Feedback on the Battleships Competition

DeletedUser

Hi there folks,
I'm just after some feedback for the battleships competition that Sharky just ran.

My initial impressions, given the lack of destroyed ships, is that the board should be smaller?
15*15 rather than 20*20?

Please let me know opinions on this any anything else. Just trying to improve upon the competition for next time. :)

Tom

DeletedUser44027

I don't participate in it, because it's just a mass of numbers and isn't all too fun. Battle ship is a two-player game for a reason.

DeletedUser11965

I don't participate in it, because it's just a mass of numbers and isn't all too fun. Battle ship is a two-player game for a reason.

I can definitely make it more interesting

DeletedUser3613

I agree with dez about it being a 2 player game and wondered if you could reduce the board size even further than 15x15 and play multiple rounds with their being an eventual winner, or even a large board with 2 teams taking alternate turns or even team turns ?

DeletedUser

I think potentially taking a list of people who want to play beforehand, dividing them up into two teams, letting them place their own ships and then pitting two teams against eachother would be good.

But actually, if you were to set a limit on participation, you could do multiple 1v1s, good old knock out style tournament...

DeletedUser

You could have multiple day-long 1v1s happening at a time.

Say 16 people entered, you could do 8 1v1 at the same time, lasting two days.
After two days, you have 8 people left.

4 1v1s for another two days.

Then you have 4 people left etc etc
Whole thing lasts just over a week.

My issue with this is that it isn't particularly inclusive. Towards the end, there will be just a few people taking part.

DeletedUser44027

Well, there was something I played on a forums a while back, called the cunning game. Basically, you get two people, and they each have to guess a number out of ten. Everyone else on the forums knows the answer, and can say it freely- or not. They have to try to convince the guy that they want to lose to pick the wrong number, and the guy they want to win to pick the right number. So player one would go first, people would try to tell him which number to pick, and then he'd choose. If he gets it wrong, Then player two goes, and does the same thing. It goes back and forth until somebody wins. It generally fell apart pretty quickly, but it did get a lot of people. Just a suggestion. That could be a 1v1 where everyone is involved.

DeletedUser3613

or you do a type of battleships like the football cards in the pub 50x50 battleship is one square first person to suggest a square has it, 2 squares per player per round, duplicate suggestions dont count and then everyone can get involved and it keeps the admin minimal, you could even time limit it per round