the impressive group but then again, that could be the inner me talking. Outside of that obviously Check are doing really well for themselves. My soft spot would have to go to Tiny Turtle Team, a tiny group made of 3 players sinking a lot of cs's left right and center, specifically Fezic, a fantastic player. Another individual that's impressed me would be Sethien and perhaps Lykos as a whole, showing true determination and resilience, a group who got slaughtered by Check, is back up and in the top 10, really wish them all the best!

Ok next question, if you had to set up a server-wide coup, who would be your right-hand man/woman in CM, Stooges, and Nem/Kleos?

Oh noooo, putting me on the spot like that is definitely not what I want to be doing as I have so many favourites in Stooges! Beginning with Nemesis, it would most definitely be Van Helsing, I have a lot of respect for Van Helsing, played in the past together on multiple worlds at least for a short while, and he's a very experienced and honest person which I admire the most. For Kleos, without questions it has to be Mercenary! Possible one of the nicest people in Grepolis history and an experienced leader as well, Kleos has a special place in my heart, and having Merc lead them is definitely a blessing for them. For Check Mate, it has to be Move, one of the best players I have ever played with. We go a long way back, all the way to Nagidos where we played together. He's not only an amazing player but also an amazing leader who back in the days took about 35 cities in a day on Nagidos. Great player, and a great person that I keep in touch with. And now for the worse part, my 1 pick at Stooges-.- I am going to bend that rule and bring forward 2 names because I cannot mention one without the other. Puppy is one of those names, as I said before, I had a difficult time starting the server and Pupps took me in and put a lot of trust in me by allowing me to move into 55 from 54, Pupps is also one of the nicest people I know, if not the nicest! We have a great bond and we get on really well. The other name is GustyCat. Gusty had faith in me and moved with me into 55 when I offered him the chance to do so. I have a lot of respect for Gusty for that, and we also share a same mind set on a lot of things, fantastic player and a great friend!
(Don't hate me Trist )

No hard feelings haha, ok next, if a rim alliance was to win the server, which would it be?

Very interesting question that and a hard one to answer if I'm perfectly honest. I will base this on what I've seen and the players I know, I would strongly stand by Lykos here if there was a rim alliance to win the world. As I mentioned before, a really determined group who did get slaughtered by Check. Despite that they keep going, they have some really good players and excellent leaders. Aw and of course, Tiny Turtle Team is also up there, I would be over the moon if they won the world, sending my personal turtle love their way!

Interesting, second to last then, if all rim alliances were to pact against the big 3 and the server go to war, inside vs outside, who would you put as favourite and by how much?

As blunt as this may sound, I don't think the alliances on the rim would have much of a chance against the top dogs, at least not for now. I just dont think they would have enough fire power to deal with the bombardment from the top 3. Check alone is bigger than Chaos, Protected By and New Model Army put together, if you add the others into the mix, the top dogs out number the rim alliances in cities, defensive rankings and offensive rankings. Perhaps in the future the odds would be more favourable for the under dogs but as it stands, I believe the top groups would most definitely win, 100%.

And lastly, if turtles had never existed, which would be the cutest animal :) ?

Hahahaha, well, hm that's a difficult question to answer because we all know turtles are the most amazing species on the planet. If I HAD to pick another animal that competes with the amazing turtles, I would definitely say Foxes. I think Foxes are super cute and sweet, and I would most definitely want one as a pet alongside my turtle. Also, possibly a pet spider as well, as I had a tarantula when I was little :D.