Passed Farming Village improvement

Shuri2060

Strategos
Proposal:

Creation of farm all cities button for players with over 20 cities (with Captain). Captcha expected every 6 uses of the farm all button (but random).

Background Explanation:

For years, users have been pained by the time and clicks it takes to farm the more cities you have. Once you reach 50+ cities, doing 10 min farms is unviable, even with something like Quack Tools.

Some might say micromanagement is an intrinsic part of the game so we shouldn't simplify farming... but let's be real here - farming is a chore and waste of time if you do it properly after a certain point. I doubt much of the playerbase would be against such a proposal.

The current system encourages the use of illegal scripts that farm automatically when you are offline, giving some players an unfair advantage (provided they aren't caught). There are no drawbacks to using a script here (except the risk - and there are some scripts out there that are hard to detect).

Details + Further Explanation:

I think 20 cities or so is a reasonable point to introduce such a button.

2. If some cities would resource overflow (and you have the warning activated), the same warning could display, but instead, it could perhaps tell you how many cities would overflow and the total resource waste.

It would be nice to have an additional option to only farm everything that wouldn't overflow. (ie. Your options are: Farm all anyway, only farm non-overflows, cancel).

3. The farm all button + captcha would help solve the illegal scripts issue.

I suspect the developers were afraid to implement such a button in the past as it would be even harder to detect automated farming. Currently, your individual clicks when farming for each city can be analysed. But even that analysis isn't perfect if a script replicates human farming.

With the introduction of such a button in this way, the usage of illegal scripts would be disincentivized. Why?

- Because of the captcha, new scripts wouldn't be able to make use of this new button.

- Any automated farming would have to continue using the old method of farming all cities one by one. But that makes cheaters easier to catch! It's a pretty strong indicator you're cheating if you continue to farm every 10/40 minutes using the old way when you have 50-100 cities! (imo it would be dangerous to indict based on this alone - but I believe appropriate warning/questioning + analysis by Support would avoid the issue here)

Cheaters probably have the resource loss warning switched off anyway as it would take a lot more effort to create a script that uses overflowing resources intelligently before farming - so normal users farming one by one to optimize micromanagement wouldn't be falsely accused.

- Having a captcha every ~6 uses of the farm all button sounds reasonable (minimizes disruption, but still does its job). However, I think the captcha should be pseudo-randomized. This prevents new scripts being made that farm 5 times, and then alert the user to farm every 6th (which would basically semi-automate farming).

Eg. there is a 1/6 chance you get a captcha every time you farm all but it's more unlikely than usual to get it twice in a row, and impossible for 3+ times in a row.

4. Best of all, it should be relatively easy to implement.

Last edited:

Sorin Markov

Phrourach
I was just coming on the forums to suggest the same thing. I have 15ish islands to collect from and it takes multiple minutes to collect from all them and I have to come back in 10 minutes to do it all again anyway. I'm feeling kinda burnt out on Grepolis at the moment, and the length of FV collections is solely to blame. Perhaps have a system similar to the selection of individual FV in a city, where you can choose which cities collect from their farming villages.

Also, minor point, it would make more sense for the FV collection screen to be a feature of the Merchant. I'm not complaining, as I find the Merchant mostly useless and so this saves me 100 gold every two weeks, but it just makes more sense. Why would a captain have much to do with farming villages on land? A merchant would have his job going places and buying/selling resources.

lllllllllllll

Lochagos
finally an actual good suggestion from shuri... Being with over 50 farming islands i had to give up on actively farming every 10 mins when i got to like 15 even with quack, its a painful and dread experience that in nothing improves my game play experience. I decided to switch to a more sustainable way of farming in the long run with a mix of 40mins/3hours/8hours when sleeping and even like that I still find it extremely unfun every time the alarm rings "farming time"

DeletedUser39118

excellent suggestion, and great detail in the post.

i have repetitive strain injury and broken relationships from 5 minute farming.. please implement this inno

or send me a good script someone, that will run on an 8 year old macbook pro :p

Fezic

Lochagos
I like the Idea. Instead of 20 cities, I think there could a high resource cost "captain promotion" available in which to invest in each the harbor.

You could use any city with a harbor to add toward the promotion.

As you grow the more obtainable the promotion will be.

Last edited:

Shuri2060

Strategos
I like the Idea. Instead of 20 cities, I think there could a high resource cost "captain promotion" available in which to invest in each the harbor.

You could use any city with a harbor to add toward the promotion.

As you grow the more obtainable the promotion will be.
That would change the game? I think it is best to change the strategic elements of the game as little as possible with such proposals - it is easier for the devs to implement as they don't have to test/consider possible impacts on play.

Fezic

Lochagos
That would change the game? I think it is best to change the strategic elements of the game as little as possible with such proposals - it is easier for the devs to implement as they don't have to test/consider possible impacts on play.
Then it should just be one click collection with the captain from the get go. You may not need it as much with 5 cities but at least it prevents a rich getting richer scenario.
Making it possible for players with 70 cities to collect at 10 min intervals will also be a big change. In my experience players eventually switch from farming to trading from less exposed cities to war active cities and rarely are short on resources. Implementation of one click farm village collecting will be a giant strategic change. It might even be game breaking tbh imo.

With such a dwindling player base already and a lot of most active players populating multiple servers are they going to continue to join fresh worlds if they never reach a point where they don't need to ten min collect?
Idk the answer I'm a one server at a time player.

