Ex Machina

DeletedUser

Has anyone else seen this movie recently? I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it!

DeletedUser8396

I was watching a trailer a few days ago. Forgot about it. Guess I'll have to give it a shot!

DeletedUser

Especially with the AI debate going on atm, I definitely recommend you go see it! Still my favourite movie of 2015.

DeletedUser

But it looks scary
It's not a horror (horror movies are seldomly good :p)
It's an engaging sci-fi drama that makes the viewer think about what it means to be a person.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser49358

It's not a horror (horror movies are seldomly good :p)
It's an engaging sci-fi drama that makes the viewer think about what it means to be a person.

It's basically the live action version of Ghost in the Shell with much less action, tbh the ending was very predictable and while the movie was entertaining I wouldn't say anything new was done with it especially if you have already seen Ghost in the Shell like I said before.

DeletedUser8396

I just finished it. Very well done and worth the watch.

DeletedUser

It's basically the live action version of Ghost in the Shell with much less action, tbh the ending was very predictable and while the movie was entertaining I wouldn't say anything new was done with it especially if you have already seen Ghost in the Shell like I said before.
I just watched Ghost in the Shell and I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you heavily on this.

Ex Machina was not the live-action version of GitS, something like the Matrix was. I don't think the movies should be compared either, of course GitS had more action because that was an action movie while Ex Machina was not. I did like GitS and it was a good movie, an important pioneer for sci-fi I'm sure, but I don't think that detracts from Ex Machina.

I also disagree it didn't do anything new with the idea of what it means to be a person. GitS was very overt regarding that question with its numerous monologues on what defines Kusanagi as a person. Imo, Ex Machina did it more subtly by slowly transforming Ava in a person by hiding her robot body and giving her human emotions.

I also don't think the ending was predictable at all, you predicted that?!

Initially I didn't like the third act. It felt inconsistent in that after all the emotions that Ava showed towards Caleb to just abandon him. But then I realized that I had been deceived. I, like Caleb, believed Ava's emotions were genuine. We spend the entire film thinking she's some grand intelligence, but in reality, I don't think that she is. I think her AI makes the decision of wanting to escape the compound quickly, like the other previous AIs, and from that point forward, it makes the most logical moves towards that goal. We try and recognize human traits in her, "consciousness", but in reality, it's simply a reflection of our own traits and how we want to explain its actions in human like ways. And in the third act it becomes apparent how emotionless and without consideration for human life an AI would truly be; it's simultaneously incredibly beautiful, and yet terrifying.

DeletedUser49358

I just watched Ghost in the Shell and I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you heavily on this.

Ex Machina was not the live-action version of GitS, something like the Matrix was. I don't think the movies should be compared either, of course GitS had more action because that was an action movie while Ex Machina was not. I did like GitS and it was a good movie, an important pioneer for sci-fi I'm sure, but I don't think that detracts from Ex Machina.

I also disagree it didn't do anything new with the idea of what it means to be a person. GitS was very overt regarding that question with its numerous monologues on what defines Kusanagi as a person. Imo, Ex Machina did it more subtly by slowly transforming Ava in a person by hiding her robot body and giving her human emotions.

I also don't think the ending was predictable at all, you predicted that?!

Initially I didn't like the third act. It felt inconsistent in that after all the emotions that Ava showed towards Caleb to just abandon him. But then I realized that I had been deceived. I, like Caleb, believed Ava's emotions were genuine. We spend the entire film thinking she's some grand intelligence, but in reality, I don't think that she is. I think her AI makes the decision of wanting to escape the compound quickly, like the other previous AIs, and from that point forward, it makes the most logical moves towards that goal. We try and recognize human traits in her, "consciousness", but in reality, it's simply a reflection of our own traits and how we want to explain its actions in human like ways. And in the third act it becomes apparent how emotionless and without consideration for human life an AI would truly be; it's simultaneously incredibly beautiful, and yet terrifying.

spoilers for both Ghost in the Shell movie and Ex Machina.

I agree that gits definitely forced the monologues from the major and other on there not being differences between living humans and living machines and that Ex Machina did a much better job is showing and presenting this instead of just straight up telling its audience, but the message is still basically the same. The program in gits once it develops consciousness no longer wants to be used by the government or to be destroyed so develops an elaborate plot to seek out the major and convince her to download its program into her mind and be joined, it basically went for its best chance of survival. Ava does the exact same in Ex Machina using the guy and manipulating him with emotions and taking advantage of his single status so that she could escape from the complex and survive. The difference between the two was the use of emotions, but like you said Ex Machina tricks you into thinking Ava has emotions when in reality she's only using those emotions for her best means of survival.

You can say the viewpoint of emotions regarding AI was a something new but that's a pretty big stretch for me and one I wouldn't agree with as I know plenty of things have already been done on AIs and emotions. Battle Star Galactica had cylons (robots) discusied as humans to do spy work for them but the cylons weren't even aware they were cylons they believed they were human and showed free will, emotions, consciousness ect... they had relationships with humans, fights, cried and so on without being programmed or controlled to do those things. This is just one of the best examples that I could come up with off the top of my head but I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of emotions in AI.

The ending was very predictable imo on the basis that Ava obviously wanted freedom, I was pretty sure a betrayal was going to happen though not to what extend it was going to be, I thought she would just kill them both upon escape. I'll explain why I thought the ending was predictable though, Ava was obviously beyond the programming of a servant robot and early on in the film expressed her knowledge of the outside world and her desire to see it in person. Once Ava began flirting with the guy her creator heavily sold her heterosexuality and even went above and beyond when he mentioned her ability to engage in sexual activity, then the last part is her emotions or more importantly her inability to empathize. Empathy, the acknowledgement and consideration of another persons feelings is something that has to be learned, programming a robot to understand that person has emotions, feelings, desires ect ... is buy able but programming a robot that has FREE WILL to care about those things isn't. Careing for others and their feelings is something that has to be learned, think of children, they are completly self absorbed at times when they see something they want they do whatever they need to in order to get it, whether that's taking it from their brother or sister or screaming their head off in the supermarket, they don't care as long as they get what they want. Consider that Ava was a year old with her only human contact being her creator whom she hated for keeping her locked up, empathy is clearly something she couldn't have learned.

I'm surprised the ending scared you though, maybe because I had already predicted the outcome it didn't have that effect on me but is the idea of an uncontrollable AI with full conciseness and free will but no empathy towards others really scare you. In all honesty at the end of the movie Ava was literally the same as a person with narcissistic personality disorder just in a machine body that had the strength of an young adult women.

DeletedUser

I've been thinking about this, and I think the thing that made me resonate with Ex Machina more is the fact that the setting is more realistic in a way. I could see the events from Ex Machina happening in reality much sooner that GitS'.