Favorite Comic Book Moments

DeletedUser49358

Title says it all, feel free to share some of your favorite comic book moments whether its something awesome that happened or something completely ridiculous. I'll start by listing off a few of my own

Batman: A Death in the Family: This is the issue in which the fan base voted to kill off the new robin (Jason Todd) who replaced Greyson after he went to the Teen Titans and Nightwing. Joker captures Jason, beats him repetitively with a crowbar then leaves him tied up with a bomb countdown to go off right before Batman gets to the warehouse as Jason dies in arms. I liked this one not just because a main character dies ignoring plot armor but also how it was a bit on the gruesome side with Jason being beaten with a crowbar, DC could have easily gone a hundred different ways with killing off robin when they got the green light to do so and I think the way they went was pretty good. Also how many times have we seen someone tied up and left to die only to be rescued or save themselves at the last second, nice to see a plan actually succeed for once. BTW there's an animated movie for this issue called Under the Red Hood which imo is the best animated DC movie that I have seen.
Death-In-the-Family.jpg

Superboy-Prime Punches a Hole Through Reality: DC had been experimenting with multiple universes in 1985 during Crises on Infinite Earths where there were multiple Earths with a not bald Alexander Luthor and so on, twenty year later in 2005 in Infinite Crises Superboy-Prime decided to end the paradise timeline he was put in and punched a hole through reality ... yes ... he used his fist and punched a hole through reality. A long list of things happened from this one punch, most notable though was the resurrection of Jason Todd from my previous favorite comic book moment. If you watch the movie Under the Red Hood it attributes Jason's resurrection to Ra's Al Ghul's healing lazarus pit but the the comic book version is much much MUCH funnier.
18m42s8nhskn.png

The Watchmen: Honestly this whole comic is a favorite moment for me, and still imo remains the best comic ever made. The forethought put into this one that leads up to the dramatic ending that places the main characters into a situation of sacrificing morals for the greater good of world one man uses his superior intellect to take the fate of the world in his own hands, yet his methods are beyond abrasive. The whole thing is nearly a repeat occurance of the bombing of the two Japanese cities in WWII where a select few decide if the sacrifice of the innocent is worth the saving of many more. This comic also offers plenty character development, background and personality and is an interesting read from beginning to end. Again for any of you who haven't seen it there's a live action movie for this call The Watchmen which is pretty good.
10d9c4345a4449035ab1edd3c82e8672_xl.jpg

John Steward Green Lantern: DC is known for producing multiple different people as the same hero, regarding Green Lantern the Hal Jordan version is easily the most popular. John Steward came out as the new Green Lantern in 1971 and was the first black DC superhero though not the first in mainstream comics as Marvel came out with Black Panther in 1966. What I liked about John Steward though was his vastly different personality from Hal Jordan, Steward was a marine similar to Hal being a pilot for the air force but other than their military backgrounds the two were completely different. Hal was a showboating joker, a personality that I never felt fit the roll of a Green Lantern, a defender of justice for the universe. Steward on the other hand had a much more stern and serious demeanor about him, he entered fights tactically and planned out his moves instead of the guns blazing fight style that Hal used. To me John Steward was a much better fit for the role of a Green Lantern. There is a live action Green Lantern movie on Hal Jordan but I don't think its that good.
250px-Greenlantern156.jpg

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe: Name says it all in this one, Deadpool decides to go full bloodthirsty killer mode and kills off all the Mavrel Universe with all the BS that ensues. It's not uncommon for Deadpool's healing factor to be taken over the top at times to the point of immortality and this is no exception, at one point Invisible Women uses one of her force fields to blow up his head from the inside out, yet his head grows back almost immediately allowing him to kill her. All throughout this comic Deadpool is given convenient tools to aid him in killing the Marvel heroes such as time travel and a sword that stops healing abilities so he can kill Wolverine and its classic over the top Deadpool writing.
dRokp2Y.jpg

So there are some of my favorite comic book moments, what are yours?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser49358

I thought we had comic book fans on the forum? If this thread dies I'm gonna be very sad :c

DeletedUser

I tink comic books have always been something American. I like this post but couldnt possibly argue with it because I only know comic book characters from movies. Which I will gladly dicuss wit you btw becase I am a huge move junky. :p

DeletedUser49358

But movie comics is such a small pool to work with.