Last edited:

NutsNBoltz

Strategos
Then it should just be one click collection with the captain from the get go. You may not need it as much with 5 cities but at least it prevents a rich getting richer scenario.
Making it possible for players with 70 cities to collect at 10 min intervals will also be a big change. In my experience players eventually switch from farming to trading from less exposed cities to war active cities and rarely are short on resources. Implementation of one click farm village collecting will be a giant strategic change. It might even be game breaking tbh imo.

With such a dwindling player base already and a lot of most active players populating multiple servers are they going to continue to join fresh worlds if they never reach a point where they don't need to ten min collect?
Idk the answer I'm a one server at a time player.

this doesn't make any sense.

Farming villas currently are not used because, unless you bot, it is so extremely tedious that it is nearly impossible for it to be an effective use of res. If I have time to collect, even at 8 hours before bed, it should NOT take me an 30+ minutes just for me to get the res, then I have to do troop ques, festival runs, etc etc.

The point of this tool is you, or any player, should be able to log in, spend res and hit ONE button to collect for ALL cities from ALL farming villages. A tool that everyone has, is not a game breaking feature. It makes slot generation easier, troop rebuilds more fluid, and makes all teams strong. Zero downsides.

Fezic

Lochagos
this doesn't make any sense.

Farming villas currently are not used because, unless you bot, it is so extremely tedious that it is nearly impossible for it to be an effective use of res. If I have time to collect, even at 8 hours before bed, it should NOT take me an 30+ minutes just for me to get the res, then I have to do troop ques, festival runs, etc etc.

The point of this tool is you, or any player, should be able to log in, spend res and hit ONE button to collect for ALL cities from ALL farming villages. A tool that everyone has, is not a game breaking feature. It makes slot generation easier, troop rebuilds more fluid, and makes all teams strong. Zero downsides.
Free to play players won't be included in "any player" because they won't have the captain. I'm not ftp so whatever.

Time management has always been part of the game and is somewhat of an equalizer kinda like moral. It's harder as you get bigger.

So when this is implemented a player collecting farms from 20 islands will take the same time as a player with 120 islands.

The exact same effort and time will give the 120 island player 6x more resources than the 20 island player. IMO that's a huge change.

Now as people grow they sacrifice free pop to increase the passive rss generators in their cities to so they don't have to collect from villages or because they don't have time.

Once implemented our 120 cities players will be sending 90 mantis and 420 ls from all their cities instead of having rss generating cities that send 59 manti and 340 ls.
Idk if that's game breaking but it's drastically different.
The change will definitely benefit the more active more but everything does.
I think it will increase the likelihood of one team going wire to wire to win on new servers. I don't know if that is going to be better.
It might be fun for that alliance but will the food stick around to provide competition?
Will it be fun to just be on a dead server running city festivals? It will be easier to do that.

Last edited:

Shuri2060

Strategos
Free to play players won't be included in "any player" because they won't have the captain. I'm not ftp so whatever.

Time management has always been part of the game and is somewhat of an equalizer kinda like moral. It's harder as you get bigger.

So when this is implemented a player collecting farms from 20 islands will take the same time as a player 120 islands.

The exact same effort and time will give the 120 island player 6x resources than the 20 island player. IMO that's a huge change.
Now as people grow they sacrifice free pop to increase the passive rss generators in their cities to so they don't have to collect from villages or because they don't have time.
Once implemented our 120 cities players will be sending 90 mantis and 420 ls from all their cities instead of having rss generating cities that send 59 manti and 340 ls.
Idk if that's game breaking but it's drastically different.
The change will definitely benefit the more active more but everything does.
I think it will increase the likelihood of one team going wire to wire to win on new servers. I don't know if that is going to be better.
It might be fun for that alliance but will the food stick around to provide competition?
Will it be fun to just be on a dead server running city festivals? It will be easier to do that.
idk about you, but afaik the most active players farm frequently despite the detriments of the current system. As irritating as it may be, I can handle 10 minute farms on 50 cities fine, and 100 cities will just take me twice as long.

You're suggesting tedious farming as a way to balance the city gap between small and large players - but I don't think such a balance is necessary. In the first place, why would there be such a large gap? It is probably because one is much more active than the other (or one started very late in the world). In which case it would seem to me that such a feature would benefit the less active player who would otherwise farm less.

The most active players are farming regularly anyway, and such a feature won't change that. It benefits the players who have less time.

Fezic

Lochagos
You're suggesting tedious farming as a way to balance the city gap between small and large players
It's not the culture level gap that is an issue. top players on servers have the most cities. I think we can agree on that.

this is going to make it so they can get resources from each city the same way they do when they have just a few cities.

That eliminates the need to make a 14k city that makes resources. On the server I'm playing all the top player have several 12k + cities.

Nukes don't come from 12k cities they are in 9k cities. These are top players. They know how to make a nuke city. Will there be any need for them to have those 12k cities?

Shuri2060

Strategos
I don't get your point. They have the highest city count for a reason. They are active, they worked for it, they spent the gold for it.

They probably farm more often than you anyways.

Fezic

Lochagos
They probably farm more often than you anyways.

Instead of thinking does this make the game less tedious for me. Which is on the Micro level.

I'm thinking how does this change the game. A macro level.

If this is implemented I will be the guy with the 120 9k cities packed with full nukes. Growing exponentially. Don't doubt that. I'm not complaining; just trying to think about how the game will be different.

Will it be more fun?

Is it going to grow the community?

Last edited: