Feedback for Community Preview 2022.

Hydna

Grepolis Team
We are very interested in any feedback you have about our forthcoming plans. Please post any comments/questions here.

Wlod

Hipparchus
Evolutionary Changes. Not Revolutionary changes.

I think this game needs revolutionary changes to come out of the slump.

Olympus - Main thing to consider if anybody can found anywhere is the map size and putting in more than one portal for ocean.

Server Merges- IMO you should rip the bandaid off and merge all the servers. Won't say no to a couple of thousand more people from the current merge. But ultimately, if you want more dynamic and competitive worlds, its best to accept that you need to condense down to one server and keep each language's forums alive. Simply put, you'll keep bleeding players and failing to get new ones if everybody is fighting on a tiny map and world releases are slowed to once a month or more due to lack of population.

Advertising- Really needs to happen or else these changes are pretty pointless long term.

VIRTUALSELF

Phrourach
The server merge is perfect, but you missed the target really. The idea is great but in reality it is meaningless. Less than 100-150 people remain on scandinavian servers, and around half of them dont fancy a server merge. For .EN servers this "merge" means no more than +25 people pr. server probably.

Grow some cojones and merge .DE, .FR and .EN at least. That would make servers with +5000 players. Combine that with advertisement and you have a game with a recovered ecosystem.

Currently there is no place for new players and casual players. No offence to the scandinavian players arriving, but they will get clapped and get demotivated here. We need a lot of players and advertisement to expand the rim and gameplay for casual and new players.

This is the only thing you can do, time is running out quicker than ever (i do get that you earn much more money on your scammy phone app games, but please do a proper server merge for your company's oldest costumers sake)

kingpg28

Phrourach
@Hydna merge DE, FR end EN then drop a speed 6 yall will make more than enough money to start advertising the game again, that will easy be the most competitive world grepo has seen in years… plus i would be able to stop spending money at the strip clubs and on gold

On settings, I'd actually say start recognizing the difference between a build and unit speed when determining friendliness to a new player. 4/2 and 4/4 are not in the same ball park tiers of difficulty and for someone learning the game, a 4-6 build with a unit 2 would be way more friendly to them than tossing them on a 1/3 where if they get caught off, they're reloading for days on end to replace one city.

VIRTUALSELF

Phrourach
On settings, I'd actually say start recognizing the difference between a build and unit speed when determining friendliness to a new player. 4/2 and 4/4 are not in the same ball park tiers of difficulty and for someone learning the game, a 4-6 build with a unit 2 would be way more friendly to them than tossing them on a 1/3 where if they get caught off, they're reloading for days on end to replace one city.
Thank you. Not many realize this, but the only ones who wants fast servers are good players (who for the most part also happens to be the ones active on externals). The vast majority of players on servers prefer slower speeds. The introduction of spartan training has also made even just speed 3 almost impossible to keep up with after +50 cities

EN138 was speed 6/4 and showed that no one likes that setting when it comes down to it. Server never expanded past 4 core oceans, and the winner was found after 3 weeks.

bertie1969

Phrourach
personally dont matter what you change if worlds are not opened that people want to play often enough and i think to attract new players to start to play the starting of worlds need to be faster i know when i started playing years ago i would have quit after a day or 2 if didnt have a freind to say keep going

i suppose improving the app so it works would be good for app players

i dont see any of the other improvements making any difference

also if going to merge server need a decent translator built into game

Last edited:

VIRTUALSELF

Phrourach
personally dont matter what you change if worlds are not opened that people want to play often enough and i think to attract new players to start to play the starting of worlds need to be faster i know when i started playing years ago i would have quit after a day or 2 if didnt have a freind to say keep going

i suppose improving the app so it works would be good for app players

i dont see any of the other improvements making any difference

also if going to merge server need a decent translator built into game
There is a new app coming soon that will be exactly like the browser version but ofc., optimized to phone use
There will also be language change under settings in the future on .EN

VIRTUALSELF

Phrourach
Of course not lol what do you mean? Google translate has existed longer than Grepolis lol, and it makes the game more interesting that you cant communicate easily with everyone. Can't see how this is a disadvantage in what is supposed to be a strategy game

Thank you. Not many realize this, but the only ones who wants fast servers are good players (who for the most part also happens to be the ones active on externals). The vast majority of players on servers prefer slower speeds. The introduction of spartan training has also made even just speed 3 almost impossible to keep up with after +50 cities

EN138 was speed 6/4 and showed that no one likes that setting when it comes down to it. Server never expanded past 4 core oceans, and the winner was found after 3 weeks.