DeletedUser49358

Well I still feel like continuing with this, so I'll list off a few more and see if that sparks any interest and if not ... oh well I guess.

Magneto tears out Wolverine's Adamantium: Magneto has the power to manipulate metal and Wolverine's entire skeleton is coated in metal so it doesn't take a genius to do the math on this one. This is a situation as a reader that you're just thinking to you're self "Magneto can kill Wolverine at any time" but he doesn't, as Magneto isn't too big on killing mutants when he sees humans as the true enemies. He doesn't until he does that is, the incident doesn't kill Wolverine but nearly does and it takes weeks for his healing factor to restore the damage, he also lost his adamantium skeleton and metal coated claws (this is when its revealed that he actually had bone claws) and leaves the X-men until he gets his adamantium back later. While this didn't kill Wolverine it was a crossing the line moment for Magneto who even though is considered a villain, was always portrayed as a misunderstood villain with good intentions who would never kill a member of the X-men. Btw the issue this happened in is X-men Fatal Attractions
x-men-25-010.jpg

Mettalo: When coming up with interesting villains to battle against someone as great as Superman it can be difficult, Lex Luthor is the intellectual challenge, Branic has not only the brains (pardon the pun) but also brute strength to take on the man of steel, Zod is another Kryptonian, but with Mettalo it's a very unique situation. The history of Mettalo differes from the Gold/Silver/Bronze ages of DC and get's changed again in the DC new 52 so I'll keep it as simple as possible. John Corben gets into an accident and has his brain transferred to a robotic body that runs off a large chunk of kryptonite (he can open his chest to expose the kryptonite) for varying reasons Mettalo gets into confrontations with Superman do to being programmed to kill him or loving Lois Lane or simply from committing petty crimes and yes he uses that kryptonite along with his relatively strong body to fight Superman. It's interesting when you think of it how Mettalo was created just to fight Superman and is made literally of his only physical weakness it seems so simple how a robot with a rock can take on this alien god considering how powerful his other foes are. Another quick tidbit is that Lex Luthor once planted false information for Bruce Wayne to find that John Corben (Mettalo) was the man who killed his parent to lure both Superman and Batman into a trap.
Metallo.jpg

Daredevil: When you think of most comic book heroes and heroines it's usually a question of what were they given to make them into a hero, strength, power, motivation, intelligence but with Daredevil its not what was given but what was taken away. Usually heroes and heroines are given something or discover something within themselves that allows them to become a hero and gives them the strength to protect others and fight for justice and all that good stuff. With Daredevil though he lost his eye sight as a young boy and he lost his father soon after to a gang murder, its a situation where even after being handicapped he was still able to become a hero. Daredevil isn't the only hero to have went through a horrible loss (Batman's parents) or be handicapped (Professor X) and still fight crime, but he did start out his crime fighting career with a distinct disadvantage when most of his counterparts only did the same after they were given an advantage that other men and women didn't poses. You can argue that his increased sense of hearing and smell are an advantage but those can also be used against him in situations with loud sounds (gunshots/explosion ect.) or narcotic gasses which are used on him frequently by his enemies, and lets not forget THE MAN CAN'T EVEN SEE!
daredevilbornagain.jpg

EDIT: Added in some sweet artwork to this and op for fun

DeletedUser8396

Have you watched the Netflix Daredevil series, slim? You may like it. I found it incredible.

DeletedUser49358

Have you watched the Netflix Daredevil series, slim? You may like it. I found it incredible.

I haven't, I watched most of the Smallvile series with my father when I was younger since we both enjoyed it and it lasted for forever, have heard people say good things about both the Daredevil and Arrow television series but I haven't bothered to watch television for about the past four years now.

DeletedUser

Comic books aren't really a thing over here, but I did enjoy the Witchblade, Spawn and The Darkness series for a while. I hear Todd McFarlane is planning a proper movie with Spawn with modern special effects, can't wait for that.

DeletedUser49358

Yeah Spawn was pretty good, there's even a short animated series on it.

DeletedUser8396

I haven't, I watched most of the Smallvile series with my father when I was younger since we both enjoyed it and it lasted for forever, have heard people say good things about both the Daredevil and Arrow television series but I haven't bothered to watch television for about the past four years now.

Should give these shows a shot (in order of listed): Arrow (just yes...all the yesses), Flash (lighter, more humorous - very good), Daredevil (non-stop intensity with interesting perspectives), and Marvel's Agents of Shield (havent watched it personally, but I hear good things).

If you watch the later seasons of Flash and Arrow, I'd recommend watching them concurrently. They tie in a bit. Seriously, as a comic book guy youve gotta give them a watch.

DeletedUser49358

Should give these shows a shot (in order of listed): Arrow (just yes...all the yesses), Flash (lighter, more humorous - very good), Daredevil (non-stop intensity with interesting perspectives), and Marvel's Agents of Shield (havent watched it personally, but I hear good things).

If you watch the later seasons of Flash and Arrow, I'd recommend watching them concurrently. They tie in a bit. Seriously, as a comic book guy youve gotta give them a watch.

I usually stay away from most live action adaptations on comics in favor of animated shows, Stopped watching the Marvel movies after The Avengers, too many one liners and not enough actual comic stuff, latest TMNT movie was ehhh, Green Lantern movie was w/e too, Superman has a history of bad and at best mediocre movies, The first two Batman movies in the trilogy were really good then the third one went down the crapper. Most of the X-Men have been good (excluding Wolverine in China *shivers*) Amazing Spiderman movies are just terrible the other Spiderman movies were good though. Watchmen was excellent and Guardians of the Galaxy was alright.

Batman the Animated Series is legendary, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are great especially JLU as it shows tons of DC characters that get a little time in the spot light next to the big names, Teen Titans was popular for reason different than the comic though, TMNT shows are always good (except the latest one) as its pretty hard to mess them up, Batman Beyond was great, Static Shock was good for introducing a new hero, X-men show was good, Spiderman show which is now known for its many memes was good and not to mention all the great animated movies DC has been coming out with.

Live action tends to run into issues of bring things from the panels to the big screen where as animated films and shows don't have that issue as their on the same boundless medium as the comics themselves are, which is why I prefer animated comic adaptations and will probably include some of those moments in this thread.

DeletedUser

I usually stay away from most live action adaptations on comics in favor of animated shows, Stopped watching the Marvel movies after The Avengers, too many one liners and not enough actual comic stuff, latest TMNT movie was ehhh, Green Lantern movie was w/e too, Superman has a history of bad and at best mediocre movies, The first two Batman movies in the trilogy were really good then the third one went down the crapper. Most of the X-Men have been good (excluding Wolverine in China *shivers*) Amazing Spiderman movies are just terrible the other Spiderman movies were good though. Watchmen was excellent and Guardians of the Galaxy was alright.
Netflix's (not TV! :p) Daredevil is a very different take on the whole superhero formula and I would definitely recommend it!

DeletedUser49358

Netflix's (not TV! :p) Daredevil is a very different take on the whole superhero formula and I would definitely recommend it!

There's been tons of variations on what it means to be a hero throughout the years, needless to say you don't use the same formula for over 70 years and still expect to stay interesting especially considering how many times the target audience for comic books and superhero related entertainment has changed.

DC did the whole 'what if heroes tried to rule the world?' and brought into question the actions they take without having any authority to answer to, Marvel did the same with the whole Civil War series, Punisher is basically a huge conditioner to moral code that heroes are expected to abide to, plus all the anti-heroes like Lobo and Deadpool who have blurred lines of ethics, along with heroes that sought after the environment like Aquaman and of course CAPTAIN PLANET!

so yeah variation is nothing new

DeletedUser3613

Daredevil on Netflix is awesome !! and i haven't been a fan of daredevil since Afleck and his crew butchered it !!

DeletedUser44426

Secret Wars 2015 Issue 3

I personally loved how God Emperor Doom reminisces with Strange on how he battled the Beyonders and salvaged several parts of Earth.

DeletedUser49358

For this entry we will be looking at deaths in comic books, not the deaths of heroes or villains, but the deaths of those who are closest to our favorite crime fighting idols.

The Death of Gwen Stacy: Many of you may have seen the new Amazing Spiderman movies and the second one which ended with this very historic event in comic book history. Gwen Stacy was the girlfriend of Peter Parker and loved by the comic book reading community but in one instance where her life was put in danger after falling off a bridge the web slinger was successful in catching the girl but also failed as her neck snapped from the force of the abrupt stop in mid air. This one moment is vastly important for comic books because of huge implications and changes it brought with it that I doubt even the writers could have foreseen. For starters the Spiderman fan base where shocked at the death of such a prominent and well liked character, this was the first mark of a prominent death within the comic book community and it had a lasting affect. The death of Gwen Stacy is now marked as the end of the silver age of comic books and the start of the much darker bronze age, writers saw the reaction that readers had to her death and how much publicity it sparked for the Amazing Spiderman comic and saw it as a calling for more mature comics instead of the previous pre-teen and teenage centered audience. As an example, the Spiderman issue with the death of Gwen Stacy was released in 1973 and eight months later the Punisher made his firs apperance in Spiderman and would later get his own solo series in the early 1980s. The Punisher for those of you who may not be familiar with him is an anti-hero whom after witnessing the slaughter of his entire family decided to bring justice to the villains of the world through murder, torture, kidnapping, extortion, ect... Also after the death of Gwen Stacy came my previously mentioned death of Jason Todd (Robin) in 1988 in Batman Death in the Family. As an added tidbit on this, after the huge success of the second Amazing Spiderman movie Marvel made an alternate Earth, Earth-65 with Gwen Stacy in it which I believe the radioactive spider bit her instead of Peter Parker making her into Spider-Woman. It's a new comic book series that Marvel released at the beginning of this year and only has five issues thus far so if anyone is wants to start reading comics and doesn't know of a good place to start, this new series might not be a bad idea.
Spider-Gwen_1_Anka_Variant.jpg

Death of Sue Dibny: Wife to one of DC comics oldest heroes Elongated Man who first appeared in The Flash comic in 19060 (basically a stretchy guy like Mr. Fantastic) Sue was killed in a controversial series Identity Crisis. So for this one I'm going to start out by presenting this event with the message that DC wanted it to have and then later revealing the rest of the controversial events that were added in and show how they messed up. So the issue starts out with Elongated Man on a stakeout with Firehawk when Firehawk starts asking questions about his wife, Elongated Man goes down memory lane about his past with his wife and how much he loves her but also fears for her safety as she's married to a man with many enemies as Elongated Man's secret identity is known to the world. Later his wife Sue is murdered and badly burned while she was planning a surprise birthday party for her husband, it's also revealed after her death that she had shown positive on a pregnancy test. Her funeral immediately follows up with almost every DC hero attending it and sharing stories about her past and when its time for Elongated Man to say the last words he's too chocked up to even speak, the end. It's a bit of a cheap shot from DC to basically set up a whole issue for the death of one charter while trying to make it as sad as possible by adding in stories and reminiscing of her life before and after her death and especially with whole added pregnancy thing, but the message is effective. Time and time again we see heroes say the line of how their loved ones are in danger because they have so many enemies that want to get to them and would use anyone they hold close as an easy means to doing just that, yet nothing ever seems to come of it other than the occasional being strapped to a bomb only to be rescued, that is until this incident happens. This is the message that DC wanted to portray, that is until they !@#$ it all up in the following issues.

When trying to find the killer the villain Dr. Light ends up being suspect number one as Green Arrow reveals that years before he had once raped Sue Dibny which is the first big point of controversy as the portrayal of women in comics has been highly debated ever since the 60s when Wonder Women was almost always being tied up by the bad guys in almost an erotic fetish despite her super strength. Next we find out that the killer wasn't even an enemy of Elongated Man's but was Jean Loring ex-wife to other superhero Atom. Jean went bonkers and wanted to get back with Atom and thinks that endangering one of the superheroes spouses will get her man back, so she uses of one Atom's old suits to shrink down and enter Sue's brain and try to force her to have a stroke but kills her by accident, while in a state of panic she torches the body. So now we have a gruesome overkill death and the whole message of heroes' loved ones being in danger by their enemies is completely out the window as not only was Sue's death an accident but was by a psycho chick and not even one of Elongated Man's enemies. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster on DC's part, the first issue of Infinite Crisis was one of their best selling comics at the time, but the later issues like this one put a pretty big tarnish on the whole series.
dcmoment65b.jpg

btw sorry for the overly long post this time

DeletedUser8396

Any chance of Spider Gwen ever meeting the beloved Spiderman? I sure hope so. Time to petition.