Oh I meant That there’s a tendency to tag the unit speed as the same speed as the build speed. I think 6 in general is more niche.

But I think a lot of people get turned off by fast unit. For context if you dropped a build 6 and unit 4 conq, you’d have a very fast paced game that a new player might not survive in. If you dropped a 6-3 or 6-2, you have quick progression but it takes 40 min to an hour+ to go across the same island.

The slow to mid unit speed creates breathability. But the fast reload time creates room for error. Couple this with Hephaestus blessing and you suddenly have a solid game environment.

Percy V

Phrourach
To be totally honest the last year or so Inno has kinda been listening to us. IMO they are heading in the right direction.

1. Spam is way harder now, they added the point filter and the 10 min time filter which makes bot spamming wayyy harder. That is a demotivator for new and old players removed (a lot of new players will quit once spammed for a day, and old players will quit eventually).
2. They are starting the server merge. I know it is not enough but it is a step in the right direction.
3. They reworked UI for endgame and are making a new app to attract new players.
4. They reworked the endgames which will make worlds more competitive.

The game is a long way from being revitalized but we can see that they are listening to us now (see the cup half full)

I think it is up to us as a community to keep proposing things and proving to them our points so they act and save the game we all love and have spent time on.

And I agree that faster game speeds with slower unit movements is better for new players. Gives them a lot to do without getting bored and reduces the "needed screen" time which can sometimes be too much for new players.

Lethal-Bacon

Polemarch
To be totally honest the last year or so Inno has kinda been listening to us. IMO they are heading in the right direction.

1. Spam is way harder now, they added the point filter and the 10 min time filter which makes bot spamming wayyy harder. That is a demotivator for new and old players removed (a lot of new players will quit once spammed for a day, and old players will quit eventually).
2. They are starting the server merge. I know it is not enough but it is a step in the right direction.
3. They reworked UI for endgame and are making a new app to attract new players.
4. They reworked the endgames which will make worlds more competitive.

The game is a long way from being revitalized but we can see that they are listening to us now (see the cup half full)

I think it is up to us as a community to keep proposing things and proving to them our points so they act and save the game we all love and have spent time on.

And I agree that faster game speeds with slower unit movements is better for new players. Gives them a lot to do without getting bored and reduces the "needed screen" time which can sometimes be too much for new players.

more often than not, just heading in the right direction with updates and small changes is not enough, this game had issues you listed but they also have a much bigger one, their(inno) complete focus is on money making mobile only games they make, and advertising for this game is not anywhere near their thoughts, and that is the main problem of this game, amount of people still playing it drops more and more without much or anyone joining in...
Even if they merge all big servers into EN about a third of people from other markets wont like it and would quit the game and issue still remains that no new players are added...

i remember the days i saw ads on tv and randomly while browsing the web without even being in germany(their main market) now there is more less none of that lol

it might be nice to change things but majority of old vets that quit the game wont be attracted to join back in at least from what i see so the only chance this game still has is to attract new people but first you have to reach them with ads..

1saaa

Strategos
I just want to re-highlight this. I think this is a great suggestion. Slow unit speed helps bad players (like myself) to still play and enjoy the game. But slow build speed is very demotivating when you lose everything.

Kosti

Phrourach
slow unit speed is so boring. Imagine sending a CS next door and having to wait 25 min for it to land

Percy V

Phrourach
slow unit speed is so boring. Imagine sending a CS next door and having to wait 25 min for it to land
that's the point, it is newbie friendly. It also allows casuals to play. We are not saying that all the worlds should be like that, but enough for new players to enjoy the game.